1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

350 Power Ram Restore/Rebuild

Old 05-31-2019, 07:04 PM
gongo999
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350 Power Ram Restore/Rebuild

Hi! first of all, sorry about my bad English. (Second Language)

I really need som help With my Project. A few months ago i bought my dream car, an old Dodge pickup. 350 Power ram. (my dad had one before he passed)
These cars are really hard to find in Norway, so the car i got need ALOT of work. Fixing the exterior is no problem, but the engine is a little bit worse. It got no engine, gear or transfer...

Then i got the brilliant idea, to buy an 2001 Dodge Durango. Ripped the engine and drivetrain from it, + the interior. this one has 5.9 magnum.
So now i got the 1991 Power Ram Chassis, and the engine and drivetrain from a Durango 2001. I was Thinking the 5.9l engine would fit without any problems, because the ram had the 5.9.But Guess what, it didnt fit…
The Power ram lacks the Engine Mount "ears" on the frame, the Mounting that should fit on the Transfercase is 15cm away from the Durango gearbox.

Then i got to ask all of you Dodge experts out there, do you have a Clue where i can order an engine Mount kit to to put a 5.9 Magnum in a 1991 truck ?
I would love to just build this, but it would be expensive to "approve" the welds, to get the car legaly on the road.

I also need to know what kind of gearbox i have, thinking 46re??
The transfercase is on the left side, i need one With the drop on the right side, where do i look to order one?

Hope you guys can help me.
-Leif

Old 06-01-2019, 09:16 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

welcome. the 5.9 should have the ears on the engine block to bolt into the 91 but you will need the motor mount brackets which you are likely missing. you might be able to find them on a 92-98 ram vans. you can find them in older vans but if the van doesn't have a 5.9 you will have to ad some spacers between the adapter and block since the magnums us the 5.9LA engine ears which are thinner. i am not as familiar with the 46RE or the transfer case bolted to it but i think you will need np241 but pretty sure they may be a bit trickier to find since they were only used from 88-93 with a right drop.

Old 06-02-2019, 02:39 PM
gongo999

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
welcome. the 5.9 should have the ears on the engine block to bolt into the 91 but you will need the motor mount brackets which you are likely missing. you might be able to find them on a 92-98 ram vans. you can find them in older vans but if the van doesn't have a 5.9 you will have to ad some spacers between the adapter and block since the magnums us the 5.9LA engine ears which are thinner. i am not as familiar with the 46RE or the transfer case bolted to it but i think you will need np241 but pretty sure they may be a bit trickier to find since they were only used from 88-93 with a right drop.
Thanks, will start looking for the brackets.

About the gear, I have found a 727 with transfer on the right side.
People say it will bolt on the Magnum without any problems, do you know if it is true ?

Old 06-02-2019, 07:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

It will, but, it doesn't have the cutout for the crank position sensor. (if you aren't going to use that sensor, then it just doesn't matter. ) Need year-matching flexplate, and torque converter though. 360 is external balance, and where they put the weights changed over the years.

Old 06-02-2019, 09:10 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

but the 01 5.9 should have a neutrally balanced flex plate that should bolt to any torque converter without weights. otherwise yes should bolt to a 727. just depends on whether you are trying to keep the fuel injection or not. may need to get the computer flashed or replaced with a standard transmission one so it won't pop up a bunch of transmission related codes.

Old 06-03-2019, 12:04 PM
gongo999

I did not intend too keep the fuel injection, looking for a carburator kit.
will do some kind of standalone kit in a couple of years, but taking the easy way with carb first.

About the torque converter, could you please give me a partnumber/link of type that would fit ?
or push me in the right direction of important meassurments/info to know when ordering one.

I have the original converter from the durango now, this wont fit ?

Old 06-03-2019, 01:40 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

if the 727 has one it is best to use the torque converter that came with it. pretty sure the torque converter from the durango will not work with the 727

Old 06-03-2019, 09:51 PM
rebeltaz83
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The Durango T/C will be a locking, not recommended to use in a non locking trans. It'll burn the clutches inside the T/C and send all that material through the rest of the trans. Resulting in premature failure. Best bet is to use the 727. The RE from the Durango will need to have the ECU to work properly. Unless you use the entire dash assembly from the Durango with the engine harness and dash harness your gonna be splicing wires.

A locking trans will have a smooth nose on the pump shaft then go to splines. A non locking will have splines the whole way.

Old 06-04-2019, 05:33 PM
gongo999

Thanks for all the help so far! awesome forum!

After spending the day searching for parts, most is in place. Even found it here in Norway..

727 with transfercase,

New torque converter for 727, neutral balanced.

Motormounts.

wireharness for the whole car and original instrument panel.

everything should be here in a week.

Total cost of the whole project so far, including both cars..: about 920$ ��

Only the small stuff left.:

Anyone know of a good intake manifold for the 360 magnum? edelbrock?

The truck got a 6 inch skyjacker lift kit, want it original. where to order leafsprings?

Bodyparts for welding, possible to order, or just make it myself?

Old 06-04-2019, 05:35 PM
gongo999

Thanks for all the help so far! awesome forum!

After spending the day searching for parts, most is in place. Even found it here in Norway..
727 with transfercase,
New torque converter for 727, neutral balanced.
Motormounts.
wireharness for the whole car and original instrument panel.

everything should be here in a week.

Total cost of the whole project so far, including both cars..: about 920$ ��
Only the small stuff left.:

Anyone know of a good intake manifold for the 360 magnum? edelbrock?

The truck got a 6 inch skyjacker lift kit, want it original. where to order leafsprings?

possible to order bodyparts for welding, or should i just make/fix myself?

Last edited by gongo999; 06-04-2019 at 05:37 PM. Reason: alot of spaces between the lines

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 350 Power Ram Restore/Rebuild