2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

99 Dakota w/ salvage title (has been fixed) worth $3K?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 09:23 PM
OlsenG_360
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Dakota w/ salvage title (has been fixed) worth $3K?

So a guy I know has a 99 Dakota for sale. It's 2wd, 5.2L, reg cab, short box, a couple mods (slightly lowered, intake, exhaust)and 160,000 miles. Exterior is absolutely perfect, interior's acceptable. It has a salvage rebuilt title, was hit on the driver side a couple years ago. The guy who owns it works in a frame/autobody shop & fixed the damage.

KBB doesn't give a value on anything with a salvage title, so that's not much help. Is it worth the $3,000 he's asking? this will likely be a show/track only vehicle if I buy it, not something I'm going to try to resell anytime soon.

In my eyes, seems reasonable...but I've never bought a salvage vehicle before. I assume if I ever try to resell it, I'm not going to get nearly what a clean titled vehicle would be worth.[/align]

Old 10-25-2007, 09:41 PM
RoaminGnome
All Star
Default RE: 99 Dakota w/ salvage title (has been fixed) worth $3K?

I have always been told not to buy a salvage car. But it is for show and your not gonna sell it i spose it dosent matter much. If it is in as good of shape that you say id say its worth it. Id also check the valuse like its not a salvage just to gauge it further. Just my 2cents.

Oh and if you are gonna drive it around town you might wanna check your local laws for things like inspections and restrictions for it due to the salvage title.In NH you have to get an **** inspection (they fail for the littlest things) then its just worth a ton less. Not sure if its the same from state to state.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:53 PM
OlsenG_360
Professional

i think just to get the word "rebuilt" on the title it's already had topass inspection in it's state.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:03 PM
RoaminGnome
All Star

fair enough. Id still check out the price before the rebuilt/salvage title and go from there. Post pics if you do buy it tho

Old 10-25-2007, 11:56 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that sounds like a goos deal, I would buy it up. salvage title or not, its probly in better shape then half the cars out there still on the road.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:20 AM
OlsenG_360
Professional

someone else told me to offer $2000 cash for it, if i can get it $2,500 or less, I could make at least my money back by parting it out if it turned out to have too many problems.

i'm gonna call my insurance company tomorrow & see if they'll even insure a salvage/rebuilt titled vehicle from another state & get their advice in general.

Old 10-26-2007, 07:54 AM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

salvage title anymore doesnt mean much, insurance seems to total out vehicles alot..

Old 10-26-2007, 10:15 AM
yellowjacket99
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a quick kbb private party value using the info you gave, guessing an automatic, just used standard options, good condition. That only puts it at about $3,400, and that would be with a clean title. I know he has a few mods, but you never get out what you paid for them. Personally, I wouldn't go above $2,500. I think that someone else has the right idea with offering $2,000, then go from there.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:13 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

I deal with salvage title questions fairly often, being a moderator on other boards as well. I usually only deal with salvage titles on motorcycles though. If you plan on keeping it for track/show, then I would go for it...but not for $3000. There is a reason that no one has purchased it yet...because it simply isn't worth $3k with a salvage title. I would start negotiations at $2k and see where it goes. If he doesn't want to budge, let it go. He will call you later on down the road hoping you are still interested.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:48 PM
5 speed
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: virused

I deal with salvage title questions fairly often, being a moderator on other boards as well. I usually only deal with salvage titles on motorcycles though. If you plan on keeping it for track/show, then I would go for it...but not for $3000. There is a reason that no one has purchased it yet...because it simply isn't worth $3k with a salvage title. I would start negotiations at $2k and see where it goes. If he doesn't want to budge, let it go. He will call you later on down the road hoping you are still interested.
i agree

Quick Reply: 99 Dakota w/ salvage title (has been fixed) worth $3K?