2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

intake question

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 03:49 PM
PeterLucas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intake question

i have an 01 4.7 and i was wondering what you guys thought was the best intake for my year and engine. I want to get the biggest hp gain as possible?
what are your thoughts?

thanks

Old 03-10-2008, 04:07 PM
Red4.7
Default RE: intake question

Whats up dude i have the same stup you do. I got a cheap intake off ebay and put a KnN cone on it and it made a hell of a difference. It sounds great alot more power and better mileage.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:13 PM
PeterLucas

nice, I am thinking about getting the fipk cold-air intake from k&n but would anyone take the 77-series over that?
whats the difference between the 2?

Old 03-10-2008, 05:39 PM
murdoc chongo
Professional

I don't think there's much of a difference. Unless you like the chrome look when you pop the hood to show off the small block . But seriously i believe the 77 series is geared more towards truck/SUV.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:29 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dont waste your money on a expensive intake heres a link to a cheap alternative and you could even make it so that the filter is outside of the engine compartment so its a true cold air intake. http://www.turbomopar.com/craig/dako...dakintake.html unless you want the brand name i would suggest either saving your money and doing that or just buying a drop in filter there isn't a big advantage to a intake and definitaly not at the price of k&n's and other brands. just my .02 im sure others would agree with me.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:20 PM
PeterLucas

thanks for the replies, and that link was very helpful. I might just do that considering the price.. Yet i do want a shiny name brand intake under my the hood just because..

im still deciding, if anyone has anymore to say about this, please let me know, i am trying to get as many opinions on it as possible before i make mine.

thanks a bunch!

-Peter

Old 03-10-2008, 08:29 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

another option would be do get your measure ments then get a shop to mandrel mend you a pipe that you could get coated or painted. then get a k&n filter for it. just tryin to save you money because unless you get a deal the intake kits at least to most aren't worth it for what they do.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:48 AM
trjnrstlr07
Rookie

quick ? does the type of air filter make a big differ... I mean I have a cone but its not K&N its some nock off but its piped in the same direction as your link and by the way mine crome but I have a reason to pop my hood not braggin cause mines stock I just like the shiny look

Old 03-11-2008, 04:10 AM
scandal669
Veteran

i have heard different opinions from people. some say you get a good gain and some say they didnt feel a thing. if i were you, id probably try that home made type thing and see how it works before i went and spent all that money and find out it didnt do anything...autozone has universal chrome tubes for like 30 bucks and they come with all the clamps and adapters too, then you can get a K&N knockoff that i think is just as good for the money you save...you will have 50-60 bucks invested versus 200+. K&N claims you can get up to 10 HP, but i dont believe that. maybe 5 and that is not worth 200 plus bucks to me. you can do other things with that amount of money to get bigger gains. some guys put in a drop in K&N filter and run a flex hose out the front and have gotten gains that way and spent way less.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:54 AM
ricbrk
Professional

I just put a K&N drop in air cleaner in mine. Does it really make that much more of a difference if you eliminate the air box? I am really curious. I checked out the one that pitkanen shows, and it would be simple to make, but does it really make a difference. Also, I get a lot of dirt under the hood, does an open filter like that require more frequent cleaning ?

Quick Reply: intake question