1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1st Gen Ram Tow Truck Value?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2021, 09:49 PM
Skatulaki
Rookie
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"How did Dodge Colt put so much into such a little Car" I remember the jingle all too well back in the day ! I probably would only take one if they paid me to haul it off, and that might be my loss, we all have our choices :-) Then again your talking to someone with an 84 Fiero Indy

Old 11-16-2021, 09:34 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by Skatulaki
"How did Dodge Colt put so much into such a little Car" I remember the jingle all too well back in the day ! I probably would only take one if they paid me to haul it off, and that might be my loss, we all have our choices :-) Then again your talking to someone with an 84 Fiero Indy

It's the GF's brother. He's in poor health and needs the money. A good guy, it's one way to help him, he doesn't take charity. The little car actually runs pretty good. With gas prices like they are, I figure someone will want a beater with a heater. I probably won't make any money but I can probably break even.

Old 12-02-2021, 10:48 PM
Skatulaki
Rookie

Ok Finally got some pics

Old 12-02-2021, 11:06 PM
Skatulaki
Rookie

The interior pic did not come out so well, I was time crunched, and taking the pics while on the job. Anyway here they are, and looking at the chain holding up the rear boom, tells me there is hydraulic problems. The way I see it, it is pretty close to scrap metal, So I don't want to give him a whole lot for it, and it will take a long time and lots of green to get it back right ! There are always way more problems than can be seen, and I'm also thinking more toward $500 for initial offer. I'm hoping I can apply to his wanting to know its gonna be fixed up right, instead of being half fixed up and sold to a sucker. I'm also hoping some green will make an influence. I certainly do not want to insult him, but this truck has ceased to be usefull to him since 08, and it doesn't look like it will be usefull for the trade, I just want it as a project!

Old 12-03-2021, 09:07 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by Skatulaki
The interior pic did not come out so well, I was time crunched, and taking the pics while on the job. Anyway here they are, and looking at the chain holding up the rear boom, tells me there is hydraulic problems. The way I see it, it is pretty close to scrap metal, So I don't want to give him a whole lot for it, and it will take a long time and lots of green to get it back right ! There are always way more problems than can be seen, and I'm also thinking more toward $500 for initial offer. I'm hoping I can apply to his wanting to know its gonna be fixed up right, instead of being half fixed up and sold to a sucker. I'm also hoping some green will make an influence. I certainly do not want to insult him, but this truck has ceased to be usefull to him since 08, and it doesn't look like it will be usefull for the trade, I just want it as a project!

It's missing the upper boom. Yes, the chain on the wheel lift is a concern. $500 is way low ball. If the engine isn't locked up, it's a good $1000 to $1500 truck. The body looks solid if beat up. Being a Florida truck, it's worry about salt spray eating the frame. If the transmission and PTO are still good, you can swap another tow bed onto it. If it's been sitting for 13 years though, figure on new tires.

Old 12-03-2021, 10:06 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

If it's been sitting for 13 years..... I think 500 bucks is reasonable. Anything that sits that long is going to need a boatload of work.

Old 12-04-2021, 10:04 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 362 Likes on 340 Posts

Point out the things that need replacing/fixed (windshield etc..) and the cost to do so then give him your offer. That's the way i buy.

Old 12-07-2021, 10:20 PM
Skatulaki
Rookie

The way I see it , The property, much of it is run down, The vehicle obviously is, None of it has likely been properly cared for. I think $500 is a good starting offer for "as is" Maybe a couple hundred more if he lets me get it up and running where it is, so that I don't have to "Tow" a "Tow Truck", most tow companies now use flat beds with winches.

What I see here is : A windshield, battery, starter, alternator, fresh gas, a couple tires, and some govt paper work to just drive it to the shop. $300 , + $100, $120, $200, $50, $300 . A grand, just to drive it off to the shop (minimum ) not counting the temp tag and ins. Or a pretty fat tow fee ! And that is if the brakes are not also shot ! It will also take far more work than that to even make it functional, let alone what it will cost to make right !

It will also take years, and thousands to get it right. If you look at the interior photo you can see a reflection of the building condition, I don't expect the truck to be in much better condition.

I think the old boy is just full of wishfull thinking when he speaks of fixing it up and selling it. I know full well he can't do it, or he would have already. His mechanic is just some old guy in a small pickup that does small jobs for him. I'm thinking if I show up with 5 Blue Greens, he might go for it !

Old 12-08-2021, 12:05 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

like i already said $500 is a low offer and he could likely scrap it for that much or maybe even more but i guess there are tons of people like you who low ball the crap out of people to the point where they will likely sooner scrap it than sell it to people like you. you really sound like one of those people i hate dealing with when selling things nit picking something to justify your price.

Old 12-08-2021, 08:10 PM
Skatulaki
Rookie

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, and it may not be a wrong one. But that is the difference between someone who knows just how many problems there can be, and just how much work its going to take to strip that monster down, and clean and replace and paint everything and make it look really good. I suppose I could say that you are the type of guy who thinks all your beat up crap is worth top dollar, I could also suggest that you need re-take reading comprehension as I specifically stated "Starting Offer for as is". I too am entitled to my opinion and it also may not be a wrong one.

See this is how deal making works: I can offer $500, and he can say sure, get it out of here, I don't want to look at it any more. Or he can come back with say, $1500, and i can say no and walk away, Or I can say, well at $1500 it is no longer an as is offer, Go get the key and a battery, and lets see if this puppy starts up and runs, and the transmission works, the tires hold air, and I'm going to crawl under it and open the hood and look at several things. Then he can say I can get $600 for it for scrap, and I can say ok I'll give you $600 for it. Or he might say well all right give me a $1000 since the windshield is busted and I don't want to buy a battery for it, and I might come back with How about $800 and I give you $50 bucks a month to let me work on it in your lot until I get it up and going , and if I need any tires, I'll buy them from your tire shop! ( i have 2 rides right now that need tires soon )

Quick Reply: 1st Gen Ram Tow Truck Value?