1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help a newbie in his 74 w100

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2023, 11:31 PM
mason100
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help a newbie in his 74 w100

Dodge gang! Nice to meet all of you, I'm new here but so far love what this community has to offer. A heads up before we dive in, I am a total newbie to automotive restoration and repair so please excuse my lack of knowledge in advance. I wanted to start this thread to catalog my restoration journey as a total newbie and glean as many insights as possible from this knowledgeable community before I begin the process and along the way.

The story of acquiring my 1974 W100
Last week I purchased a 74 w100 318 5.2L in Michigan. It began its life in 74 with its first owner in Denver Colorado and then was purchased by a family neighbor in Michigan who graciously allowed me to purchase it from him at next to nothing.

It is being shipped out to me in Los Angeles this week and will arrive next week, so I am in the repair/restoration planning phase (as much as I can be remotely) while I anxiously await its arrival. I own a marketing agency so I work long hours, but at night I have been studying automotive mechanics like I'm preparing for the LSATs, and reading the original repair guide that at this point, I will admit, is mostly a foreign language to me. My father, who still resides in Michigan, went to look at the truck before I purchased it and identified a few issues that needed handling to make it road ready before I shipped it out to sunny Southern California. The previous owner gave me the name of a local mechanic and I had it dropped off for repairs. Last week I flew it out to Michigan to check the mechanics' work and give it a test drive. The great news is that it runs really well! Is it rough around the edges? Absolutely. The wear and tear of harsh Colorado and Michigan winters aren't kind to an old truck. However, the previous owner did a great job keeping a record of previous work done on the vehicle so I have a pretty good idea of the most recent work done on it.

Here is a full summary of work done on the vehicle and corresponding repair dates, that I know of, to help guide any advice the forum can give.
    • Driver Door Repair
    • Alternator Replacement
    • Battery service
    • WheelCylinder replacement
    • Oil & Filter general service
    • Water Jacket Plug Replacement
    • Fuel Pump Replacement
    • Fuel Filter Replacement
    • Engine Tune Up
    • Rebuilt carb and installed new carb kit
    • Installed new battery
    • Tigten distributor gear
    • R and R alternator and voltage regulator
    • Tighten rear u-bolts for differential
    • Fuel Line Replacement
    • Fuel Sending Unit Replacement
    • Carb Filter Replacement

Here is a link to a folder of videos/photos of the truck

Based on my limited knowledge, I believe the following repairs have to be made:
  • Body work (new moulding for the passenger side, dents, new paint, light taillight bezel, new bumper, etc)
  • Interior updates:
    • Bench is missing foam on the drivers side - actively searching for a replacement if you have one!
    • New Accelerator pedal (mine is just straight up missing and there is a hole straight through the floor pan where the stud ball mount should be)
    • Glove box is hanging on by a thread
  • New muffler - Currently doesn't have one at all
  • New tailgate - actively searching for a replacement if you have one!
  • Horn doesn't produce sound when pressed - Dont know how to diagnose/fix
  • Wiring under the hood seems old/fire-prone
  • New Floor pan - Rust from Colorado and Michigan winters did a number on the thinner metal areas on the portion of the pan on the side facing the ground
  • New Instrument Panel
  • Steering wheel column cover? - Im sure this isn't what this is called but you'll see its held on by zip ties in the folder of photos
  • Fuel Gauge not delivering correct level reading - Dont know how to diagnose/fix
  • Speedometer not showing correct speed - Dont know how to diagnose/fix
  • Am radio doesn't work and needs to be replaced
There are a few issues I am not sure the cause of or how to fix.
  • Sloppy Gear Shift - I have driven a lot of manual cars/trucks and I've never experienced a gear shift as sloppy/loose as this one. When shifting gears it's so sloppy it feels more like I'm navigating an O pattern than an H pattern. No idea if this is an issue/common with this model or how to fix.
  • Trouble shifting from higher to lower gears - Tough to explain, but very apparent from a "feel" perspective, the truck seems to have some issues downshifting, specifically into 2nd. (I only drove it for about a half hour and may be due to me still figuring out the threshold to feather in the gas to rev match when downshifting, but my Dad mentioned similar issues after his test drive so I don't think that's the case).

Right now, my main goal is to make it daily driver quality, pending a deeper inspection of the rust's depth and breadth (spent some winters outside in Colorado and Michigan before ending up in my possession). My main priority first is making sure its super solid mechanically, then I will move on to cosmetic repairs. While I build my knowledge set, I am fine outsourcing specific projects that would be too advanced for me to try myself, but my goal is to eventually be able to fix anything and everything myself.

Obviously, without being hands-on it's tough to diagnose any issues, or give recommendations, but based on the provided visuals I'd love to hear from everyone where the best place to start and any thoughts on the specific repairs/part needs mentioned above it would be greatly appreciated. Also, what would you test the second it's delivered? What general updates do you see typically are needed on this model?

Thank you for your patience and help in advance!

Old 06-13-2023, 09:11 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,191 Likes on 2,944 Posts

For a 74 living in Michigan, that is in REALLY good shape..... What trans and t-case in it?

Old 06-13-2023, 10:16 AM
mason100

Originally Posted by HeyYou
For a 74 living in Michigan, that is in REALLY good shape..... What trans and t-case in it?
Here are all the components listed in the reference sheet under the hood, I believe it’s a NP436 SPD 6.88. I’m new to this so not sure how to identify t case type unless you can identify based on the reference code sheet. Based on all of the above, any advice on where i should start or about any of the above issues I mentioned?

Old 06-13-2023, 10:54 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,191 Likes on 2,944 Posts

Ok, NP435 trans, I don't see anything about T-case there... might be I just cant read it. Trans is a top-loader, so, probably just some worn parts in the shift tower, etc. Gonna have to pull it and check it out. I don't recall if the floor plate just bolts in place on that one, or if you need to drop the trans.

Old 06-13-2023, 11:43 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 575 Likes on 521 Posts

The transfer case should have a metal plate on it. Normally round but I've seen a square tag on some. Figure on rust in hidden places. Being a Colorado, then a Michigan truck, you can bet there will be some. With the list you have, going into detail will be difficult. I'm assuming that between the age and it's a truck, it's exempt from emissions testing.

First repair. The horn. Did you have the key on when you tried it? If not, turn it to the run position and hit the button. I've had several trucks this vintage and the first one I thought the horn was broken but it only works when the key is on so kids and dogs can't stand on the button while you're in the feed store. If that doesn't work, take a long piece of wire and touch it to the tab the wire goes on. If it doesn't honk, check the base where it's bolted to the body. If it's not rusty, your horn is bad.

Old 06-14-2023, 06:32 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 349 Likes on 329 Posts

Common problem with these is the amp gauge and the wires at the bulkhead connector. You can read about it here.

Old 06-15-2023, 10:16 AM
Machomur
Professional

I believe I have a steering column cover I can sent you if you want it.

Old 06-15-2023, 10:46 AM
mason100

Originally Posted by Machomur
I believe I have a steering column cover I can sent you if you want it.
That would be amazing! I will pay for shipping of course. I'll PM you to coordinate.

The following users liked this post:
Machomur (06-15-2023)
Old 06-15-2023, 10:50 AM
mason100

Read through this article last night! Had no idea this was a common issue but seems like it should be high on my priority list considering the potential outcome of the AMP gauge putting too much stress on the firewall bulkhead connector. Thanks a bunch! In your experience is there a top brand to use for the wiring for this update?

Old 06-15-2023, 10:52 AM
mason100

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
The transfer case should have a metal plate on it. Normally round but I've seen a square tag on some. Figure on rust in hidden places. Being a Colorado, then a Michigan truck, you can bet there will be some. With the list you have, going into detail will be difficult. I'm assuming that between the age and it's a truck, it's exempt from emissions testing.

First repair. The horn. Did you have the key on when you tried it? If not, turn it to the run position and hit the button. I've had several trucks this vintage and the first one I thought the horn was broken but it only works when the key is on so kids and dogs can't stand on the button while you're in the feed store. If that doesn't work, take a long piece of wire and touch it to the tab the wire goes on. If it doesn't honk, check the base where it's bolted to the body. If it's not rusty, your horn is bad.
Thanks for the input! When I tested the horn the vehicle was on and running. Once it arrives I'll do the test you mentioned. Are you able to specify a bit more where I would touch this wire to in order to test it? sorry total newbie here

Quick Reply: Help a newbie in his 74 w100