1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1987 dodge d100 that jumped time

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2022, 11:12 PM
Richard myers
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 dodge d100 that jumped time

I have a 1987 dodge d100 5.2L. The original cam sprocket, witch had the plastic coating on it broke all apart as I was on my why to work. Been trying to fix it but not sure how to set the time back in time I have done timing work on other vehicles similar to this set up but never dealt with this problem of jumping time. Been told things by a few people to try and tried but no luck. Looking for any advice please help

Old 01-23-2022, 07:43 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

You need to replace the timing chain and gears. When you get the new set there will be marks on both gears that you line up and that's how you set it. If the plastic broke off the gears you need to remove the pan also because the plastic finds ti's way into the pick up screen.

Old 01-23-2022, 09:30 AM
Richard myers
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparite
You need to replace the timing chain and gears. When you get the new set there will be marks on both gears that you line up and that's how you set it. If the plastic broke off the gears you need to remove the pan also because the plastic finds ti's way into the pick up screen.
I have done so.. new timing set, cleaned the pan and screen. Lined the marks up. Cranks over but won't start back up. I was going down the highway doing 60 when this happened

Old 01-23-2022, 10:19 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Might just be 180 out. With the dots on the cam and crank gear lined up, cylinder 6 is actually in firing position, not 1.

Moving this to First Gen Ram section for ya.

Old 01-23-2022, 11:38 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard myers
I have done so.. new timing set, cleaned the pan and screen. Lined the marks up. Cranks over but won't start back up. I was going down the highway doing 60 when this happened

Pull the #1 spark plug out and rotate the engine by hand. I usually will use a wooden dowel rod but you can use a screwdriver to watch the piston. When it gets to TDC (ttop dead center) check your rotor location. Chrysler engines use a flat tab on the bottom of the distributor shaft. Unlike Furds for instance where a gear rotates to rotor when you lower it into the block, you can pull the distributor and rotate it half a turn (180 degrees like HeyYou said). This will get you close and should get it running. Then you can time it. That nylon coating on the gears made the cars run really quiet when new but with age, it comes apart.

Old 02-09-2022, 06:34 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

if the timing chain did jump, you may have some bent valves. meaning heads need to come off to replace them, in other words a "valve job".

Old 02-09-2022, 09:11 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by volaredon
if the timing chain did jump, you may have some bent valves. meaning heads need to come off to replace them, in other words a "valve job".

The valve should be okay. The 318 isn't an interference engine.

Old 02-10-2022, 07:03 AM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Not if it only jumps a tooth or 2 but I've seen it happen on a 360 before.

Quick Reply: 1987 dodge d100 that jumped time