2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

MyGIG Software Update

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 09:11 AM
TBoneElbow
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MyGIG Software Update

futil - I will check the ID3v1 tags to see how they are set, and set them or correct them if necessary. I doubt Gracenotes applies here as these are MP3 files that I ripped myself. I will see what happens when I add files that are definitely not in Gracenotes in any form.

Regarding your comments about playing songs across artists, I was specifically referring to the option to play an album via the [Album] button. There should be some way to play MP3 tracks in a user-defined sequence, even if the album was copied to the HD from an external source. If the radio can do that now, then they don't need to fix anything, but informing users how to achieve that result is important. I will contact HK directly about this if I can't get it to work.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:48 PM
futil
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The point I was trying to make was whether it was pulled from the Gracenotes DB, file name, or the Tag the radio definitely disregards the track info. So I wasn't saying that there was anything that you were doing wrong or that there was a lack of info from your MP3 files.. Just that there is a lack of ways to sort songs within the radio due to the way the radio removes or disregards track info from the name/file.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:43 PM
jvandover
Amateur

If the mygig sorted by folder (aka the way it is more then likely arranged on your mp3 player/flash drive) then it wouldnt have this issue.

Also, I don't know how the whole gracenotes thing works. But I can tell you that if you burn songs from a CD, it will put them on the radio in the order they appear on the CD. Off of a flash drive, it sorts them by artist and by album but within the album listing instead of being by track number (which is the obvious, and in my mind ONLY acceptable way to do it) it sorts them alphabetically.

The only solution I have come up with is to burn all my albums to CD, then to the HD. It isnt that big of a pain for me, as I don't have that much music, but for people with 30,000+ songs, they MUST make an update to fix it. There is no reason for it to not work like any other mp3 player on the planet, and use a folder sorting system that uses artist -> album -> track.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:02 AM
futil
Veteran

It's been a while since I have heard from Harman Becker about the software release so I contacted them again requesting when the release date will be..

They said that there is 1 bug left to work out in which the red ball iconis left on the map after reaching a destination and that bug should be fixed on Monday, So after that they have to incrementally retest, copy, duplicate then finally mail out the updates.

So, I would assume 1 week before actual release.

Just wanted to keep youupdated.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:33 PM
nightshade72

ORIGINAL: futil

It's been a while since I have heard from Harman Becker about the software release so I contacted them again requesting when the release date will be..

They said that there is 1 bug left to work out in which the red ball iconis left on the map after reaching a destination and that bug should be fixed on Monday, So after that they have to incrementally retest, copy, duplicate then finally mail out the updates.

So, I would assume 1 week before actual release.

Just wanted to keep youupdated.
You think they will be available for download?

My dealer is wanting to replace my RER due to it randomly crashing and rebooting (reboots *every* time I try and load MP3's via USB stick)

I figure I will get that done this week, and then will have the update available by then.. maybe get all the issues worked out. I had the beta software installed and it didn't help with the crashing either. (went back down to 9.561 as soon as I found out that 9.705 wasn't an actual release)

Old 03-09-2008, 03:24 PM
futil
Veteran

Well Chrysler is supposed to be hosting theseupdates but "They are afraid they will not have the bandwidth to meet the demand and are afraid it will bring their site down if they do host it" and Harman Becker seems to have the same issue and refuses to allow the images to be downloaded at their site.

I offered to host the images forHarman Becker and Chryslerand while I am not an official download source I have been given a green light to host them when they are available by Harman Becker Even though they will not allowanyone to downloadthe updatesfromthem so I'm stuck waiting for the CDs.

I don't get how Chrysler can't find the bandwidth to host these images but I can (Even though I'm borrowing a server and a gigabit fiber line from my job for this task) but I work for a small company and Chrysler should have better resources to handle demand.

But Harman Becker said that Iwas allowed tohost them for you guys to download so I will get them up as soon as I get them.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:09 PM
klibby

Yeah, that doesnt make much sense, they should have plenty of resources. As far as them being afraid it might being their site down, why don't they just put it on separate servers and limit bandwidth per session. Sure, if everybody is downloading all at once, people will download slow, but at least they can offer it as a download that way. Or, they could share the load with others. Look at the World of Warcraft updates; you dont download them directly from Blizzard servers, you just get a torrent seed from them and download from peers.

Anyway, once I get the update from you, I can share some of the load with you. I have three DS3s I manage at the anaheim convention center, when there arent any data-heavy shows the bandwidth just goes to waste anyway, so I might as well use it for some good

Old 03-10-2008, 01:25 AM
nightshade72

Maybe we can use a large file hosting service to host the ISO files? Or seed them in a torrent? If you were to make ISO files, I imagine that they could be seeded in a torrent pretty easily.

I can't host it though.. I would if I could.. but could setup gigasize.com account for it...

ORIGINAL: futil

Well Chrysler is supposed to be hosting theseupdates but "They are afraid they will not have the bandwidth to meet the demand and are afraid it will bring their site down if they do host it" and Harman Becker seems to have the same issue and refuses to allow the images to be downloaded at their site.

I offered to host the images forHarman Becker and Chryslerand while I am not an official download source I have been given a green light to host them when they are available by Harman Becker Even though they will not allowanyone to downloadthe updatesfromthem so I'm stuck waiting for the CDs.

I don't get how Chrysler can't find the bandwidth to host these images but I can (Even though I'm borrowing a server and a gigabit fiber line from my job for this task) but I work for a small company and Chrysler should have better resources to handle demand.

But Harman Becker said that Iwas allowed tohost them for you guys to download so I will get them up as soon as I get them.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:58 AM
futil
Veteran

There's no problem hosting the files on my end..
I havemultiple load balanceddedicated serversand all the bandwidth I need for hosting them..

I was just stating that I thought that it was inexcusable thatI can host these files but Chrysler can't (Or wont).. Basically even though Klibby, myselfand tons of others can host them it's sad that we even have to and that Chrysler won't put up a proper page dedicated to the download of the files or even provide a decent amount of info about the MyGIG radio leaving us to have to learn about it in forums and figure things out for ourselves.

Like Klibby, I am a Systems Administrator and have access to servers and tons of bandwidth so I'm not worried about my systems going down by hosting the files.

Klibby, If you want I'llset you up with everythingas a mirror and people can choose where they want to download the files from.. Im probably going to create a website for it as well to provideinfo and downloadsin an easy format.. Either way nothing is stopping me from getting the official files released to everyone as soon as they are released. And if Harman Becker does not release the Gracenotes Database and the Nav database on final release then I'll release both of the DVDs that were provided during the beta test as they were not necessarily in beta anyway.

I don't know why but I am obsessed withprovidingthe finished non-betareleased software to everyone that wants it.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:17 AM
Jas_Oz

Hi guys, Im in Australia and have a REW with nav, id love to update the unit when it becomes available. The aussies get the REP (nav) and REZ (no nav) and I have REW (nav)

Is there any way to get aussie maps for the nav units??? the REW I have is euro...I need aussie maps.

Feel freee to email or pm me if you can help.

I appreciate it and nice info in this thread.

Quick Reply: MyGIG Software Update