2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Cold air intake and exhaust upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 05:20 PM
DakotaNL
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold air intake and exhaust upgrades

ok, silly question perhaps..i assume its best to get both..I was wondering if one should go with the other. Basically...if you get an Intake upgrade, how important would the exhaust upgrade be? *and vice versa* And does this affect gas mileage drastically? I know everybody is sufferingat the pumps....and though this might not be a good decision for gas savings, i just wondered on the above questions. Also the benefitsof the 40Series or 50Series muffler....seems everyone on the forums have one or the other.

yeah, i drive a 2002 Dakota SLT 4.7L 4x4
thanks guys

Old 05-14-2008, 02:01 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Cold air intake and exhaust upgrades

Welcome to the Forums, looks like you did a search on mufflers, why not on CAI and Exhaust, that is the #1 Question we get here..

CAI - Arguable... doesnt really work, unless outside of engine bay otherwise sucking in hot air, only good thing about it it lets the air move more freely with less restrictions, so you can get more are in, but not colder, unless you build a nice custom one.. with heat resistant wrap around the pipe going into the intake.. user prefrence.. no it doesnt add alot more to MPG.. maybe .2 is lucky..

Exhaust - Unless your talking Headers back, (although the 4.7 exhuast manifolds are fine) your not gaining much in MPG... just more noise. Yes Bigger pipes will let the motor breath better, but unless your running SC or Turbos you dont need to go bigger, stock - 2.5 single would be fine for stock engine.. mild modded 3in exhaust, Turbo True Duel 2.5s,

Them working together yes, all mods work together, the idea of an engine is a big vaccum, the more AIR (colder the better) you get into the engine the better, and the faster you can get it out the better.. as for gas milage.. its a truck suck it up. i get 13mpg on a good day, im on it 24/7 avg about 10-11 mpg 22 gallon tank have to fill up every week.. its fun cuz it uses 93 octane also..

If you want better gasmilage you shouldn't have bought a dodge.. lol.

as for the mufflers 40s and 50s.. i think the louder one is 50s.. and 40s is a bit quiter.. not sure on that.. i dont like Flow master..

Old 05-14-2008, 04:43 PM
scandal669
Veteran

i agree with user2006----CAI's dont do alot unless it is combined with a few other things, or so i have read. as far as exhaust goes, its mostly about sound...

i assume that if a person put a few things together you would get some improvments, i mean it cant hurt. the real question is: is the money really worth the gains? some say yes and some say no...i guess it is personal preference and what works for a certain truck.

i personally just put a flex tube out the front from the airbox and plan on getting a single in/duel out exhaust and calling it good

Old 05-15-2008, 10:34 AM
chris1974
Veteran

DakotaNL- Yes, trucks are bad on gas...however there are things that you can do to improve your gas milage. There are some really good tips and write-ups on gas saving tips here on the forum. Just do a search. If you can't find anything, let me know and I will help you out. Personally- I'm researching hydrogen for my truck. I honestly belive that is where gasoline engines are headed in the near future. Hope this helps.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:24 AM
geoffb123
Veteran

I do belive that Super 44 series from flowmaster is the loudest. I have a 50 in mine and its pretty loud. But I want to switch it out for a 44.

Old 05-16-2008, 03:25 AM
varsis
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: geoffb123

I do belive that Super 44 series from flowmaster is the loudest. I have a 50 in mine and its pretty loud. But I want to switch it out for a 44.
To be honest, flowmaster is not a flow exhaust it's more of a sound exhaust, it isn't there to give you flow, it's just there for sound. If you were to put a magnaflow or borla thats another story...

But whatever you want for sound. Nice truck BTW. I like black. From people I have talked to a K&N drop in is more effective than a cone filter...

Old 05-16-2008, 09:47 AM
JasonA
Veteran

In general, the lower the Flowmaster muffler series number, the louder the exhaust is. I think their 40 series is supposed to offer the least amount of sound reduction. I have a 40 series on my truck, and it sounds pretty good. The vid has been posted on this site before. Their new 44 series does look like it's supposed to be at least as loud as the 40 series. Honestly, I don't think the 40 series muffler is very loud at all on my truck.

I wouldn't chose a muffler necessarily based on performance. Of course they all say they out-flow each other. Just like every Mustang out there is the "fastest one around". Unless you can find dyno charts comparing the specific muffler part numbers that you're considering, it's all bench racing anyway. Just buy the muffler that you think will sound the best on your truck and enjoy it. You're not going to notice 1 or 2 horsepower anyway.

Old 05-17-2008, 12:45 AM
geoffb123
Veteran

My brother has borla on his truck. It sounds amazing. It purrs at first then roars. Like an orgasm to the ears

Old 05-17-2008, 07:09 AM
JasonA
Veteran

We had a Borla cat-back on our '96 ZJ with the 5.2L engine. It sounded VERY smooth. That exhaust also took a pretty good beating rock crawling. It's expensive, but I do think Borla makes the best stuff out there.

Old 05-17-2008, 05:29 PM
Loud Pedal
The Total Package

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMcv24hM0cU

this is my vid i got an autozone CAI this i had to make from parts in the store

Quick Reply: Cold air intake and exhaust upgrades