1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1st Gen Ram Tow Truck Value?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2021, 08:06 PM
Skatulaki
Rookie
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1st Gen Ram Tow Truck Value?

New member here: Hi all !

Ran across an old boy who is selling his place ( gas station /tire shop , now just tire shop ) He's got a first Gen Tow truck that is honestly quite beat up and it hasn't been on the road since 2008. Windshield busted out, interior trashed, some rust , plenty of dents, and no idea if it runs. I asked him what he was gonna do with it, and like all 86 year old men , he has plans to fix it back up and get it road worthy before trying to sell it ! Plans of course that he is too old and never going to do ! It's a well patinaed red that could pass for Sanford and Son towing !
I want to go back with $800 in cash to buy as is, provided he lets me get it running while on premises so that I may drive it to my shop. Am I being generous or a cheapass? I think I'm being fair, and maybe a bit generous since I really don't know what I'm getting into. Vehicle problems set aside, theres plenty of problems with the tow mechanisms that can be had as well. I haven't made an offer yet. What you all think ?

Old 11-14-2021, 07:56 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

Don't know what the market value on an old tow truck is. Might look around and get an idea. Also might talk to the owner and ask him what he would want for it as is.

Old 11-14-2021, 08:24 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Can’t tell without pictures.

Old 11-14-2021, 11:00 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Skatulaki
New member here: Hi all !

Ran across an old boy who is selling his place ( gas station /tire shop , now just tire shop ) He's got a first Gen Tow truck that is honestly quite beat up and it hasn't been on the road since 2008. Windshield busted out, interior trashed, some rust , plenty of dents, and no idea if it runs. I asked him what he was gonna do with it, and like all 86 year old men , he has plans to fix it back up and get it road worthy before trying to sell it ! Plans of course that he is too old and never going to do ! It's a well patinaed red that could pass for Sanford and Son towing !
I want to go back with $800 in cash to buy as is, provided he lets me get it running while on premises so that I may drive it to my shop. Am I being generous or a cheapass? I think I'm being fair, and maybe a bit generous since I really don't know what I'm getting into. Vehicle problems set aside, theres plenty of problems with the tow mechanisms that can be had as well. I haven't made an offer yet. What you all think ?

What year? Is the frame around the windshield straight enough for new glass? What rating? 2 or 4 wheel drive? Standard cab or oversize for a medium duty rig? Pictures are a definite must.

Old 11-15-2021, 01:41 AM
u2slow
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

$800 may be rock-bottom $ on the tow gear... not even counting the truck (assuming cummins). Careful you don't tick the guy off.

Check into licensing and insurance for towing. It was a huge eye-opener for a colleague when we were in our 20's. He bought an ex AAA F450; thought it would be easy to make a few $$$ on the side... not so much.

Also watch the GVWR. 10k# doesnt give you a lot of headroom, and is why most towtrucks start at 14-15k gvwr these days.

Old 11-15-2021, 05:49 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

really hard to say without seeing it. first gens have been going up in value over the last few years but condition drastically effects the value. i personally don't see him taking $800. i could be wrong but last scrap run i did i was getting $0.15/lb for shred and assuming it weighs 5000-6000lbs it could be worth $750-900 just as scrap. also there is a reason you don't see regular cab tow truck any more. it all comes down to weight and GVWR. most new tow trucks are a crew cab for the extra weight. just like towing a trailer you generally want to weigh at least 10% more than what your towing. the extra weight help them get better traction both taking off and stopping. most new vehicles are fairly heavy.

Old 11-15-2021, 06:03 PM
Skatulaki
Rookie

These are some file photo's I found . It looks pretty much like this with some exceptions, No grill guard, not 4 wheel, Don't think its diesel, and I don't believe it has the Boom on the back, just the hydraulic lift that sticks out of the back, and doesn't look as good. I think just a 1 ton 2wd Dualie . I may be back up that way this week and take some pics.
If you saw it, you would know why I'm thinking $800. I just want to rebuild it, I didn't have any desire to go into business. Thought it would make a good project.

Old 11-15-2021, 06:11 PM
Skatulaki
Rookie

$800 may be rock-bottom $ on the tow gear... not even counting the truck (assuming cummins). Careful you don't tick the guy off.
​​​​​​​
Naturally I'm trying to avoid that, I confess I don't know anything about tow trucks or their value, as beat up as it is, I'm expecting lots of problems, or it would have been in use, and it hasn't been even moved in some time.

Old 11-15-2021, 08:12 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Skatulaki

These are some file photo's I found . It looks pretty much like this with some exceptions, No grill guard, not 4 wheel, Don't think its diesel, and I don't believe it has the Boom on the back, just the hydraulic lift that sticks out of the back, and doesn't look as good. I think just a 1 ton 2wd Dualie . I may be back up that way this week and take some pics.
If you saw it, you would know why I'm thinking $800. I just want to rebuild it, I didn't have any desire to go into business. Thought it would make a good project.

Just a boom lift isn't actually a tow truck. Yes, it will recover a vehicle and tow it, but as for recovering many vehicles, it's limited. You can't recover a 4X4 vehicle for instance. All it can do is recover small cars. On the other hand, I bought a 1984 rust buggy many years ago that turned into a good old truck. This was 20-25 years ago and I paid $1500 or so then. 2wd isn't as desirable. Heavier duty adds value. Unless it has terminal tin worm, I'd say it's a good $1500 truck. As the fellow what he would like to get for it. The GF's brother has a 1990 Dodge Colt and I'm thinking of buying it from him for $750 if it runs.

Old 11-15-2021, 09:40 PM
Skatulaki
Rookie

Again, I seriously doubt it runs, smashed windshield, trashed interior, beat up and dented , well patinaed, a couple questionable tires, the tag has 08 on it. I'll get some actual pics as soon as I can.

Quick Reply: 1st Gen Ram Tow Truck Value?