2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Dakota or Tundra?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 04:51 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dakota or Tundra?

Don't get me wrong here, obviously I'm driving a Dakota and not a Tundra. If the Tundra hadn't looked like an extruded turd and if it had more power I might be driving one of those instead. As it was, Tundras couldn't match the looks of the Dakota nor the power of the 5.9. I still wish the Dakota had a solid front axle though.

My point was that it'sa global economy now - yesterday's enemies are today's best allies and money flows all over the place. A lot of the Japanese cars are built here in the USA using more USA sourced components than there are"American" cars. To be against a vehicle with a Japanese name that's made in America is justignorant racism, and claiming that you're supporting US factory workers is really an invalid point - you're supporting US workers morewith the Japanese vehicles. IsToyotanot using Union labor? I thinkpeople might have a problem with them for that, but in my book it's a good thing.

Old 04-10-2007, 04:58 PM
jk240sx
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would take the Tundra over the Dakota depending on the year. My neighbor has a '01 Tundra V8 club cab and he has had no problems. He kicks the **** out of it, takes it swamping almost all weekends and we take his when kayaking. My Dak being babied has had paint issues, engine seal issues, front brake issues and the weather seals We have the same mileage. And his will have better resale than mine.

Also, as stated, this is a used vehicle so all the $ goes into american pockets. So that is a mute point.

Furthermore, what's the difference; a US nameplate made in Mexico or a Foreign nameplate made in the US? I'll tell you. The former lines the pockets of the stockholders, the latter lines the pockets lines the pockets of US workers. It's a shame but true, when foreign corporations are better to American workers than the Big 3. The big 3 deserve the fate they bore, to crash and burn on the world economy, they saw the future and sold out their workforce for the sake of stock returns. Greed is for fools. I would work for Toyota over CMB anyday.

Old 04-10-2007, 06:05 PM
peckens
Professional

I prefer the dakota body style much better, I wouldnt buy a truck that I thought was ugly.

Old 04-10-2007, 06:55 PM
heavyk298
Banned

See, thats were everyone gets it messed up, Toyotas are not built here. I don't see any Honda or Toyota plants around where I live, yet I see, a GM plant, and a Ford plant, and about an hour away in Toledo theres a Chrysler plant.

Thanks for laughing, My uncle died in pearl harbor. I'm glad he died for you to have the right to laugh about him losing his life at Pearl Harbor. He also died to protect our country, the rights and freedoms of everyone to be able to have their own opinion.

My 2002 Dakota was build with pride in Warren, Michigan. My grandmother worked at GM for 30 years, my grandfather worked at Ford for 30 years, so I appreciate everyone who has bought American, to feed our family.

I wouldn't buy a new Dakota anyway, they're ugly as hell. For all you people who would rather own a Jap vehicle, go to their boards, and get the hell off the Dodge forum. I guess I'm old school, and still believe in the American worker. Don't sit there and tell me those pieces of junk last forever, more of them break down. My '88 Dakota still runs like it was brand new. Any vehicle will last if you take care of it.

It don't matter what kind of argument I make,or you make. You're all going to have your own opinions and not change them because someone on the internet told you something different.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:25 PM
horatio102
Champion

Um, slick? The Tundra IS made here in the USA. Sorry your uncle died, but it's a fact of life. You know that wouldn't have happened if Germany hadn't started **** in Europe, right? So you should hate the Germans too. But you're still willing to buy a DAIMLERChrylser, which is a German company.

So if you can't see a Toyota plant and therefore they're not made here in the USA, then by extrapolation you cannot see GOD and therefore (s)he does not exist? I don't really believe in God, but we've got this thing here called the Internet where you can research things like where cars are made and it'll tell you that Tundras are made in America. They're made in San Antonio, Texas, and they've got an older plant in Indiana that makes Tundras, Sequoias, and Siennas. As a matter of fact, Camrys are made in Georgetown, Kentucky. Subaru has a plant in Lafayette, Indiana where it makes Outback, Legacys, and Bajas.

I'm not making an argument here, I'm stating fact. I'm sorry your backwards education and bigoted upbringing has closed your eyes to what's really going on in the world these days. Decisions made by your grandparents and their friends are the reason that American car manufacturers are doing so poorly today. FAR too much of the procedes of each new car made today goes to support pensions and incredible benefits/salaries for theworking people when it should be spent on R&D, improving factory processes, and making better vehicles.

Any vehicle will last if you take care of it - with Japanese branded and built vehicles usually that amount of care is a lot lower. Do I like them? Yeah, but you'll notice that I drive three American cars, all of which were built here in America. I also drive a Miata, made in Japan. My 1990 Miata had the bare minimum done to it to keep it on the road, and with 150k miles it's still running like a champ. My 1991 Mustang required an engine rebuild, and it already had the tranny replaced at least once before I bought it. The top quit working, door locks gave out, etc. etc. etc.

The point isn't if one lasts longer than the other, because that all depends on maintenance. The point here is that your sorry racist *** doesn't want to buy a Truck built in the USA by Americans because the company is based out of Japan, who, by the way, are some of our biggest allies these days. Get the hell OVER WWII. Jesus. You do know that it ended over sixty years ago, right?

Old 04-10-2007, 08:34 PM
gutted
Veteran

ORIGINAL: heavyk298

See, thats were everyone gets it messed up, Toyotas are not built here. I don't see any Honda or Toyota plants around where I live, yet I see, a GM plant, and a Ford plant, and about an hour away in Toledo theres a Chrysler plant.
Are you sure? You do realize there are 49 other states in the country, right?

http://www.businessweek.com/autos/co...209_359467.htm

"Toyota seems to have licked the technical parts of the new Tundra that has held it back in this super-competitive category until now. But it still has credibility issues to attack, acknowledges Farley. It wasn't a coincidence that Toyota chose San Antonio truck country to build the new Tundra. Twelve thousand new jobs in Texas has built up goodwill for Toyota in Ford's biggest truck market. And the Tundra engine is built in West Virginia and Alabama, also strong proving grounds for pickups."

There are many "imports" that are actually built in the US and vice versa.

But anyway, back to the topic on hand. I love my Dak, but I would not buy one with 95k miles on the clock. As far as brand new trucks go, I LOVE the new Tundra. How many miles were on the Tundra you were looking at? If you like the Daks I'd shop around and find one with less miles. I'd also look for a V8 (this coming from a 3.9 guy).

Old 04-10-2007, 09:05 PM
Twiztid
Veteran

Wow....war, racism, death....all from which truck to get...lol. Next people will start arguing about where the metals that make up the car are mined from.

I personelly am a Mopar man, but the last few years of bad instances all dealing with dodge have me looking around. IF I was to trade in on the mopar loyalty, it would be for a Toyota. All my friends are Toyata guys and have minimal problems with alot of abuse. Nothing more excessive then the dodges I have owned, in fact probably over all the Toyota does a little better as far as holding up from what I have seen.

In this case, I would go with the Tundra if it has less miles. BUT I would go for it for 2 reasons, V8 and more aftermarket parts available. There doesn't seem to be alot of choices for Dak's in general. I myslef was looking at Toyota's before buying my current Dak, but wanted the small truck with V8 power.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:41 AM
wink2873
Record Breaker

horatio102... you're a complete idiot. sure toyotas are made in the US, and they claim to be american made. you might wonder how they could be made in america and be so much cheaper. first of all the americans that work in toyota factories dont get paid as much, and 2nd of all toyota doesnt have to pay pension obligations and retirement benefits to anyone. why? because the damn plant hasnt been there long enough for anyone to retire from. The big 3 have billions in benefits they pay their retired workers every year. Just wait 20 or 30 years from now when toyotas are more expensive than dodges, because IT WILL HAPPEN. so you have a choice when you buy a new vehicle, you can pay a little more and support the country, or you can take the deal and give your money to some guy sitting in japan. you can pay a little more now, or you can just settle for the best offer.
horatio102, my dakota is a club cab and it was made in warren michigan, so kiss my a ss.

Old 04-11-2007, 04:26 AM
InDeCLiNe

That guy is an idiot none of the Big 3 make thier parts here all of that **** is made in Mexico or Chevy's transmissons are made in Canada look it up google it for **** sake. All the Big 3 Plants are here for Assembling not making the parts yeah they have plants but the parts aren't made here. I'd go with Dakota over Tundra for the fact that it has more room in the cab I wanna be able to fart in my truck and not be able to smell it for awhile lol anyways but yeah Racism is a ****ing pathetic way to have a point of view.

Old 04-11-2007, 06:28 AM
horatio102
Champion

ORIGINAL: wink2873

horatio102... you're a complete idiot.
You're entitled to your opinion.
sure toyotas are made in the US,
Not all of them.
and they claim to be american made.
Huh? They claim to be? Maybe because they are?
you might wonder how they could be made in america and be so much cheaper.
No, I don't. Ford's profit margins onpickups is about $10k each. SUVs net about $5k, and their cars break even, according to one of the articles I read while doing research for thisthread. Never did I mention that Toyotas are cheaper. A fully optioned Tundracomes toabout $49k. A fully optioned Ram 1500 runs about $48k.

first of all the americans that work in toyota factories dont get paid as much,
Not my problem. And they're getting paid what they're worth, not the maximum amount the unions can extort from the companies before they shut the doors on a factory.
and 2nd of all toyota doesnt have to pay pension obligations and retirement benefits to anyone.
That's not exactly true.
why? because the damn plant hasnt been there long enough for anyone to retire from.
I'll tell you what the difference is - the american union factory worker is stuck in the 19th century mindset of putting in their years and then the company is required to take care of them. The Japanese have a different mindset - it's up to the employee to plan for their future, to save, and their retirement benefits are short term, not terminal. The Japanese mindset also doesn't force the companies to retain employees when they're no longer needed - whereas the UAW pretty much puts the kybosh on eliminating job positions that aren't needed because of updated systems and processes.
The big 3 have billions in benefits they pay their retired workers every year.
Which is criminal. It's criminal to the shareholders and to the company that they're forced to keep paying people LONG after they've quit working. What I don't get is how you can NOT think that union auto factory workers aren't grossly overpaid when you consider the retirement benefits. The company doesn't owe you ANYTHING - you're getting paid WELL to show up to work and do your job. Let's say you work 30 years, 2000 hours a year - that's 60,000 hours. And let's say you live another 30 years after retiring - you're getting paid for 60 years of work, but only working 30 years. It's this horrendous lack of foresight that is the reason the social security system has had the problems it has.
Just wait 20 or 30 years from now when toyotas are more expensive than dodges, because IT WILL HAPPEN.
They already are.
so you have a choice when you buy a new vehicle, you can pay a little more and support the country, or you can take the deal and give your money to some guy sitting in japan.
Let's recap here. Toyota Tundras and many others are built in factories in the USA. They're also approximately the same price, if not more expensive, than their German (read: Dodge) counterparts.

So you can pay a little more and buy a Toyota, and support the country by paying the living wages of a factory worker in Texas (or other States). Are you sure that I'm the idiothere?

you can pay a little more now, or you can just settle for the best offer.
Again, your logic is flawed.
horatio102, my dakota is a club cab and it was made in warren michigan, so kiss my a ss.
Update: Dakotas are all built in the USA. The same cannot be said for Rams though. If you want a Mega Cab, it's built in Mexico. Quad cabs are split between USA and Mexico. I usually have this discussion with Ram people, and I didn't verify my statement. I'madmitting an error in my prior statement.

So, again, wink - let's go over it one more time. Tundra, made in USA by Americans. Dakota, made in USA by Americans. There isn't much of a difference there, now is there. That's a rhetorical question, it needs no answer because it's obvious.

Ok, so if one of you bible thumpers wants to provide some proof that Tundras aren't made in the USA I'd love to see it. Also, please address the fact that Dodge is owned by a German company, and tell me how it's OK to have the profits going to the country responsible for the massive death toll on the beaches on D-Day, but it's totally unacceptible to have the profits going to the country who destroyed the pacific fleet in a surprise attack, which, by the way, could have been prevented had we not been so damned arrogant. FYI, Pearl Harbor resulted in about 2400 deaths, D-Day about 2500 US deaths, Hiroshima and Nagasaki about 375,000 Japanese diedfrom the blasts and radiation. So tell me, what, aside from skin color and facial features, is the difference between the two?

Quick Reply: Dakota or Tundra?