2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Knock in Steering Intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 11:06 AM
jmich
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knock in Steering Intermittently

Hi Everyone!

Two days ago I started to feel a single knock in my steering wheel when I come to a full stop, take off from a full stop, when the trans shifts and over some bumps (not all). My son and I looked around the engine and found the Steering Gear Box looks wet. I have been reading some forms and was wondering the best layman's way of trying to determine if it is a hose, the Pitman Arm or the gear box itself?

It is a 1998 Dodge Dakota 4WD SLT, 3.9 V6 Magnum.

Thanks in advance, Joel

Old 08-02-2008, 11:16 PM
djr8505
Default RE: Knock in Steering Intermittently

My 98 seems to have the same issues that you are describing. On of the things our Mech looked at was the steering link to the pump. If you happen to pinpoint the error let me know ok?

Old 08-03-2008, 10:36 PM
jmich

Hi,

I wanted to give an updatye after a day of analysis and repairs. My friend (Mech Handy Dude) came up from down state and said that the wetness that I was looking at on the steering gear box was not "wet" it is grease...LOL. Anyway, he said the steering box is fine. He was looking the suspension and steering over and we raise the driver side and get this....the driver side wheel as soon as it was raised away from the pavement shifted about three inches!

Upper Ball Joints...TOAST! Totally loose beyone belief.

So off to buy a grinder, pickle fork and a pair of UBJs (they were very easy to install). Then we cut the rivets off (Yes, 10 years old, original UBJs), and popped the new ones on. The steering seems a little better since my tires shouldn't fly off now but the knock is still there.

We are thinking that the Pitman Arm is next on the hit list. Still would appreciate anyone's opinions on this and I will update you all on the progress we are doing.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:55 AM
2001DodgeMan
Rookie

jmich,where is the Pittman arm located and I will be following this thread as to how you finally got that knock fixed.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:42 AM
djr8505

Yeah our mech repaired the ball joints as well, the knock was reduced but not gone completely. It definently is connected to a shift in the weight of the truck i.e. stopping, accelerating, tight turns.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:44 PM
jmich

The Pitman Arm is attached to the Steering Gear Box (underneath) and connects to the centerlink (I THINK...do not have my Chilton book w/me).

My friend said that teh Dakota has one of the easiest front ends HOWEVER, he said every little issue affects the whole thing...I'll keep ya all posted on progress.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:24 AM
djr8505

The stearing gear box is the pump looking thing that is in front of the truck behind the radiator. It connects to the steering shaft from the cab right?

I read on Dakota-Durango forums that some of the time, the knock is due to worn U joints in the connecting rod or warn bushings in the firewall. I checked my rod the other night and the joints didn't seem to have any play in them; however, I have not checked the bushing for irregularities.

Don

Old 08-06-2008, 09:45 AM
jmich

Hi Don,

Interesting; I will have to check with my buddy and we'll see about those items before I replace the Pitman. Not that replacing the Pitman would be bad but I believe in the old saying that if it ain't broke...keep your hands off

ps - You are correct in the location of the Steering Gear Box.

Last edited by jmich; 08-06-2008 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Posted more information
Old 08-12-2008, 08:17 PM
jmich

Just to update, we have found anything yet loose in the steering. The steering shaft from the firewall to the gear box had a small amount of play but not enough to cause the problem. Plus, there is less than 2 inches of play in the steering wheel from the cab.

Right now, I am stuck investigating and it seems to knock worse as every day goes by.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:48 PM
DocZ

It's very likely the intermediate shaft (steering shaft) that comes from the steering column.
Pull the rubber boot back and pack some heavy grease down the shaft at the double D joint using a method similar to packing wheel bearings (I spent about 15 minutes working grease into mine..
If it lessens the knock, then replace the shaft.

Quick Reply: Knock in Steering Intermittently