1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Having fun with an old truck

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2024 | 08:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Erm, snow???? Is that a current pic?? Where are you at? (I see West Texas..... I had no idea they got snow in Texas.... Certainly didn't when I was there. )

Old 09-23-2024 | 09:07 PM
Los_Control
|
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Erm, snow???? Is that a current pic?? Where are you at? (I see West Texas..... I had no idea they got snow in Texas.... Certainly didn't when I was there. )
Exactly .... The picture is a few years old .... one of those things where they say it is going to snow ...... Yeah right I will believe that when I see it! Why I got caught without the truck not covered.

When we came here the first time in January 2018 and were house shopping we stayed in a centrally located motel .... we had a ice storm that caught everyone by surprise.
The Dodge Caravan was covered in ice 1/4"-1/2" thick .... We were stuck in the motel for almost a week before the roads were cleared for travel.

I do not remember how many days I-20 was shut down, there was so many wrecks everywhere .... We do not salt the roads or prepare for it. We just do not have the budget for the equipment since it is maybe needed once every 3 years.
At least 2 weeks after the ice storm, driving down the freeway you would see semi trucks off the road rolled over waiting their turn to get towed in .... it was a mess.

So yeah West Texas, we get our weather but never believe it til we see it.

Old 09-23-2024 | 10:19 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou

Texas gets snow fairly often. Usually just flurries and more towards the Austin area. I got caught in some heavy snow in Texas though back in the 70's. I had just come out of Minnesota so I didn't have any trouble but everyone else on the road did.

Old 09-24-2024 | 08:32 PM
Los_Control
|
Professional

I got the carburetor put back on .... I should try to start it and see how things go, I do not have a choke cable connected and she does like some choke when cold.
The existing installed choke cable is old and I have a new one to install, I also need to install the throttle cable .... would be nice to give it a fast idle while sitting and running for awhile to mimic driving conditions. ..... Everything I have done in the past was just temporary ... now I want final products installed, final cleaning and proper paint.
I need to get under the dash and wire everything, work on the wiper motor ..... basically everything in the cab needs to come out .... just premature to install a new choke cable now.

Its a dirty girl inside, been over a year since I finished welding in the floor .... one favor I did do for my self is make the seat base removable.
They are brazed into the floor from the factory permanently. ..... I did not have the bottom of the seat and picked up some Chebby Silverado buckets for $50 to get the truck on the road.
Newer Silverado seats have a 3 point seat belt built into them and they will bolt to this existing base I built. These seats will work for now.

So the original base is now installed upside down and flipped left to right. Upside down gave me a nice wide flange to use 14, 3/8" grade 5 bolts to bolt the base down to the cab.
Left to right made the base slope forward, while the slope in the seat risers slope backwards .... just makes for a very comfortable seating situation.

I also like the little shelf created on each side under the seat, passenger side will mount a emergency first aid kit, drivers side gets a fire extinguisher, under the seats is a ton of storage space for whatever .... I will have to build a console for drinks holder in between and thinking a stereo mounted in it. .... future problems.

All I'm saying, is connecting a choke cable means first I have to gut out the existing interior pieces pressure wash, I need some heat under the dash to free up the cowl vent, I need to prep for paint and paint everything .... Then I can install a choke cable along with everything else .... The fun just never ends with a old truck.

Old 09-24-2024 | 09:22 PM
Los_Control
|
Professional

I want to mention I did try to start the truck with no choke cable, that was a failure ... seemed like a no spark issue.
I did get fuel pumped into the carburetor and I have a strong stream of fuel coming from the accelerator pump .... the carb is fine.

I did start a different thread on the new condenser situation when I switched to a ballast resistor and 12V and was getting random starts .... for example I started it and drove it into the work area .... I let it run and a 1/2 hour later it died, I have not been able to get it to run again.

I have done some good troubleshooting on the system I think. I know I'm getting 6.7 volts at the coil when sitting with the points closed, getting 9.7 V when the starter is cranking.
So the ballast resistor is doing what it should going in and out of the coil to the distributor .....
I have put a brand new NOS condenser into the distributor and have good spark to the plugs.

What I'm worried about is the coil is brand new .... Is it supplying proper voltage to the plugs? .... I can install my old known working 6V coil to test that theory.

Also the standard ballast resistor install has 2 power wires going to the distributor.
1 wire is connected to the start position of the ignition switch and bypasses the ballast resistor. ..... it sends a full 12V to the points to start ... once started you release the key to run position and it runs off of the variable ballast resistor at 8-9 V.
While that sounds simple enough to wire in ..... I have a stomp starter or a pedal on the floor to push and that activates the starter ....
The only way I can send 12V to the points temporarily to start is by a toggle switch .... turn it on to start, off when started. What a hassle.

I'm just saying I do have a couple ideas to try here .... I'm also wondering if now might be the proper time to switch to electronic ignition and bypass all the BS.
So I'm going to move forward with the interior work and work on the engine running in my spare time. .... I'm not worried about it not running .... just need a long term solution for now and a new coil may be all I need.

Old 09-24-2024 | 09:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Electronic ignition gets my vote. More reliable, hotter spark, less fussing about.

The following users liked this post:
Los_Control (09-24-2024)
Old 09-25-2024 | 06:45 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion

You still will need the ballast resistor if you keep the present coil. You could get a coil that doesn't need a ballast. You could wire in a relay so it bypasses the ballast when cranking the motor.

Old 09-26-2024 | 08:04 PM
Los_Control
|
Professional

Ok I spent a few days on it, the carburetor turned out perfect and is a non issue.

I removed the distributor and went through it as normal and I checked everything but spark at the plugs.
I have a spark tester that goes in between the plug and plug wire .... I found now I had no spark to the plugs. ..... I think I found the intermittent problem.

Seems it is my 75 year old distributor lost a insulator to the points. While it is connected exactly like it always is .... I got voltage to the points, but when the points closed .... the spark went to ground.

I think this will explain how it worked and after a few years it worked sometimes and now it does not work at all.
With the distributor installed and the points closed, the electricity went to the engine block .... the easiest path.
With it on the bench and connected to a battery, the points took the brunt oh the electricity ..... I connected it and the points literally caught on fire and had a 2" tall flame.

My best guess is the insulator between the coil wire to the distributor is bad .... I can fix this issue.
I found a wrecking yard on carpart.com in NM that has the electronic distributor I need for the conversion .... it is on it's way here to me in TX ..... $47 with shipping.

So time to move on to the interior and get back to that later. ....... These old trucks are tons of fun .....

Quick Reply: Having fun with an old truck