2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Transmission problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 07:00 PM
pumpkinheaver
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission problem?

I have a 2001SLT club cab with the 3.9 engine. The last few days the transmission has been acting up. When accelerating from a stop it seems to slip a little on the first shift, after that it is fine for all subsequent shifts. Also when put in reverse or drive I noticed the tac drops sharply, it even stalled out on me once today when I attempted to back up. Yesterday it stalled out on me making a hard right turnwhen accelerating. Anybody have a clue whats going on?

Old 02-18-2008, 09:27 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker
Default RE: Transmission problem?

moe in wichita ks
direct your trans questions to
email orders: parts@areds.com
they will know the answer to ANY question you have, and the best parts. 90% of ALL trans shops get there parts from a & reds. i have known these people from the late 60s, they are honest.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:46 PM
pumpkinheaver
Rookie

This thing is driving me nuts. Hasn't had any problems for a day or two. Today I when stopping at a light or stop sign I could feel the tranny "catch" when slowing down, then all the sudden today at a stop light it stalled out on me again. Ran fine after I started it back up and shifted fine. What the heck.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:44 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

moe in wichita ks
i dont know these new transmisions very well, but i will ask a couple of questons. can the lock up convertor come on if it doesnt have enough oil pressure? has the trans been worked on lately? is the oil filter colged? check the check valve , cool/lube line, at the rad. i have heard that when a trans blows up it puts trash in the lube line and then clogs the check valve. the older mopar trans in the cold it would not go into rev if the filter was cloged. but it would go into a forward gear. why? cause rev takes 300 psi and foward gears take 150 psi. the cloged filter would not pass enough fluid for 300 psi.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:13 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What does the fluid level look like? I did service on my friends dad's GMC, and incidently under-filled the transmission, and it experianced the same symptoms.
Remember: the proper way to check the fluid is:
Engine running, transmission fluid warm (as in, drive the truck for a few minutes), truck parked on alevel surface, transmission in NEUTRAL (and only neutral, not park). Than its safe to check it.

Another thing: has this transmission recently been serviced? If the fluid is at the proper level (or, if, after adjusting to the proper level, it doesn't work), drop the transmission pan and inspect (actually, replace) the filter and look at everything and make sure nothing seems out of place. Just the other day, someone was having problems, come to find out something wasn't installed properly, and it was taking in air, not transmission fluid.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:43 PM
pumpkinheaver
Rookie

I think I'm gonna flush the system and change the filters and what happens. It doesn't do it all the time that's what is messing with my head.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:19 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

Could be the pressure boost plate on the valve body, causing the torque converter to staylock-up and not bleeding off. You could also have a kick down out of adjustment. Is the ck engine lite on ?

Old 02-19-2008, 11:35 PM
pumpkinheaver
Rookie

I had a light last week but is was an evap leak. Replaced a dry rotted hose(biggest on top)to the box under the bed. No light currently.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:38 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

Then I would replace the filter and ck the band adjustment too.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:34 AM
varsis
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tranny doesn't always give a engine light, but it could be a number of things.

Quick Reply: Transmission problem?