2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Not starting all of the sudden

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 12:22 AM
itsmyfallt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not starting all of the sudden

hey, i am new to these forums, i have tried to look for this problem and havent had any luck, so if this is a re-post im sorry.

i have a '97 dakota with the 3.9 magnum, has worked perfect until this afternoon. I went to start it and it would die immedately, i have to keep givin it some gas or it dies immedately. It does this till its warm then it works perfect. i brought it to a local midas and they waited for the engine to cool then tried said they couldnt get it to repeat the problem,i came back to try and sure enough, started fine, i just got back so i havent been able to see if it is still doing it. i know its probably a sensor thats screwing it up, im just wondering if anyone has had this problem before and what it was.

any help would be awesome.

Old 04-07-2007, 12:50 AM
imnothot02
Record Breaker
Default RE: Not starting all of the sudden

first off start w/ the basics,throwing a cel, full on gas, hows the alt? battery...

Old 04-07-2007, 01:02 AM
itsmyfallt

fuel pump replaced over the summer, fuel injector cleaner used every 2-3 fillups, alternator is good, battery replaced in the fall too. only new thing i could think of was exhaust i had put on about two weeks ago, nobody around me will actually check internals and do a diagnostic, cuz they refuse to believe anything is wrong with it. i havent been able to check anything myself, im at my dorm and have no tools, sad i know.

Old 04-07-2007, 01:40 AM
Rakaric
Record Breaker

I guess you can try disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery for 10 minutes, and that'll reset things. I had a problem before where i would start it up then it would die. Tho that was because I was installing a remote starter and I was messing with the ignition wires. I disconnected/connected the negative and worked alright.

Old 04-07-2007, 02:08 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

try checking the IAC valve, when my truck did that it was a dirty idle air control valve, its located on the back of the throttle body and is held in place w/ 2 torx screws, its the only thing w/ a wire going to it back there

Old 04-07-2007, 05:40 AM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

when is is killing at idle or going down the road?

Old 04-08-2007, 04:22 PM
itsmyfallt

sorry for not responding, was away from a computer for most of the weekend, the prblem was something really dumb. i live in minnesota, and a couple weeks ago it was above 70-75, so i guess some gas stations switched to a summer formula. now its 15-20 degrees. so i filled it up with some new gas and it works perfect again. kind of a strange issue.

Old 04-08-2007, 06:35 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

ah never heard of that however i go to the same place... that carries BP gas, duno if thats good or not tho...

what is summer formula in gas engines...?

Old 04-08-2007, 10:12 PM
01Kadota
Rookie

more groundwater

Old 04-09-2007, 02:40 AM
itsmyfallt

ok. gas formula is not the issue, it again had issues starting this afternoon when i was trying to go to my military friends house who had a 48 he leave for easter. So i got some Iso-heet thinking maybe it was water or something in the gas. but every place i take it to cant replicate the issue, and i don't want to leave a dak with a 3-4k stereo in the thing at some place overnight. and another thing happened only once, the truck wouldnt shift into 4th after the last time if having issues not starting, i have no idea if this could be related or not.

Quick Reply: Not starting all of the sudden