2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Newbie: More Pinging fun!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 01:38 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Newbie: More Pinging fun!

Try this: Pull the PCV and breather off of your valve covers (get a wife/buddy to help) and plug them going into the intake. Now rev the engine up and see if the holes in the valve cover are blowing air out (they should) or sucking it in (bad plenum). At ~40k miles my plenum went bad before I bought the truck, got it fixed by the dealer under warranty right after I bought it, and then again at ~72k miles it went bad again, except it wasn't pooling oil yet in the intake.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:37 AM
RevDeadCorpse
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: horatio102

Try this: Pull the PCV and breather off of your valve covers (get a wife/buddy to help) and plug them going into the intake. Now rev the engine up and see if the holes in the valve cover are blowing air out (they should) or sucking it in (bad plenum). At ~40k miles my plenum went bad before I bought the truck, got it fixed by the dealer under warranty right after I bought it, and then again at ~72k miles it went bad again, except it wasn't pooling oil yet in the intake.

Thanks... I'll give that a try. Gonna have to wait a couple days. I'll post my results back here.

Old 05-08-2007, 02:36 AM
RevDeadCorpse
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tried it. Blowing steady. I amy try and pop the intake on it anyway. I'll be ordering up a Hughes plate once I'm back up in MN in a month or so. May upgrade teh TB while I'm at it.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:58 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Go to the dealer there is a PCM flash up date for pinging and transmission shift problems too. There a TSB for these flashes. It may or may not be cover under you emission warranty. California emission warranty is up 80k. And flashes are covered up to 80k.

Quick Reply: Newbie: More Pinging fun!