1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Random Stalling Mystery.....93 B150

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 05:43 PM
olddaddy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random Stalling Mystery.....93 B150

I'm posting here because I believe mechanically my 93 B150 Van is the same as the 1st gen Ram trucks, 5.2/318 V8, automatic trans, throttle body etc.......I started having random stalling at idle, then under acceleration, at highway speeds and then deceleration and so on. I studied the forums, looked up the codes and got advice from a retired Mopar mechanic I know. This led to a long string of parts replacements, but not a cure of the stalling. To date I've done the plenum gasket, cleaned throttle body, replaced distributor, wires, plugs, all filters, PCM, EGR, ECT, TPS, MAP, coil, idle air control, intake air temp sensor, fuel pump, fuel pump relay and filter. It stalled so bad yesterday I barely got it up to speed to drive it home. It showed code 37 when I got home, torque converter sensor/trans temp sensor. I don't see one on my truck unless I'm looking in the wrong place, the side of the bellhousing.

I'm at a loss for what to do next. Any advice? Any good Mopar techs online I can contact and pay for advice? My local shops are not interested in 25 year old Dodge vans!

I've owned this truck for 12 years, it's high mileage, 255K, but well cared for. The only thing on the truck that has not been rebuilt or replaced is the lower end of the engine. I drive it daily and keep it in good shape except for this stalling mystery.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by olddaddy; 05-06-2018 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Will it restart immediately? Or do you need to let it cool for a few minutes first?

Old 05-06-2018, 09:26 PM
olddaddy

When I'm at a stop the restart is immediate. At speed it is more like a stumble or like the engine shuts down and immediately restarts. When braking I have to put it into neutral and restart, but it always restarts immediately. It runs like a champ also, freeway speeds daily and accelerates like normal. The code 37 makes me wonder if it is actually transmission related since most of the gear on the engine is new.

Old 05-06-2018, 09:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Do you have a scanner you can plug in, and see what's happening when it stalls? Considering it will do it under almost any conditions, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't just a loose/dirty connection somewhere. Maybe even a bad ground.....

Old 05-06-2018, 09:34 PM
olddaddy

I don't have a scanner, but considering how much I've done without result I'd be willing to buy one. I have no idea what to buy or where to get it or even how to hook it up........I'm guessing you would know?

Old 05-06-2018, 09:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

What? Me? Oh hell no.

Trouble is, your is OBDI...... Something that would do data logging would be great. Trouble is, it's seriously outdated technology, (as computer equipment goes) and not many folks support it anymore. What you REALLY need is the ability to do data logging. Very few of the cheap hand-held fellers are going to do that trick, and even finding one for OBDI is gonna be tough. Maybe have to purchase "real" software, and a cable. (cable can be had for 50 or less.....) The free software packages just don't support enough of the sensors. I haven't done anything with OBDI for quite a while now, so, I am rather out of date on that scene.

Yep. I am tired. Just re-read that...... I am going to go to bed I think.

Last edited by HeyYou; 05-06-2018 at 09:45 PM. Reason: because I can.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:47 PM
olddaddy

Well, thanks for the effort. Hopefully there is a solution somewhere.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:58 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

did you actually test fuel pressure? did you replace the crank position sensor? also after you replaced the distributor did you get the fuel sync set?

Old 05-07-2018, 07:30 PM
olddaddy

Fuel pressure was right around 49-50 at time of install, may check it again this weekend. Crank position sensor is new, fuel sync was set. Sorry for the delay in replying, first day on a new job today.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

What brand crank sensor?

Congrats on the new Job.

Quick Reply: Random Stalling Mystery.....93 B150