2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

well im a dumbass

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 08:09 PM
f0x672
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default well im a dumbass

changing the oil in my driveway, worked out the drain plug cause over the years, when my father owned the truck, he brought it to quick lube places to do the work, that damn plug went into the hole 3 different ways, well, tightening down the bolt after i drained the oil, got it right to where it is about to seat against the pan, strips right out, cant remove the plug by back it off, just spins in place, tried a pry bar while spinning it with a ratchet, wont work, plus its 4wd so i would have to drop the axle to remove the oil pan to remove the plug, o well. im sending it to the local shop around the corner from my house, the guy is cool and has been there for almost 30 years, so he must be doing something right... plus i dont have the time to do the work myself, between school, and finals and work * which i had to take off for the next few days just incase this thing takes how long to get repaired... yea they're pissed*... figured you guys would understand my aggrivation better then my other "acquiantences", haha [:@]

Old 12-12-2007, 08:23 PM
englitrob
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: well im a dumbass

I know exactly how you feel. That moment when you think you get get it a little bit tighter, and you strip out the threads, or that moment when you finaly get that hard to reach bolt out and you drop it into some crevice in your engine bay never to be found again, or my personal favorite, when you leave your favorite wrench in the engine bay while you take your handywork for a test drive, then have to circle the block half a dozen times looking for your favorite wrench, are the times when I wonder why I ever work on my car myself. Then I look at a mechanics bill, and its off to the garage again to spit and curse. The agony and the ecstacy!

Old 12-13-2007, 11:14 AM
klings designs
Captain

When I was rebuilding my vw street bug, I dropped a bolt into the block, Talk about fantastic!!!!!!

Old 12-13-2007, 11:31 AM
Catholic Damage
Professional

ever tear apart a motor, put it back together, and have leftover nuts, bolts, and parts??

Old 12-13-2007, 12:11 PM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Catholic Damage

ever tear apart a motor, put it back together, and have leftover nuts, bolts, and parts??
ya... i just tell myself they put extra peices in there for me so just incase i loose one ill have an extra, and in my mind it works out fine.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:27 PM
Catholic Damage
Professional

ORIGINAL: User2006

ORIGINAL: Catholic Damage

ya... i just tell myself they put extra peices in there for me so just incase i loose one ill have an extra, and in my mind it works out fine.
:gets in truck and turns key:
vreoom vroom
BAM!!!

Old 12-13-2007, 12:28 PM
dapirate559
Professional

ya i lost my favorite 1/4 inch ratchet after i put on my low temp thermostat

Old 12-13-2007, 01:37 PM
f0x672
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea, ive left tools in our customer's trucks before, its horrible, luckily i always got my tools back cause they stayed in the same place... well good news is, truck is getting towed to the transmission shop tomorrow that rebuilt my 42re, i talked to the guy i said if he can rebuild a transmission, he can pull an oil pan and remove an oil plug, its always my luck i get the really screwed up problems.. my friends " hey wheres your truck".. me " well i stripped out the drain plug and its stuck in the oil pan, just my luck right?"... "dude, stay away from my truck"... nice friends right? haha [&:]

Old 12-13-2007, 07:21 PM
Nicegy525
Veteran

hmm, Ive found some pretty nice tools left under hoods before! actually I left a nice oil filter wrench under the hood once, only to have the car come back a few months later for another oil change, and it was still there!

Old 12-13-2007, 08:40 PM
spencea15
Record Breaker

My Dads 2002 ram went to get the oil changed at the dodge dealer, my dad pops the hood to check the oil and there is no oil cap on the engine so the dealer has to replace it. About 6 months later we are changing the oil and i see the oil cap in the engine bay well we could not believe we found it.
So later that day we are changing the oil in the dakota and we can not find the oil cap any where so we use the one we found in the ram. I back up the truck and hear something crunch. Somehow the oil cap got under the tire and that was it.

Quick Reply: well im a dumbass