2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

forced induction.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 05:25 PM
threesixoh
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default forced induction.

just did a quick google search on 'turbocharged dakota' and nothing came up.

why is it so rare to see a turbocharged 2nd gen, is it just not feasible? If it is, anyone got any links or recomendations as to how to scratch build a kit? Stuff like turbocharger sizing, boost levels, whether or not I'd want to intercool it, or use 2 turbos(might be easier to plumb the exhuast that way, since there isnt a lot of room under the hood for a ton of plumbing).
[align=left] [/align]

Old 08-12-2007, 06:00 PM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker
Old 08-12-2007, 07:17 PM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: forced induction.

Twin Turbo on stock 360, running low 12s in the 1/4. Was called the R/T2 made by a shop called SpeedTweaks. Was built so you could change the sparkplugs without taking anything apart.

This is the setup ill be doing with mine, once i win the lotto!

But ya the guy that built this setup lives about 40 min from me, very smart guy.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:05 AM
threesixoh
Rookie

While I will agree with you about the easier part, it may not be cheaper to s/c my dak, if I'm buying remanufactured parts. Besides, the whole idea of building a turbo setup, is because practically no one has one! Although, I've never driven a turbocharged gasonline v8, so I dont know how a turbo setup would behave. I used to have a turbo 87 acura integra, 300ish rwhp was fun in a 2400 pound car, even if it was fwd. It was quite the sleeper, with a very tame exhuast(no fart can, or open wastegate. The blow off valve was even plumbed back into the intake to reduce noise), factory rims and paint. No aesthetic mods whatsoever. To tell you the truth, my dak is the first V8 I've owned, much less the first domestic. I love it.

But the more that I think about it, a supercharger may be the way to go. My nex question, then, would be, does Kenne Bell make a kit for the 5.9 R/T? I havent been able to find one, and I know someone on this forum has one. care to share some info? :P

BTW, nice twin turbo setup.
[align=left] [/align]
[align=left] [/align]

Old 08-13-2007, 11:59 AM
owns
Rookie

I looked into a super charger as well, since it seemed like the only really sensible and effective modification out there for the 3.9l motor. It wouldn't kill torque, it would definitely deliver results, and boost fuel effeciency.

Unfortunately... at around $4500 for the kit, it rivals the cost of my entire truck. Therefore, it's just not worth it.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:29 PM
rtkota5point9
All Star

KenneBell no longer makes the kit for the 5.9. But you can still find them used every once in a while on forums and on Ebay even. I got mine off another forum.. so they are out there. The KenneBell has an awesome headunit. The Twin-Screw design is amazingg, especially for a sleeper because you can't hear it at all until you get into the gas quite a bit. It's great. The Optimizer is the biggest downfall for the KB, but it can easily be ditched in place of a seperate fuel/timing calibrator like I did. You get a LOT more out of the same amount of boost than you would with the optimizer. And driveability is better as well. Once you get it dialed in.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:57 PM
threesixoh
Rookie

thanks kota, I knew there was a kit out there. Any reason why Kenne Bell quit making the dak kit?

and guys, help me keep an eye out, k?
[align=left] [/align]

Old 08-13-2007, 10:05 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

go to www.holleycdj.com and look at the mts dakota that they build. you can get there parts list from them and build your own dak.these trucks come with a 3yr 36000 warrenty.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:16 AM
jk240sx
Professional

I am a long time turbo guy from mostly nissans and now since i am in utah Subarus. The main problem with turbos, although they use exhaust gas to boost, which is basically free, they fatigue all associated parts with heat cycles and if you are not into alot of maintain, then turbos are not for you. also, most, and i stress most, turbo applications that work are for four-banger applications, ie, small CC, or displacement motors that were designed with a turbo. It would simply not make sense to turbo a big displacement 6 or 8 when SC is available. futhermore it would not make sense to do either when hi flow NA engines are available. also turbos work best when the engine is square, ie, stroke and bore are relatively the same. most domestics have a long stoke when compared to bore so they don't wind up the spool quick enough to make turbo a viable option. nothing as bad as turbo lag. punch it then wait for power then BANG!, sucks. power should be linear. FWIW, i belong to a core of turbo 4's in Florida and we are simply transplanting LS1 and LS2 motors NA. no turbos, no SC, just wide NA powerbands. yeah it may cost more in the upfront, but we are seeing longevity and reliability as a factor and it outways turbo or SC hands down. There is simply is no replacement for displacement. LS2 is the motor. I hate working on turbo applications after driving my buddy's LS2 powered 260sx.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:25 PM
rtkota5point9
All Star

ORIGINAL: threesixoh

thanks kota, I knew there was a kit out there. Any reason why Kenne Bell quit making the dak kit?

and guys, help me keep an eye out, k?
[align=left][/align]
Because these trucks are getting "old". To keep up with newer vehicles, you gotta eventually drop some older ones. Can't make stuff for older vehicles forever.

Quick Reply: forced induction.