2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

knocking

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 04:17 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default knocking

ok, so ever since I got my truck out, it has a lil knocking in the bottom end at idle, if you rev it up it goes away (or you just cant hear it cause of the exhaust) but it only does it when its warm. when its cold it wont do it at all.

some one told me that it could be the knock sensor doing it. he has a 98 durango 5.9 and he replaced his and the knock went away.

I have 205,000kms on it and this is the first sign of trouble with it. its not anything major, but I dont think its good for it. I changed the oil and put some lucas in it, but that didnt help too much.

if you go under neath the eingine that where you can hear it the most. so its deffinatly a bottom end sound. I just dont wanna through a rod bearing out of it if thats what it is.

Old 04-09-2007, 12:22 AM
DevilDog17
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: knocking

Could be because of low octane gas. Or pre-ignition from carbon buildup in engine. Pre-ignition happens from carbon buildup where the air/fuel mixture combusts before the spark plug makes a spark. check plugs or try higher octane gas or fuel treatment.

Old 04-09-2007, 12:34 AM
JBs DAK
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bearing is going away is my bet. That many miles, (While I know people will jump in & say they're motor has a lot more miles on 'em),.. That's where my money would be.

Old 04-09-2007, 12:52 AM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion

ya, it doesnt really sounds like spark knock to me. I was afraid I would hear a bearing. so that means its time for a rebuild then?

I've unhooked the superchips and it still does it with premium. I've seen motors with a lot more miles on them with no poblems, but not all motors last forever.

is there anyway to tell for sure its a bearing without tearing the whole thing down. but I can feel it when I touch the oil pan. so its deffinatly bottom end noise.

also have any of you heard about a knock sensor causing this?

Old 04-09-2007, 01:00 AM
DevilDog17
Professional

I guess if it is internal than I would say take it to a mechanic you can trust and get a professional opinion, then make your choice from there. Hope you get it fixed, whatever it might be. Suck when things break.

Old 04-09-2007, 01:11 AM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion

ya, tell me about it. last year when I brought it back out I noticed the rearend was shot... 1K later its fixed, now my heater cores gone again, A/C clutch is shot, passenger door lock is stuck. I dunno, I might end up sellin her if it turns out to be too bad. thats why I like older vehicles.. there cheaper to maintain and fix, plus if you wanna go and sell em, you dont lose too much on em. I paid 10k for it 3 years ago and it had 150,000kms on it. I just drive so much to work and back it racks up the kms fast, I only drive it in the summer too.

how long do you think I can drive it like this before it gets too bad?

Old 04-09-2007, 01:18 AM
DevilDog17
Professional

That is the million dollar question. I wouldn't drive that much, but I don't know exactly how it sounds. You might be able get a couple thosand more out of it. But, if you want to get some money out of it then try not to drive it. Get rid of it while you can. Hell, start looking for a newer or a less problem Dakota. It sucks having to get rid of your favorite vehicle, but I did and that's why I have a Dakota now.

Old 04-09-2007, 01:21 AM
JBs DAK
Captain

Odds are it's, - or they, have been getting thin or out of the copper for a while.
But, you can drain the oil and see if you can spot copper-smear while rubbing the
old oil between your fingers. I'll see if I can locate the link to a shop that sell long-blocks
for a darn good price. Probably beat your local shop quote for a rebuild of yours.
I think they offer 5 yr warranty also.

Old 04-09-2007, 01:26 AM
JBs DAK
Captain
Old 04-09-2007, 01:27 AM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion

ya, I'm gonna miss it if I sell it. it was my first newer truck I bought. I think I'm gonna get the 88 back out this week till I decide what I'm gonna do. cause I know if I do end up pulling the motor and spending around 2k on it, then whats gonna go next right.

I am looking for a 91-96 dak at the moment to replace my 88 dak and dump a 318 in it. so maybe I'll be looking for a better condition 91-96 dak for a DD. sucks that both trucks are dieing at the same time[:@]

Quick Reply: knocking