1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1985 w100 custom

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2021, 11:38 AM
Howlingtiresngasfires
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 w100 custom

I just bought a well used 1985 dodge w100 custom with a 318, single cab long bed with a auto. It is not getting any fuel to the motor. I'm figuring the pump is out, I'm just learning about carbs and older vehicles. Can anyone tell me anything I should know? Even basic things

Old 08-28-2021, 04:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,195 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Electric, or mechanical fuel pump?

Old 08-28-2021, 04:41 PM
Howlingtiresngasfires
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Electric, or mechanical fuel pump?
Electric I think, it has two wires running to the gas tank but I havent opened it yet

Old 08-28-2021, 05:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,195 Likes on 2,948 Posts

If it's electric, should be at least three wires running back there, need the gas gauge too.

Follow the fuel line down from the carb. If there is a mechanical pump, should see it.

Old 08-29-2021, 10:14 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 576 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by Howlingtiresngasfires
I just bought a well used 1985 dodge w100 custom with a 318, single cab long bed with a auto. It is not getting any fuel to the motor. I'm figuring the pump is out, I'm just learning about carbs and older vehicles. Can anyone tell me anything I should know? Even basic things

On my old '84 W150, it was a mechanic fuel pump. They are down low on the passenger side of the block with a fuel line going to the carburetor. Unhook the line coming from the tank and run a fuel hose from that connection into a gas can. You may have to shoot a little starting fluid into the carburetor, but when it starts, it will start drawing fuel from the can. If it doesn't, your pump is probably bad.Ethanol can eat them up as it wasn't around when it was built. If it runs and dies, replace the pump. If it does run, check your fuel line for rust. I had an old Dodge with severe fuel starvation and when I put an electric fuel pump on it, the fuel line sprang many little leaks. The steel line had rusted in several places.

The following users liked this post:
Howlingtiresngasfires (09-04-2021)

Quick Reply: 1985 w100 custom