2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Burning Oil... !!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 11:38 PM
chris0211
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning Oil... !!!

This past 2 weeks or so i have been noticing a lil smoke comming out of my exauhst, it was to little to tell what color it was. Today i was getting off work and remote started it and a **** load of BLUE smoke came out. I dont really know how or what to fix. and also what price im looking at..
also i have been noticing that it has a rough idle sometimes....ANYBODY?

Old 07-15-2007, 03:45 AM
varsis
Record Breaker
Default RE: Burning Oil... !!!

Thats not good. LOL Time for a new engine... or the piston rings are gone. You can do this repair yourself but it's a pain. And while you have the engine out you might has well do upgrades. I would check your oil, and make sure there is enough before you do much for driving. You could cause more problems than you have. It could also be too much oil. If this just happened a head gasket could have also gone causing some coolant to leak into the case, and cause the oil to sit high but of course you probably would have shot a bearing. But check it before you drive. The color especiallly and with that you could save yourself some money.

Old 07-15-2007, 12:42 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

do you have a compresion guage? sounds like rings to me, does this go away somewhatas it gets warm, if so its ur rings..how many miles

Old 07-15-2007, 02:31 PM
chris0211

ORIGINAL: imnothot02

do you have a compresion guage? sounds like rings to me, does this go away somewhatas it gets warm, if so its ur rings..how many miles
No i dont have a compresion guage but i can get one. YES it goes away when the truck gets warm, its a puff of smoke when you first start it. after that a lil smoke comes out for a min then none at all.. My truck only has 14,900 mi (new Engine) 54,900 on body. the dam thing is new! and im already having problems.

Old 07-15-2007, 02:44 PM
RP Racing940
Record Breaker

Well if its just at startup, its the valve seals. My last truck went 150K miles with worn seals. Just check oil like you are supposed to and keep the level up. All it is is when you shut off the truck and it sits for a while (overnight), some of the oil in the valve train seeps past the seals into the combustion chamber and burns off there on startup.

Reason my old truck did that was right after I tried using synthetic (Castrol GTX) at 30,000 miles. After that, I have never used synthetic in anything but the bikes (which have used it since they rolled off th eline)

Old 07-16-2007, 02:22 AM
dodgedakota98luver
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

pour a bottle of no smoke in it if you dont want to rebuild and you get tired of looking at smoke other than that just keep your oil full and dont worry about it

Old 07-16-2007, 10:34 AM
rtkota5point9
All Star

WHOOOAAA. Hold up guys, before we go ripping apart the block to replace rings, lets consider some other possibilities.

Is it the factory Intake manifold on the truck? Meaning you havn't replaced it with an M1 or the like yet right? If so it could very well be your Plenum gasket. Very VERY common on our trucks, and it's a reletively easy and cheap fix, especially if you do it yourself. The gasket itself is only like $30, but make sure you get the other 2 gaskets as well, the intake manifold gaskets, because you need to reove it to get at the plenum. When this gasket goes bad, it sucks oil from the belly pan, right into the intake manifold and then down into the cylinders and burns it.

An easy way to tell if this is your problem is to take off the intake hat, open your throttle blades and witha flashlight, peek down into the intake manifold. If there is a film of oil, chances are this is the problem. My other Dakhad the same exact symptoms and burned nearly 4 quarts a month!

Another, even simpler problem could be a bad PCV valve. Chances are it's fine, but it's a $5 part, replace it anyways. Don't replace it with a FRAM though, go get one from the dealer.

Check these first before you go spending gobs of money on new rings. ~14k miles, no boost, no nitrous... I doubt the rings are bad to that extent already.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:45 AM
rtkota5point9
All Star

If it IS the plenum gasket, and you've got some extra cash, get a Mopar M1 manifold. There is no plenum gasket on these manifolds, so it eliminates that problem all together, plus you get the benefits of the manifold itself.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:58 PM
chris0211

ORIGINAL: rtkota5point9

An easy way to tell if this is your problem is to take off the intake hat, open your throttle blades and witha flashlight, peek down into the intake manifold. If there is a film of oil, chances are this is the problem.
Yup! a buddy noticed that about a week ago. If you look down there its wet. smells like gas a little.

I hope this is what you are talking about....

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...0/PICT0020.jpg
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...0/PICT0021.jpg
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...0/PICT0022.jpg

Old 07-16-2007, 02:47 PM
rtkota5point9
All Star

Hard to tell from the pics. Actually looks pretty clean to me to be honest. Can you swab some of it out with a Q-Tip on a stick or something? The first pic looks dirty, but the other 2 looks like the pan is pretty clean. Could be the pics though.

BTW, that's a nice looking TB, what brand is it?

Quick Reply: Burning Oil... !!!