2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Upgrading new truck

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 07:57 PM
Cross17
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading new truck

Hey i just joined the forums and i must say im impressed with all the comments and topics. I just bought a 04 dakota 4x4 quad cab today and i pick it up tomorrow. Its already got the nerf bars on both sides. I want to get those box bars the chrome ones and other chrome door handles. But i have a couple questions.

What does a cold air intake do for you truck??is it worth it and is it easy to install

and if anyone has any dodge supplies websites wher eu can buy stuff off the internet thats cheap eassy and fast id love if you can post the site. thanks guys

Old 07-16-2008, 09:42 PM
Billiam
Champion
Default RE: Upgrading new truck

First off, Welcome to the Forum. Secondly, don't take his opinion as everyone elses.

CAI is cheap. I you can make you own pipe with Home Depot's help. Less bend the better.

Ebay helps out great for some stuff, but also this site has some great sponsors too.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:33 PM
marchant
Professional

If you are interested in the Home Depot version, check the picture in my signature. It's the homebrew made from PVC. Sounds redneck but it's just as good as anything else. I have since then painted it black to make it look like it belongs under the hood of a truck.

however, this isn't the best CAI (it would only be the best if you could grab air solely from the gap at the fender, but it's not even that great of a design to begin with and quite pricey to do so.)

But to answer your question, CAI will help increase the air flow going into your truck's engine, thus allowing it to stay cooler. Ultimately it breathes better and will help improve gas mileage. It's very good for you to have if you only make few modifications to your truck.

If you have some money to spend, combining it with headers and an exhaust system, you will be blown away at how well your truck will operate. You will recieve better throttle response, much better breathing (the best it can get), and at least 5-6 mpg better gas mileage!

To make the homebrew PVC kit such as mine:
1. Buy 1 straight PVC pipe 3in diameter (about 3-5 feet of it)
2. Buy 1 45 degree PVC 3in turn pipe
3. Buy 1 90 degree PVC 3in turn pipe
4. Buy PVC glue
5. (optional) Buy heat resistant black paint
6. Buy a K&N filter of choice (Mine is a Cylinder which is universal for Hummers and Excursions... bigger= better)
7. 2 PVC rubber connectors: 3" to 3" and 3" to 2.5"

I want to say my measurements were 5in, 3in, and 8in for cutting the straight pipe and then attaching the 90 degree at the top and the 45 at the bottom. It only takes minutes to play around and get it right.

Hope this helps! Welcome to DF!

Old 07-17-2008, 01:21 AM
crateampsrock
Veteran

Sadly your figures for the home made CAI will only work on the 3.9 v-6 and possibly the 5.2 and 5.9 v-8's. The 4.7 v-8 faces the front of the truck and would require a sharp 90 to the pass. side, then a slight bend downward then another 45-90 to face it towards the front.A 5-6 mpg increase is stretching it a little much. You'd be lucky to get 2-3.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:59 AM
marchant
Professional

2-3 is what I got from exhaust alone. I never put headers in my truck, but combining all three together, I am positive you can get 5-6 mpg better than stock. I was throwing all three together, not just the intake.

And the configuration could be completely wrong for other engines... Most of that is playing by ear and a little testing to find out the best path. I was just trying to help get a feeling for what it would take.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:51 AM
wink2873
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

whoa whoa whoa calm down marchant, you're not going to get 5-6 mpg from a cai and exhaust. headers are a waste of money unless you have a v8 and you're looking for a better sound. if you're not pushing boost stock exhaust manifolds are fine. in fact, most people find headers to just be a pain in the *** due to problems like leaking and bolts comming loose.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:19 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

actually here is a website to make an intake for the 4.7 pretty much the same thing and this guy uses abs instead of pvc which i heard is better. i can't find abs around my house in lancaster, pa but i saw it at a lowes in williamsport, pa were my school is so i guess it depends on where you are. for me i just deleted the intake resonator box on my 4.7 with a 90 degree pvc elbow. when im back up at school i plan on just getting an abs elbow and piece of pipe and another rubber clamp thing and just run that from the stock intake box to the tb so its smooth pipe. maybe get a k&n drop in but i heard the cone filters are a waste unless you want the noise or build a really really good heat shield. the stock system is fairly good. one other thing i did was cut out the front and side of my stock air box to allow more air in but only from the front and side not the hot air from the side of the engine.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:04 PM
Loud Pedal
The Total Package

this part of the forum site can get kinda boring after a while but picks back up....i mailny stick to the OFF TOPIC area its funny!!!!!

i have the CAI that you can make at autozone and i love the way it sounds.....

CAI.jpg

Quick Reply: Upgrading new truck