1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

88 with 93 30 gal sputter problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2021, 09:32 AM
Maki
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 with 93 30 gal sputter problems

Replaced my 22 gal with what I was told was a 30 gal off a 93. Put a new fuel pump in that was the right model for the 30 gal, but had a filter that looked like it was the 34 gal tanks. Serial matches so I didn’t put too much thought into it. Problem has been that after the initial fill, it hits E after 13-15 gallons used. Today it nearly stalled going uphill on E but only took like 12.7 gallons at the station. Is there a certain orientation that the fuel level stick has to face? Currently it’a facing to the rear of the truck. Unsure of what the issue might be if it’s not that of why I’m not able to use the full tank

Old 12-16-2021, 09:33 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Aren't there alignment arrows on the tank/pump module?

Old 12-16-2021, 09:38 AM
Maki
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Aren't there alignment arrows on the tank/pump module?
not that I saw. I’ll pull the planks at some point today and check.

Also checked my order and it was a Carter P74660M Fuel Pump

Old 12-16-2021, 09:55 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

That is the correct pump for the 30 gallon tank...... Though why it should run out of gas after only burning 12 gallons or so, is rather odd. I might be tempted to completely drain the tank, then fill it up, and see how much it will actually take.....

Old 12-16-2021, 12:54 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

did you adjust the fuel pump before installing it? they are adjustable in length so you can make sure they are touching the bottom of the tank. for shipping/storage purposes they likely have it set as short as possible to take up the least amount of space. also depending on your preference i will also usually bend the float arm some. you bend it down if you want it to stay on F longer and then be more accurate when closer to E. if you bent if up it will move off F quicker but be more conservative when you get closer to E

Old 12-16-2021, 05:33 PM
Maki
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
That is the correct pump for the 30 gallon tank...... Though why it should run out of gas after only burning 12 gallons or so, is rather odd. I might be tempted to completely drain the tank, then fill it up, and see how much it will actually take.....
The original fill up was about 35 gallons but I also drove between two gas stations, which accounts for the extra burned.

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
did you adjust the fuel pump before installing it? they are adjustable in length so you can make sure they are touching the bottom of the tank. for shipping/storage purposes they likely have it set as short as possible to take up the least amount of space. also depending on your preference i will also usually bend the float arm some. you bend it down if you want it to stay on F longer and then be more accurate when closer to E. if you bent if up it will move off F quicker but be more conservative when you get closer to E
This might actually be it. I’m going to be looking at a 5.2l Shortbed 88 this weekend and if I get it will probably be swapping the gas tanks. If I don’t, either way I’ll pull the pump Sunday and check it out

Old 12-17-2021, 12:35 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

there really isn't much difference in depth between a 20 and 30 gallon tank. the 30 gallon tank is longer and larger on the big end

Old 12-17-2021, 02:14 PM
Maki
Amateur

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
there really isn't much difference in depth between a 20 and 30 gallon tank. the 30 gallon tank is longer and larger on the big end
I noticed that during the swap but when I was trying to find the fuel pump, the manufacturers had the 22s as being incompatible with the 30s

Old 12-19-2021, 12:16 PM
Maki
Amateur

I’m assuming this is the directional arrow and of course it’s pointing to the rear passenger tire...also assuming it should be pointing to the front of e truck?

EDIT: Also, I do have a return line despite this pump not having one. It had a blank plate that I ended up drilling through and adding some fittings to dump the gas back in and that seems to be working just fine

Last edited by Maki; 12-19-2021 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12-19-2021, 07:38 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

it shouldn't matter which way the sending unit sits as long as you can hook everything up and the float arm has room to go up and down without hitting anythings. also sounds like you may have ordered the wrong sending unit if you need one with return line and it didn't have one. it should still do the job. i am cheap and just usually replace the pump/pickup screen. i don't replace the whole assembly unless the sending unit is acting up.

Quick Reply: 88 with 93 30 gal sputter problems