2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

E Fan and other work

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 02:00 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default E Fan and other work

Now that the paint and body work is nearly done, I am preparing to order an electric fan and replace carpet in my Ram.

Anyone know of a lower price option than http://www.tcpperformance.com/2068736.html. Current cost is $585. I found this on hereTheyCallMe Laramie's DIY. I want a quality fan set up, but this price seems a little high.

I found several sources on the carpet and have ordered samples to match color and pile and well as thinckness of backing. I will be installing sound deadening as well.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:01 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

I am awaiting my single 19" Grand Cherokee fan that I am going to mount in the factory shroud... With a wiring kit it cost me about $100 total for 4000+cfm...

Otherwise there is this kit, and you could add a shroud.

http://www.ffdynamics.com/ramB.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-RAM-AD...ht_1776wt_1163

Last edited by Wombat Ranger; 04-24-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:18 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by 2x1972
I am awaiting my single 19" Grand Cherokee fan that I am going to mount in the factory shroud... With a wiring kit it cost me about $100 total for 400+cfm...

Otherwise there is this kit, and you could add a shroud.

http://www.ffdynamics.com/ramB.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-RAM-AD...ht_1776wt_1163

I saw those, but the shroud is the part I cannot find. I know the OEM shroud won't work, but seems to be little in the way of affordable options. I know to have one fabbed here locally would be prohibitive.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:26 PM
drewactual
Champion

man, i've got about $150 in my rig, and it has worked flawlessly...

i retained the factory shroud without any modification whatsoever..

most of the coin was spent on controllers and relays, with good heavy gauge wiring up next, then fuse packs.. I used 10ga from the battery to the controller, and 12ga from the controller to each fan..

for the fans themselves, i bought two 2750cfm eBay fellers.. i look at them almost as a consumable part.. they are 16".. one is pushing while the other pulls.. they overlap slightly over the center of the radiator..

i've never seen the truck break 195* with them on there, and that was in a pretty demanding situation..

edited to add: I could easily have got out of another $50, and had just as effective a system for $100, but I liked the idea of heavier than needed wiring, and pretty little shrouds for all of it..

my rig is a pseudo third gen ('02), but the same concept can work for you easily too..

spend the money in the wiring- and replace the $20 fans as needed.. there is no need to spend wildly on these pre fabbed kits, in my opinion..

Last edited by drewactual; 04-24-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:37 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

Thought about the Grand Cherokee fan?

Jasonw had the FFD kit with the TCP shroud, I don't know if that would be any cheaper...

Old 04-24-2012, 08:40 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

You can get the TCP shroud by itself without their fan kit and it's like $200 IIRC. That allowed me to save quite a bit on my install as compared to their full on kit price. Had I thought of the 19" fan I probably would have done that instead cause I'm a cheapass and even though I really love how the TCP shroud has cleared out my engine bay and looks all trick....Point is: make sure you use a shroud with the conversion otherwise your fans will stay on much longer largely negating the benefits of the efans.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:59 PM
gdstock
Legend

I can't find just the shroud on their website. Guess I will have to call them tomorrow. I may just drop the cash to get the kit.....may be some value in warranty and make installation easier.

I do like the concept of clearing out the engine bay for a less crowded look under the hood and allow more access there.

EDIT: I ordered new AC Condenser and drier. Replaced compressor a while back but have it blanked off and have not used it due to damaged condenser (surprised it doesn't leak), so it is time to get this replaced as well. It was nearly 90 here today, so summer is pretty close!

Name:  Ramcondpass.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  132.5 KB

Last edited by gdstock; 04-24-2012 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Update items
Old 04-24-2012, 10:41 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

Yes, with temperatures climbing, I am getting more and more impatient to get my fan installed... Not so much for A/C though, I'm more of a windows down kind of guy until the temps get stupid hot.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:31 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2x1972
Yes, with temperatures climbing, I am getting more and more impatient to get my fan installed... Not so much for A/C though, I'm more of a windows down kind of guy until the temps get stupid hot.

Dido and my a/c quit working last week.....

Old 04-25-2012, 10:58 PM
gdstock
Legend

Has anyone used the Primus IQ Electric Brake controller? I am looking at installing a controller. I have used Tekonsha in my Yota and several other vehicles over the years, but never a Primus. I do want the proportional rather than timed.

Quick Reply: E Fan and other work