2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

MyGIG Software Update

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 12:35 PM
needforsleep
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MyGIG Software Update

I forgot to ask, but after the flash update do you loose your personal information that was stored on the drive, like photos, music files, Destination Entries, Bluetooth pairings, etc?

Old 12-30-2007, 02:20 PM
futil
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the Nav freaking out issue, I heard others with that problem saying that all you need to do is drive for a while and it fixes itself butI don't recall anyone saying that they had a message "serious error (1200)" Try driving for a while and see if that helps.. if not try reinstalling the patch..

After the install is complete, and the system restarts.. When you see the message asking you to install the same Version number again select no then remove the CD. It may be possible that you started another install then removed the CD before it was done.. (Just guessing)

All of my files and settings are still there after the patch..

I have been on vacation sincemy install and haven't had the chance to really check out all the features so I may have a freaking out nav too.. Anyone that has problems with this patch, Try not to panic too much as the official patch is coming out soon and you should be able to apply it over this one which should fix any issues you are having and as soon as I get the official patch ill post it for you all..

The install should stop anyone trying to install on a REN plus if people read a little into this post they should see which radio its for.. Worst case scenario would be wasted time.. I was planning on adding the REN install to this post so I just added a note above the download link for now...

Old 12-30-2007, 03:16 PM
jt239

Thank you for the response. I ended up pulling the fuse because the screen stayed on after i removed the key and opened the door. I never waited long enough to see if it would timeout, I guess i could try that. But the screen wont open for me to put the disc back in...its possible I may have made a mistake and hit yes, again, to reinstall after the software installed. No response from any buttons...it just keeps cycling like its trying to install an update but there is no disk in there. i even downloaded to a usb drive and tryed that with no luck...

Old 12-30-2007, 03:28 PM
lwoods01

futil,

I'm new here... thanks for all the info. You've been really helpful.

I downloaded the patch and applied it last night. My former version was 9.041. I followed your directions - knowing that the whirring noise was okay helped too. After about 15 minutes, the system rebooted itself and showed another diagnostic screen (something like "frontal filters updated).

Then something strange thing happened. The CD would not eject. I tried turning the power on and starting the car several times. When I was about to give up in despair, the CD ejected. Everything appears to be working now.

After rereading your instructions, I realized that the motor was not running during the install. I don't know whether that had any impact on the install or not, but it makes me wonder.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:14 AM
futil
Veteran

When the update CD is installing it is extremely important not to interrupt the installation until you see the screen asking you to install the same version again. I think I need to change the install instructions to include that screen so no one else will make that mistake because it is difficult to figure out when to stop the installation.. There is no "Your installation is complete" message it just asks you to upgrade to the same version that has just been installed again.

Lwoods01, The recommendation that you leave the car running in the instructions was added by me and while it isn't a requirement to install the CD correctly it will make you more comfortable while waiting for the CD to install and will make sure that youwont accidentally run the battery down making sure that the radio has enough voltage during the install which is just a precaution. but if you leave the engine off it shouldn't make a difference.I also figured there would be less of a chance that someone would try to start the car halfway through installation after they decided that they were freezing their asses off which would cause the install to fail.

The radio is a lot like a computer where if you are installing an operating system in a computer then you eject the CD before it is complete you end up with an unbootable computer and in this case.. anunbootable radio.
Computers usually allow you to eject the CD and try again however the radio uses the software to instruct the hardware eject the CD and if the software is corrupted then it will not eject since the radio cant get to the point where it can load the code to eject the CD.

JT239, If your radio is totally unresponsive and you can't get the CD door to open then the chances are that the radio does not have enough of the patchinstalled to boot correctly. On almost all CD ROM drives on computers there are emergency eject levers or buttons which are small holes in the CD-ROM that you can use to insert a paperclip to get them to open in the case of a jam (Micro buttons on Macs with thin drives). The MyGIG clearly wasn't designed as a computer but I will look and try to find a way to get it to forcefully eject so that you can get that CD back in which is what needs to be done to get your radio going again.

If you cant reinstall that image the only other option will be having to bring the car back to the dealer which might not be so bad cause you will likely get a new radio but if it does come to that just tell them that the radio suddenly stopped working and you have no clue why. (Anyone that has a problem with that statement being false, get over it cause dealers frequently lie to the customer to make a sale and this is how the customers get even.. its just the greatchain life (or retail sales)

Old 12-31-2007, 02:39 AM
lwoods01

Thanks. That explains what happened. It ejected after I finally clicked the 'No' button.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:10 PM
jt239

So FYI - I took my car to the dealer and they replaced the mygig unit with a new one. And actually I was having problems with it from day 1. The navigation and uconnect were taking as much as 10 minutes to activate...and sometimes they never did. The nav screen would just say "navigation activating.' I was also having problems getting the unit to accept mp3s and pictures. I am pretty good with computers and tech stuffso Iwas pretty confidentit wasn't me. The new unit works like a charm!

After reading the comments from futil, i realized I may have accidentally restarted the software install not realizing it was already done. He is right, there is no screen that says "software update complete" or anything like that.I cant stress the importance of not interupting the update or even restarting it. The buttons on my unit were locked and there seemed to be no way to communicate with the device...even using a usb flash drive.

And another thing, my new unit has this recent version of the software...v9.561. The dealer still told me to check with them in a month or so because there is still a new update coming out.

Thanks!

Old 01-01-2008, 05:13 PM
RobertR

futil this is great information, I stumbled onto this site looking for a solutiuon regarding the MyGig in my 08 Sebring convertible. Joined this site so I could reply.......

2 questions......
[ol][*]Problem with MyGig is it will notplay after the second start up of the day. The unit will shut down and start up, sometimes 5 or 6 times.[*]What device is plugged into the aux. port shown in the pictures?[/ol]
So will this update help my problem?
Thank you in advance for your help.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:20 PM
RobertR

Old 01-01-2008, 10:24 PM
futil
Veteran

JT239, That's awesome.. I was stressing for the past 2 days trying to figure out what I could do for you and there was no external emergency eject so I was going to pull my radio and take it apart to look for one inside the unit. Glad I don't have to go through that again.. I have removed the radio about 27 times so far for various reasons in the past and I'm tired of doing it so i wasn't looking forward to doing it again but it was really bothering me that someone was unable to use their radio because of something that I posted even if it wasn't directly my fault. Im really happy they fixed it for you. That's also pretty cool they have the new patch in so you don't have to update it right away. Thank you for letting me know that the issue is resolved now.

After what happened to you I changed the original post's installation instructions to include warnings in red and elaborated on when the CD should be ejected.I alsoadded an extra image of the final screen when the CD should be removed. Hopefully those added instructions will help because I really don't want anyone else to end up with a non-functional radio... Kind of defeats the purpose of helping people resolve issues with their currentMyGIG version

As for the release versions there will be another version released on the 18th of January as I said in another post but there will also be another release in about 3 months that will fix the LG Voyager and other cell phone issues (Im not sure what other issues will be included in that update yet). I will post them on hereas I receive them and host them on one of my servers so youwon't need to contact Harman Becker. I will also update the links on the first post to reflect the new versions and keep them up to date as new patches are released.

RobertR, I was having the same issue, My radio would shut down or not boot up fully leaving me with a radio that just sat there. The buttons were unresponsive and I had to pull the power plug to reset the radio then wait about 20 min for it to work correctly. This would happen about every 4-7 days. Its a little early to tell since I installed the patch a few days ago and Ihave only used the car once in that time but it has been reliable since the install of the patch and it has not given me any problems yet. My navigation screen is working fine and I didn't have any problems with it (I said in an earlier post that I didn't know ifI would have issues in that area or not). What I have seen so far, this update will probably fix your issues.

Im not sure if its just me not remembering how fast the GPS on the Nav screen updatedbut the Nav screen seems to update at a faster pace now. Screens are definitely more responsive, and i have no regrets about the update.. Everything I have noticed so far has been positive changes in theupdate however a stop button on the radio would have been nice. (Guess I wont push my luck)

The aux reroute I did goes to 4 different places, I used an extension and ran that into the bottom of the front control console then I put in a 4 way splitter. I have a computer hooked up to one,2 different iPod inputs, one that is just an iPod cord/charger so I can hold the iPod in my hand and change music, andthe other one going to a fixed iPod mount (Which I don't use anymore because its annoying to have to take my eyes off the road to use an iPod.. So I have anavailable aux plug on that one now) and the last split goes to a custom ground that I had to ground to the chassis of the car because a power inverter that I have in the car was creating a bad hum and passing it into in the aux wire.Since most hum noisesare usually grounding issues it was aprettyeasy and inexpensive fix (That wouldn't have had to be done if Harman Becker would have correctly grounded the Aux port in the first place)

I have another post on this forum that details how to remove the front console panel with pictures, so if you would like to reroute your aux you can without worrying about breaking a panel if you are not familiar with removing them. I didn't like the aux wire draped across the car so it cleans everything up if you use aux devices frequently. I have the iPod cable coming out of the driver side of the center console (Slipped between the carpet and the console lip) but it wouldn't be hard to run it into the center console which would probably be a neater solution.. Well aside of the fact that there aren't any usable holes in the center console box.. but you could drill a hole and mount a jack in the center console box. I would recommend adding at least 1 split though so that later on you can add more jacks just by popping off2 console plates which takes under 1 minute.. Never know when someone might buy you a new audio enabled toy

Quick Reply: MyGIG Software Update