1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1st Gen Ram Wire Diagrams

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2021, 11:12 AM
Armyof1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10v ignition power (good battery) suggestions ?

I have a 92 ram with the Cummins that only has 10v across the ignition wiring anything and everything "key on" only has 10v including the glow plugs PLEASE HELP , COULD THIS BE A RELAY or is there a common issue some one can help me with

Old 11-07-2021, 01:54 PM
Polye86_RoyalSE
Rookie
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Armyof1
I have a 92 ram with the Cummins that only has 10v across the ignition wiring anything and everything "key on" only has 10v including the glow plugs PLEASE HELP , COULD THIS BE A RELAY or is there a common issue some one can help me with
typically speaking, if a battery has less then 11-11.2 volts while turning the key that’s not enough to fire the ignition system. Try trickle charging or hot boxing it to start. if the battery’s are more then 3-5 years old it may be time for replacement 🤷🏻‍♂️ Could be dead cell.

as far as inspections, clean and secure all ground points?

Last edited by Polye86_RoyalSE; 11-07-2021 at 02:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Xombi (11-07-2021)
Old 08-15-2023, 06:21 PM
StraightSixList

Originally Posted by 86Dodgeman
So I think this should be a permanent post. It took me months of scrubbing the internet, but I finally found a set of First gen Wire Diagrams that give all wire color codes for ALL components, unlike Chiltons and other manuals that don't break down ignition switches and so on. I know they are accurate for my 86 for most wires (some components not installed on my truck), and I know the ignition wires match my setup which is what I have been looking for forever. I am not 100% sure how many years they apply to for first gen trucks, but it is better than nothing and should help A LOT of people out on here. I know they helped me more than I can express in words.
Will the wiring harness off of an 83 fit an 87 then? I understand some odds and ends may come from small equipment devices . I have moved a straight six from an 83 to an 87. The 87 had a straight six as well. The mechanic said it was a no go?

Old 08-15-2023, 06:26 PM
StraightSixList

So the wiring harness from an 83 D150 straight six should fit fine on an 87 straight six D150? Last 'mechanic' said it wasn't complying.

Old 08-15-2023, 08:49 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by StraightSixList
Will the wiring harness off of an 83 fit an 87 then? I understand some odds and ends may come from small equipment devices . I have moved a straight six from an 83 to an 87. The 87 had a straight six as well. The mechanic said it was a no go?
the mechanic is correct in the aspect of a 83 harness is not plug and play with a 87. they went from a 40 pin firewall connector to a 50 in 84 or 85 but i would say if your mechanic was decent at wiring he could have made it work

The following users liked this post:
StraightSixList (08-15-2023)

Quick Reply: 1st Gen Ram Wire Diagrams