1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1st Gen Ram Tow Truck Value?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2021, 10:52 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

so just because the vehicle could have a ton of problems and cost thousands to make running or driving he should give it to you for cheap? hahaha ya that really doesn't help make you look any better. you could spend $30-40k restoring it and at the end of the day it is still only worth $15-20K. old vehicles can be money pits but vehicle still have fare values and $500 even close. heck that cab alone would likely sell for $1000-1500 here with no glass or doors.

Old 12-09-2021, 07:38 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
so just because the vehicle could have a ton of problems and cost thousands to make running or driving he should give it to you for cheap? hahaha ya that really doesn't help make you look any better. you could spend $30-40k restoring it and at the end of the day it is still only worth $15-20K. old vehicles can be money pits but vehicle still have fare values and $500 even close. heck that cab alone would likely sell for $1000-1500 here with no glass or doors.
Location plays a big role in pricing...... Condition is also a determining factor.

I sold my 96 2500 4x4 5.9/auto for 600 bucks, and it was running, and driving. It had issues, and I knew it, so, I sold it cheap. Here we have a truck that is far WORSE condition that my old truck was, doesn't run, and has been sitting for more than a decade. 500 bucks is a reasonable offer. (and probably slightly more than what scrap price would be.)

Old 12-09-2021, 09:17 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I sold my 96 2500 4x4 5.9/auto for 600 bucks, and it was running, and driving. It had issues, and I knew it, so, I sold it cheap. Here we have a truck that is far WORSE condition that my old truck was, doesn't run, and has been sitting for more than a decade. 500 bucks is a reasonable offer. (and probably slightly more than what scrap price would be.)
have you scrapped anything recently? $0.15/lb here and it has been that high all summer. this load brought in $85. assuming the truck weights 5000lbs that is still $750 in strap metal plus if it has cats they may even have addition value on their own.

Old 12-09-2021, 04:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Last time I scrapped anything, it was barely worth the trip. (although, I had a LOT of stuff..... got a bit of money for it.) But, that was pre-pandemic. Prices may have gone up since the last time I went.

Still and all, its only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, or, what someone is willing to do to make it go away. You get better prices if you deliver.. if they have to come get it, not quite so much.

I would still only offer 500 bucks for it. Worst that can happen is he says "no".

Old 12-09-2021, 05:17 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

Last time I scrapped anything, it was barely worth the trip. (although, I had a LOT of stuff..... got a bit of money for it.) But, that was pre-pandemic. Prices may have gone up since the last time I went.
".
price have gone up and stayed up because of the pandemic.

a solid project vehicle is always worth paying a bit more for. heck i paid $1000 for my 1 ramcharger that needed just as much as that truck is not possibly more. no bakes, didn't run, needed 4 tires and windshield , no 2nd gear and the oil light is always on once warm. had to pay someone to tow it to my place. i fixed what was needed. yes it cost money but it is not like you see these as much anymore. heck most of the time you see people asking stupid money for them or people parting them out because they parts are almost worth more than selling them as a whole. heck just saw someone list a ramcharger shell for $3500. the same guy also has a truck cab listed for $1800 and the stuff sells.

Old 12-09-2021, 05:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
price have gone up and stayed up because of the pandemic.

a solid project vehicle is always worth paying a bit more for. heck i paid $1000 for my 1 ramcharger that needed just as much as that truck is not possibly more. no bakes, didn't run, needed 4 tires and windshield , no 2nd gear and the oil light is always on once warm. had to pay someone to tow it to my place. i fixed what was needed. yes it cost money but it is not like you see these as much anymore. heck most of the time you see people asking stupid money for them or people parting them out because they parts are almost worth more than selling them as a whole. heck just saw someone list a ramcharger shell for $3500. the same guy also has a truck cab listed for $1800 and the stuff sells.
But that was a Ramcharger. Around here, them fellers make hen's teeth look downright common. Anything you do find, you can't park outside, as the wind will blow the rust off, and you won't have a truck anymore.

Granted, tow trucks aren't exactly common either..... but that one is more of a project than I would consider taking on..... WAY to much work, just to get it to run.

Old 12-09-2021, 05:51 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

but that one is more of a project than I would consider taking on
if i had the space for more vehicles i would take something like that on. i bet it is really not that bad.

Old 12-09-2021, 06:50 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

I think a few folks here need to take a chill pill. Low ballers have come back to vandalize vehicles I've been selling. Bad idea as the police use my road for a short cut. Getting snotty with someone who calls you out is unacceptable. This isn't Fakebook where the system encourages that. Let's just all cool down. Talk to the owner and ask what his bottom dollar to see the truck running again would be. Go from there. You catch a LOT more bees with honey than vinegar.

Old 12-09-2021, 09:11 PM
Skatulaki
Rookie
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well , I'm sticking with my initial offer. If it didn't have a manual shift I wouldn't even be looking at it. I'll go talk to the old boy, I think he knows I'm interested, however I've only seen him twice, the first time I asked what he was going to do with it, the second time, if I could take a couple pictures. Might be a couple weeks but I'll let you know how the negotiations shake out !

Old 12-09-2021, 09:16 PM
Skatulaki
Rookie
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So you use a classic El Camino to haul scrap ? And you make judgement calls against me? Guffaw !

Quick Reply: 1st Gen Ram Tow Truck Value?