2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

A/C On All The Time?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 03:36 PM
DAKNBLK
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C On All The Time?

I went for a drive this morning (always enjoy a drive in the Dak), and as usual when it's cool outside, I turn the climate control output to floor, and crank the windows down for some breeze. Coming home, I waved to a neighbor, and as my hand went up, I noticed that the upper vents were putting out COLD air... air conditioned air. What's up with that? Is the A/C on all the time in these things, as opposed to only when I've set it to A/C?[/align]

Old 07-14-2007, 08:39 PM
V8Boss
Professional
Default RE: A/C On All The Time?

As far as I know, the first three setting and the last two (Max * at head level, * at head level, bi level, defrost windshield and feet, defrost windshield only) are the only ones that use the compressor. If you were using just the floor, the compressor shouldnt have been running. I know that's how it is in my '00. Took me about 2 years to figure that out. Couldnt figure out why my MPG would drop in the winter with the heat cranking. It's because I using one of the above setting that ran the compressor. If you want to test it, slowly go through each setting in par and watch to see which settings bring the RPMs up. Hope that helps you save some gas.

Old 07-15-2007, 12:57 AM
DAKNBLK
Professional

Thanks, V8. I'll check into it at first sun.

Old 07-15-2007, 06:19 PM
V8Boss
Professional

No problem. Post what ya find

Old 07-15-2007, 09:11 PM
DAKNBLK
Professional

LOL, I got busy with the power steering fluid change out, and chores around the house and forgot to check the dang thang!

Old 07-16-2007, 02:18 AM
dodgedakota98luver
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i just got to say it again that is one of the nicest looking dakotas i have ever seen oh and btw the thing about which settings use a/c is correct the only ones that dont use it are the vent one and the floor one anything that has a defrost icon or says a/c uses the compressor

Old 07-17-2007, 12:06 PM
V8Boss
Professional

I really hate how you cant just press a button to turn the compessor on or off like a lot of other cars. I'm sure the designers have a good reason why they cant do that. Whatever I still hate it.[:@]

Old 07-20-2007, 10:59 AM
DAKNBLK
Professional

Finally checked it last night... it seems to be working properly. I'm not sure what was going on the other day, but I'll keep a watch on it

V8Boss, you are right, we need a dedicated switch to turn the compressor on/off. Who wants to dig into the factory switch and weed out the wire we need for this?

Old 07-20-2007, 11:05 AM
V8Boss
Professional

I'd do it but I like my Dak running lol. I'd probably blow something up/fry something/kill myself.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:28 AM
owns
Rookie

It would be REALLY nice to have a compressor on/off switch. I notice all the time when driving around that my car is having power loss due to powering the compressor, even on settings that theoretically shouldn't have AC going on.

The truck was designed when gas was $.99 a gallon though. They probably figured no one would care

Quick Reply: A/C On All The Time?