1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

86 Ram Electrical Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2021, 12:01 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

anyone who wants the Lean burn functional is either nuts or lives in California.....

and by "wont turn over"...... when you hit, the key does the starter crank the engine? THAT in and of itself is all that "turning over" means..... IT HAS NOTHING to do with whether an engine fires or starts or runs.
sorry that one drives me NUTS.
If it spins over but wont start is a whole lot different trail to troubleshoot than if the starter doesn't "turn it over"......

Old 10-16-2021, 08:21 PM
Polye86_RoyalSE
Rookie
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by volaredon
anyone who wants the Lean burn functional is either nuts or lives in California.....
it’s due to the truck being low miles original. Grabbing restorative parts where able, since the truck ain’t getting any younger.

Old 01-13-2022, 04:22 PM
OldBlue86
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBlue86
I Thank you both for the advice. I will keep working on it whenever I get the chance and when I do finally get it figured out I will make a post with the conclusion so you all know the outcome and the future generations will have know what is up with this.

Thanks Again!
Ok guys sorry it's been a long time.
I have tinkered with the problem every now and then when I have time. I Did replaced the fusable link then replaced a relay that I think was bad. Today I got the truck to run for a couple minutes but while it did it was CHUGGING. Then out of nowhere the link I replaced burned again! So I once again am at a loss.

I havent done anything to convert the ignition yet I'm actually in the process of moving and I figure I'll dive into that on the back end if thats what I decide.
As always any help us appreciated. thanks all.

Old 01-13-2022, 06:12 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

You have to find out what that fusible link powers up. I doubt its the ignition, that doesnt take much power. Whether a "Lean Burn" truck or not, that series of Dodge trucks have 5-6 fusible links under the hood.
I have always hated them. I have rewired a couple, adding an underhood fuse box from a newer vehicle under my hood, running any circuit that used to have a fusible link thru a "MAXI" fuse. You have to have the wiring diagram right there handy if you even think about doing something like this, I did lots of research on fusible links, before I made my modifications to determine how strong to fuse what circuits.
and that Haynes manual?? Its best used to rip pages out of it to start fires with. All but worthless. get a factory manual.

Quick Reply: 86 Ram Electrical Issue