2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

DIY HHOGENERATOR

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 08:46 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
Default DIY HHOGENERATOR

ok guys as promised, i have finished my HHO geneterator and im posting up a tutorial on it i tried to follow myself w/ a camera as best as i could but it got kind of difficult at times when stuff wasnt going correctly so here goes nothing

ok so i started out with a half gallon plastic container which at one point held cranberry juice, (yes i know, but its the biggest thing i could fit in my engine bay) (well at first it was a 1 gallon arizona iced tea jug but that didnt fit under my hood)

i started by cutting the bottom out of the iced tea jug(i dont recomend that, when i switched to the cranberry juice container i just cut the top open to get the element inside, this method is preferable)

Then i took and i made a 4 plate electroysis cell, two + and two - plates and mounted them together in such a way that they were arrranged in +-+- pattern inside the cell

again when i switched to the cranberry juice container it all fit in alot tighter with a lot less room for anything to move around

so now at this point i needed to connect a hose to the cell, i decided to do this through the cap by cutting a hole in the cap and then sealing the hose around the hole(the hose was $2.88 with tax at home depot for 10ft of 1/4" Inside diameter(ID) clear hose)

so in order to seal up any openings, i used two part epoxy rated for 1500lbs per square inch, waterproof and 200*F (i purchased this at my local True Value hardware store for $3.75US)and put it around the hose and the the cut i made in the top of the bottle.

now its time to wire the system into the truck, i suggest finding in unsed fuse socket in the truck(fuse box is inside the drivers door jam) this socket should be switched so that the it only gets power when the ignition is on, and should be off in accessory, this is so that you are not producing HHO when you are not using it.( i did this with a volt meter and playing with the key to see which sockets gave me power in ignition on, but not off or accessory)
In the case of my truck it was socket 6(i originally used sokcet 16, but that one was throwing check engine lights, so i switched to 6), and i used the extra 20A fuse that was in the cover to the box and hooked the wire up to that.

after i hooked up the wire i put a 15A fuse inline, and an extra on/off switch which is accessible from inside the truck, just incase i should ever need to turn it off for any reason

now it is time to make all of the connections to the truck, and run the wire out of the cab and into the engine bay, which i did by simply running the wire through the door jam and through the dead space on the outside edge of the hood, and then accross the front of the fan shroud.

i then put the tank with the cell in it in the space right in front of the stock air intake and hooked up one of the wires coming out of the tank to the body ground which is right there, nice and convenient and then the other one up to the power source that i ran from the fuse box.

you cannot see the ground hookup in this picture, but it does show you the hose, the live power feed and all of my epoxy joints as well as a general idea of where in the engine bay i put it

i will post MPG results when i get them probably a week or two but i can say the the truck is idling smoother now than before i put this in and it seems to be quiter than it did before

and if anybody needs any more details or any pics that i have not included please let me know and i will try to get them for you

ok so that is how i installed my HHO generator, i am still testing it to see if it works, keep in mind that this is just how I did MINE and that i make no garantees that it will work for you nor do i suggest that you try it if you dont know what you are doing, and that you are responsible for any damage to you truck that is caused by following this write up.

RESULTS

ok so before the tank was installed i was getting about 15-16 around town(yes i know you all think that is pretty good for this truck), and 19-20 on the highway

now that i have installed the HHO generator i am getting 17.5-18.5 around town, and well over 20(i would say 21-22) on the highway, and about 20 mixed driving, this is with NO other mods besides adding the HHO generator to it, i do NOT have an efie, or map sensor mod and i have gained some noticable mpgs so this does work to some extent, so enjoy trying it for yourself i will definetly be leaving mine on the truck

I AM NOT LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OR PERSONAL INJURIES INCURRED BY TRYING THIS. ATTEMPT THIS CONVERSION AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:06 AM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: DIY HHOGENERATOR

this is really interesting im just kinda confused of how it works still?

Old 06-25-2008, 12:49 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

the elctric current running through the water breaks each water molecule apart in to 2 H(hydrogen) and 1 O(oxygen) atoms, which are then fed into your air intake and burned in place of some of the gas that you would have otherwise burned, im less than 100 miles into this tank so ill let you know the actual results when i have burned a couple more tanks through the truck

Old 06-25-2008, 01:15 PM
Brummo
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So as far as electrical goes, it's basically hooked to the battery through the fuse box. Nothin fancy right? Then do you have it hooked to the air intake before or after the Filter?
I'm interested in results you get too.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:50 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ook thats what i was confused about wasn't sure if it went into the gas tank or where i guess i didnt read it good enough and if that works its pretty neat im excited to hear the results.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:26 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

ORIGINAL: Brummo

So as far as electrical goes, it's basically hooked to the battery through the fuse box. Nothin fancy right? Then do you have it hooked to the air intake before or after the Filter?
I'm interested in results you get too.
thats correct, its just plugged into the fuse box through a fuse that is only powered when the ignition is in the "on" position

and it goes into the air intake, mine is before the filter because i did not want to cut or drill into the plastic intake box, but you can put it in after if you want to

Old 06-25-2008, 02:29 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cannot believe it is as simple as that? i thought you would have to add some kinda additive to the water to boost the electrolisys to generate more hydrogen or oxygen?

Old 06-25-2008, 06:23 PM
Brummo
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you add any baking soda to water to help? I heard a lot of people run their systems on a demand type system, connecting to the comupter, etc.. Very confusing to me. this would seem simpler to get some hydrogen to the truck. Probably a little safer too. Hope it's working.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:04 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

Kensai, if you want to add something to it to help boost electrolysis you can, i was using a little bit of salt, but i dont recomend that one it destroyed my first set of plates and i had to replace them, but you can use baking soda or vinegar if you want too.

and this generates HHO on demand but it doesnt hook into the computer, the only thing i could think of going into a computer for would be somehow changing how many amps the thing than pull, mine is using less than 15 amps(i have a 15 amp inline fuse that has not blown yet)

Old 06-26-2008, 08:37 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Whenever you get a chance, hook it up to a ampmeter and see how much power it is drawing using your plates? I also, think if using additives to generate more gases, is because it is giving the water more conductivity to make more gases. Of course, more conductivity, means more power draw.

I am thinking, hmm, if we can build a plate that can take up at least half or more of the volume space in the container, then it can generate more gases. If it can build enough gases without having to add additives to make more gases, I would assume it should draw less power and also preserve the life of the plates.