1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need help with 1991 D150 with 318

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2023, 03:16 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 576 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by Joner's Motors
Wouldn't the computer throw a code if that happened?

No. On OBD II, especially newer ones, it would because you have crank position, cam position and even maybe flatulence sensors. You're running OBD I. While it was advanced for the time, it's closer to what came in your car than an OBD II system. Add fuel injection and a roller cam to the 270 that came in your car and you'd have what you've got now.

Don't get me wrong, I like OBD II, but for purely mechanical issues, a vacuum gauge, volt/ohm meter and wooden stick will find and solve a lot of problems on OBD I. Personally, I would have gone through that engine on an engine stand before I dropped it in. However, that's just me. Do a timing chain and add a high volume oil pump to compensate for worn bearings. If you have slop in the timing chain, it's fairly easy to do in the car.

Old 07-02-2023, 03:21 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

if it truely is a 91 computer it is only firing injector 1 and 2. definitely seems like a fuel related issue if it will fire with gas in the intake.

Old 07-02-2023, 03:28 PM
Joner's Motors
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
No. On OBD II, especially newer ones, it would because you have crank position, cam position and even maybe flatulence sensors. You're running OBD I. While it was advanced for the time, it's closer to what came in your car than an OBD II system. Add fuel injection and a roller cam to the 270 that came in your car and you'd have what you've got now.

Don't get me wrong, I like OBD II, but for purely mechanical issues, a vacuum gauge, volt/ohm meter and wooden stick will find and solve a lot of problems on OBD I. Personally, I would have gone through that engine on an engine stand before I dropped it in. However, that's just me. Do a timing chain and add a high volume oil pump to compensate for worn bearings. If you have slop in the timing chain, it's fairly easy to do in the car.
I'll do what you said and check the timing Chain, but I feel like it wouldn't run as well as it does a jumped chain.

Old 07-02-2023, 03:30 PM
Joner's Motors

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
if it truely is a 91 computer it is only firing injector 1 and 2. definitely seems like a fuel related issue if it will fire with gas in the intake.
so the 91 computer only fires injector 1 and 2, and 92 and above fires all of the injectors?

Old 07-02-2023, 04:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,211 Likes on 2,962 Posts

Wouldn't the computer throw a code if that happened?
If cam/crank signals were "too wrong", the PCM might toss a code, but, the PCM has no way to know which cylinder is next in firing position, it only really cares about which injector is next. And it only gets a vague notion on that...

However, if the OP has a 91 computer in there, it will NEVER run that engine. The programming is so wrong, it's almost funny. First thing that needs to happen is the correct PCM needs to be installed.

Old 07-02-2023, 04:03 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

here is the pinout for a 91 computer

and here is the pinout for a 92/93

Old 07-02-2023, 04:46 PM
Joner's Motors

I guess I'm buying a 92 computer. Hopefully that fixes it.

Old 07-02-2023, 07:59 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

I'll do what you said and check the timing Chain, but I feel like it wouldn't run as well as it does a jumped chain.

I've seen jumped chains keep an engine from running period to running, but without power. I had a '54 Coronet with the 241 Hemi that jumped time and while it ran, I barely got over a hill on the way home. A new timing set and it ran with modern traffic once I put later wheels with radial tires on it. It ran 80 mph so your car with a more modern engine ought to haul the mail just fine.

By the way, when you get it running, put radial tires on it with later model wheel covers. The 50's covers won't stay on radial tires. The third time I had to chase down factory wheel covers, I put newer ones on it. I had completely rebuilt my front end but it still followed every crack and rut in the road. Radial tires cured that and it was actually fun to drive.

Old 07-03-2023, 08:01 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 352 Likes on 331 Posts

Do you still have the original pcm? It should have a # on it. That is what you need to get. I'm surprised it ran on 2 cylinders!

Old 07-03-2023, 09:47 AM
ol' grouch
Champion

I'm wondering what engine we are talking about here. The engine in the video is definitely a Magnum. Those came out in the '92 model year. I remember because I tried to buy one but it sold before I could get to the dealer. The 1991 was the last of the LA version with roller cam and TBI.

I'd still check the timing chain due to the miles. However, a lot of my advice was for a pre-magnum power plant.

Quick Reply: Need help with 1991 D150 with 318