1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How to drop gas tank?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2022, 03:52 PM
tjco
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to drop gas tank?

I had a fuel line or something above my gas tank that blew and started spewing gas all over the place. I’ve been trying to get the tank down so that I can check it out but I can’t figure out how to get the front strap off. It’s got this L shaped bracket that’s bolted to the frame, which the tank sits on top of. When I try to turn the nuts it just spins the bolt too but I can’t get a hold on the bolt head because it’s between the frame and the tank. I sat and thought for a minute and managed to get one nut loose by putting a pry bar between the bracket and the frame and forcing the bolt to stay still, but then I got to thinking again and even if I get these bolts out, how am I gonna get them back in and tighten them? Is there an easier way to go about this that I’m not thinking of?

I’ve also seen a few people online recommend just removing the bed to replace the fuel pump and stuff. Is that the way to go? If so how is it connected and how much of a pain is it to get off?

Old 06-24-2022, 10:57 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by tjco
I had a fuel line or something above my gas tank that blew and started spewing gas all over the place. I’ve been trying to get the tank down so that I can check it out but I can’t figure out how to get the front strap off. It’s got this L shaped bracket that’s bolted to the frame, which the tank sits on top of. When I try to turn the nuts it just spins the bolt too but I can’t get a hold on the bolt head because it’s between the frame and the tank. I sat and thought for a minute and managed to get one nut loose by putting a pry bar between the bracket and the frame and forcing the bolt to stay still, but then I got to thinking again and even if I get these bolts out, how am I gonna get them back in and tighten them? Is there an easier way to go about this that I’m not thinking of?

I’ve also seen a few people online recommend just removing the bed to replace the fuel pump and stuff. Is that the way to go? If so how is it connected and how much of a pain is it to get off?

There were a lot of changes during the 1st gen production. What year do you have along with how is it equipped? I'd cut the nut and maybe the rod holding the strap. You can buy new straps and rods. If you want to remove the bed, they are held down by anywhere from 4 to 8 bolts. Usually 4 or 6. There may be a wiring connector at the back. I would suggest visiting the U of Y (University of Youtube) and look for a video on removing the bed from a Dakota. Some trucks are easier than others.

Old 06-24-2022, 11:26 PM
tjco
Amateur

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
There were a lot of changes during the 1st gen production. What year do you have along with how is it equipped? I'd cut the nut and maybe the rod holding the strap. You can buy new straps and rods. If you want to remove the bed, they are held down by anywhere from 4 to 8 bolts. Usually 4 or 6. There may be a wiring connector at the back. I would suggest visiting the U of Y (University of Youtube) and look for a video on removing the bed from a Dakota. Some trucks are easier than others.
the truck is a 1992 w150 with a 318 and a 5 speed. After looking at it today, I think my bed only has 4 bolts mounting it so removing it may be the way I go. I’ve done some looking on YouTube but I’ve only managed to find one guy that has the same bracket type strap that I have, and his truck was 2wd so he just didn’t remove the bracket and slid the tank out sideways. I don’t think I’ll be able to do that because my transfer case will block it.

Im also thinking about just cutting the whole strap and buying new ones but I’ve only found a few for sale on rockauto and they aren’t the same kind as mine so I’m nervous about buying them and not being able to fit them onto the truck.

Old 06-25-2022, 12:40 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

the truck is a 1992 w150 with a 318 and a 5 speed. After looking at it today, I think my bed only has 4 bolts mounting it so removing it may be the way I go. I’ve done some looking on YouTube but I’ve only managed to find one guy that has the same bracket type strap that I have, and his truck was 2wd so he just didn’t remove the bracket and slid the tank out sideways. I don’t think I’ll be able to do that because my transfer case will block it.

Im also thinking about just cutting the whole strap and buying new ones but I’ve only found a few for sale on rockauto and they aren’t the same kind as mine so I’m nervous about buying them and not being able to fit them onto the truck.

I had an '84 W150 that the rear fuel tank strap broke. For a while, I used wire to hold it up. You can get large coils of wire for rebar at home improvement stores and it's heavy stuff. I eventually replaced it but it's been so long I don't remember how I did it.

If you remove the bed, you'll need to unhook your lights and the fill tube assembly. Pop the tailgate off first though. Why lift more weight than you have to.

Old 06-25-2022, 02:42 PM
tjco
Amateur

I had an '84 W150 that the rear fuel tank strap broke. For a while, I used wire to hold it up. You can get large coils of wire for rebar at home improvement stores and it's heavy stuff. I eventually replaced it but it's been so long I don't remember how I did it.

If you remove the bed, you'll need to unhook your lights and the fill tube assembly. Pop the tailgate off first though. Why lift more weight than you have to.
Yeah I thought about just trying to rig it with something like that temporarily but this truck is already such a ****box lol I’m trying to fix this stuff the proper way so I won’t have to go back and do it again. I think the removing the bed is gonna be my easiest path unfortunately but good call on the tailgate. How heavy is the bed though? Something myself and a buddy could manage or do I need to get several people to rip this thing off?

Old 06-26-2022, 10:35 AM
ol' grouch
Champion

Yeah I thought about just trying to rig it with something like that temporarily but this truck is already such a ****box lol I’m trying to fix this stuff the proper way so I won’t have to go back and do it again. I think the removing the bed is gonna be my easiest path unfortunately but good call on the tailgate. How heavy is the bed though? Something myself and a buddy could manage or do I need to get several people to rip this thing off?

I've put fuel pumps in by raising a corner and slipping some wood into the gap, lift another corner, more wood and so on. It's not very stable but I was by myself. I've helped do it at friends shops by being one of four guys. It's a bit heavy, but mostly bulky.. I've also seen a brace and cherry picker engine hoist raise the bed.

If you have the bed off, I'd replace the fuel pump while I was at it since it's right there. This would also be a good time to run the Mark I eyeball over the brake lines, shock mounts and so on.

Old 06-28-2022, 11:43 AM
tjco
Amateur

I've put fuel pumps in by raising a corner and slipping some wood into the gap, lift another corner, more wood and so on. It's not very stable but I was by myself. I've helped do it at friends shops by being one of four guys. It's a bit heavy, but mostly bulky.. I've also seen a brace and cherry picker engine hoist raise the bed.

If you have the bed off, I'd replace the fuel pump while I was at it since it's right there. This would also be a good time to run the Mark I eyeball over the brake lines, shock mounts and so on.
Okay, solid. I’m doing most of the work on my own so I’ll probably grab some scrap wood and try raising each corner like you said. I intend to do a fuel pump and sending unit while I’m in there, my gas gauge has been acting up for months anyway. I appreciate the help! Hopefully I’ll have this thing going again pretty quick

Old 06-28-2022, 10:12 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Okay, solid. I’m doing most of the work on my own so I’ll probably grab some scrap wood and try raising each corner like you said. I intend to do a fuel pump and sending unit while I’m in there, my gas gauge has been acting up for months anyway. I appreciate the help! Hopefully I’ll have this thing going again pretty quick

I got about 6 landscaping timbers and cut 4 of them into 2 foot sections. I used them to make bulkheads to support the bed. Replacing the pump while it's up is just good sense. Why do it twice. You have most of the work done already. It's like replacing the front seal on a transmission when you put an engine in. Several hours of aggravation for a $25-30 part.

Quick Reply: How to drop gas tank?