3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Fog Lights with High Beams DIY

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 01:24 AM
Longlivedakota
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fog Lights with High Beams DIY

Hey everyone!

Does anyone know how to override the automatic fog light shutoff when you turn the Hi-Beams on? I know you can do it by pulling the lever towards half-way and holding it, but driving like that would be a huge pain. I found a couple other threads that talk about it, but none really help out with the 3rd Gen Dak.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...beams-diy.html

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...ms-are-on.html

Old 10-29-2011, 04:50 AM
Backwoods18
Record Breaker

I too would like to know how to do this....

Old 10-29-2011, 06:47 AM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ill ask the guy at the dealer if its controlled by the computer.
Once I eventually get my fogs programmed lol.

If it is, ill see if they can change it so they are on when they are. If they will let them

Old 10-29-2011, 12:23 PM
Longlivedakota
Rookie

Originally Posted by Reject
Ill ask the guy at the dealer if its controlled by the computer.
Once I eventually get my fogs programmed lol.

If it is, ill see if they can change it so they are on when they are. If they will let them
The dealer probably can turn the automatic shut-off, off with their StarScan tool. But because its "illegal" they most likely won't

Old 11-04-2011, 03:28 PM
Reject
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Longlivedakota
The dealer probably can turn the automatic shut-off, off with their StarScan tool. But because its "illegal" they most likely won't

I went to one of the dealers (Dartmouth Dodge) here. Went to there Drive-Thru, Told the "Service Representative" I needed it StarScanned for the Fogs to work. He said my trucks fogs where not ECU controlled because it was a 2005. He thought I was missing a fuse, or relay, or even the old "non-fog" switch at first. I told him I was pretty sure it needed to be StarScanned.
He called the older wiser guy up, Who brought the StarScan tool with him, After he searched around for awhile to find the fog light option, Simple click of "Enable" wait 10 seconds and done, He also cleared all my codes.

Price.....Free haha I was surprised. We talked alittle about his charger and such.

Also there is NO option in the StarScan tool to change fog light function to work with Highs on. Its a very basic tool really. Slow as hell, They nicknamed it "SlowScan" he hates the new system more. You have to send a code that comes with the parts to Chrysler and wait 5-10 for a ok to even change functions.

Last edited by Reject; 11-04-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:44 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Thats good info to know right there. I guess if we want our factory fogs to stay on when we wantn them on we would have to rewire and install a separate switch....

Old 11-04-2011, 04:19 PM
rengnath
Champion

Why not just tap a relay in to the high beam wire going to the bulb, draw current from the battery when the high beams are on and run it to the fogs? Then leave the regular power wire in tact to the fogs, and tap the wire from the relay in to it. The relay will give power to the fogs when its triggered by the high beams, but the fogs wont be able to give power to the high beams when the headlights are on because the relay wont be triggered.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:30 PM
MitsuRaider
All Star

Originally Posted by rengnath
Why not just tap a relay in to the high beam wire going to the bulb, draw current from the battery when the high beams are on and run it to the fogs? Then leave the regular power wire in tact to the fogs, and tap the wire from the relay in to it. The relay will give power to the fogs when its triggered by the high beams, but the fogs wont be able to give power to the high beams when the headlights are on because the relay wont be triggered.
huh??

lol, I'm sure if I read it a few more times....

Old 11-04-2011, 05:42 PM
rengnath
Champion

Now I'm no electrician, but I think this would work. You would be adding everything in blue, and tapping in where the blue circles are. Obviously this is a rough sketch, but it gives the idea. You would leave all of the factory connections. This would allow the fogs to function normally with the low beams, and they would always be on with the highs unless you wanted to add a switch between the relay and the new 12v wire to the fogs.
FOGS1.png

Last edited by rengnath; 11-04-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:07 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

wheres your ground?

Quick Reply: Fog Lights with High Beams DIY