2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Holy wow replacing the plenum gasket is a B$%^#!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 11:34 PM
owns
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holy wow replacing the plenum gasket is a B$%^#!

Well I just finished today what proved to be a ridiculously long task, but quite nescessary.

I was noticing a severe decrease in milage on my truck recently, so I looked down the throttle body for ****s and giggles, earlier this week. It was pretty disgusting down there, so I decided I might as well clean the whole beast out. I setup a day with five or so hours to work on the beast, and got to it.

This was surely not a five hour job. It was a huge pain in the ***, and took a lot of time! It wound up taking six hours, and even more counting a damaged sensor that came up in it all. I must say after working on this motor as well, that it's a freaking pain in the butt compared to my old toyota 22r! Some one posted a link to directions on how to change the plenum gasket, and while it had some useful information, it was definitely missing a lot. If you own a vehicle with airconditioning, the plenum gasket change becomes quite the chore. I can imagine without the air conditioning system in the way though it would go WAY faster, but the pully assembly still requires removal.

Anyways, I took the intake manifold out, replaced the gaskets, and wound up putting 3 cans of carb/choke/throttle body cleaner through the beast just to get the buildup off of it! There was black muddy runoff coming off of it for practically the entire time! I'm positive this should make a difference. I also replaced the thermostat with a stant super stat 180 degree thermostat, put on a new distributor cap and rotor, and replaced the water pump to manifold coolant hose, since that hose would be a HUGE pain in the *** to get to with the airconditioner and pully assembly mounted ontop of it.

Another headache with the plenum gasket change was that the coolant temperature sensor some how broke, and I didn't know until I had the entire motor re-assembled and the check engine light was on. Once again I wished I was working on a 22r, since the alternator and evrything had to come off just to access this tiny little $11 sensor.

So yeah, just a quick post about that. It was quite the fiasco, but my truck is the better for it, and now I don't have to worry about any of that for a long while... PHEW!

Old 08-04-2007, 12:15 AM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Holy wow replacing the plenum gasket is a B$%^#!

well.... atleast you have the satisfaction that you did it your self nothing ever goes as planned.

Old 08-04-2007, 12:18 AM
4x4kota
Veteran

3.9L?

Old 08-04-2007, 01:09 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: jonnymagnum
nothing ever goes as planned.
TRUE ****ING THAT!!!!

Old 08-04-2007, 01:19 AM
owns
Rookie

Yeah, 3.9L

I'm a bit tripped out by the repair. I had to reset the truck's ECU to clear the engine codes after the repairs. It's "relearning" everything per say, so it's not driving at all like before the modificaiton. Therefore, I can't tell the difference really. That's what i get for going with an automatic though Once again, not my ideal choice but for the price I couldn't bitch.

I'm debating now the wisdom of doing the 180 degree thermostat swap as well, since my vehicle is an automatic, the vehicles computer may handle shifting differently when the vehicle isn't "Up to temp" in it's mind.

We'll just have to see what happens. Anyone got any words of wisdom on the topic, or thoughts?

Old 08-04-2007, 01:23 AM
dapirate559
Professional

could be but what was the stock? 190?

Old 08-04-2007, 01:51 AM
owns
Rookie

Old 08-04-2007, 07:47 AM
dapirate559
Professional

might make a little difference but your truck will run better. thats the most important thing. who cares about a little light

Old 08-04-2007, 10:08 AM
rtkota5point9
All Star

Why was the A/C a pain? 4 bolts and then the small one that holds the lines then just move it out of the way over by the passenger fender.

The job itselfisn't really "difficult", but it IS time consuming. if you had to do it again i bet it wouldn't take nearly as long though right?

Old 08-04-2007, 11:29 AM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

180 stat wont affect shifting. it lets your engine run cooler and is better for it.

Quick Reply: Holy wow replacing the plenum gasket is a B$%^#!