2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

03 R/T Info

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 11:54 PM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wingerak92
Ok. The 3rd Gen R/T is what I was thinking of with the 4.7L. So besides winter driving, the truck would be worth a very close look
It has the 4.7 HO (High Output) so it does have more power over the stock 4.7, the 3rd gen is mainly cosmetics it has better interior and r/t decals on the outside with better wheels and tires. Not as put together as the 2nd gen R/Ts but its an ok truck. Very rare i never see them on the roads where i live, ive seen 1 and thats it.

they made the 2nd gen r/ts from 98-03. 5.9 Powerplant, Suspension to out handle a stock F-Body, Painted bumbers to match truck, free flow exhaust, upgraded chrome tip, upgraded wheels and tires, lowerd 1in from factory, 250hp/344#tq at crank, and with the crap 46re 4 speed tranny almost 20% of that is lost about 180 gets to the wheels.. very sad. But the massive torque created by the 5.9 is well worth it..

in my opnion go with the 4.7 HO its better, has the same power, but little less torque and alot of companys that make parts for the 5.9 magnuims are starting to get old and disconntiuned the 4.7s are going to be the next big then when a stroker kits comes out that people can afford... and the 6.1hemi is in the spot light right now since all the new SRT packages on the chargers, magnums, 300s, Challangers ect... Dakotas are starting to become a thing of the past... we are getting old guys!

Old 11-23-2008, 02:13 AM
wink2873
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

user what are you talking about? 3rd generation dakotas are the gayest looking trucks on the road. The 06 "R/T" is nothing but a regular 4.7 HO dakota with gay looking stickers. They're nothing. You can probably order the stickers from a dealer and voila, you have an 06 dakota R/T. Oh and lets not forget the fake hood scoop. And I dont know why you think aftermarket support for the 5.9 is going away, its not. Companies have been making stuff for 40 years for the 360 and its going to continue to be made. Even if major companies like edelbrock stopped making products, there will always be places like hughes engines that make their own stuff. Honestly, I know that the new hemis will get alot of support, but I dont think that the 4.7 will ever see any aftermarket support other than stupid stuff like air intakes and headers. I have yet to see an aftermarket intake manifold (probably because its plastic), aftermarket bottom end kits, aftermarket heads, or anything aftermarket that will actually make power without boost. Really all there is available is aftermarket cams, and they can only do so much.

Old 11-23-2008, 04:59 AM
User
Champion

Originally Posted by wink2873
user what are you talking about? 3rd generation dakotas are the gayest looking trucks on the road. The 06 "R/T" is nothing but a regular 4.7 HO dakota with gay looking stickers. They're nothing. You can probably order the stickers from a dealer and voila, you have an 06 dakota R/T. Oh and lets not forget the fake hood scoop. And I dont know why you think aftermarket support for the 5.9 is going away, its not. Companies have been making stuff for 40 years for the 360 and its going to continue to be made. Even if major companies like edelbrock stopped making products, there will always be places like hughes engines that make their own stuff. Honestly, I know that the new hemis will get alot of support, but I dont think that the 4.7 will ever see any aftermarket support other than stupid stuff like air intakes and headers. I have yet to see an aftermarket intake manifold (probably because its plastic), aftermarket bottom end kits, aftermarket heads, or anything aftermarket that will actually make power without boost. Really all there is available is aftermarket cams, and they can only do so much.
SuperChargers, Turbo Kits, Suspension Kits, Cams, Heads, Headers ect have been discontinued for the 5.9 and 5.2, yes you can still buy them from 3rd party company's and vendors that still may have something in stock, but group buys are getting VERY common if you need a part for your R/T. Im on about 7 Dakota sites, and have seen vendors give up on it.

here are your 4.7 upgrades and Single Plane Intake Manifold looks similar to the m-1

http://www.airram.com/custompage.php?page=18

also what does plastic have to do with anything? The stock 5.2 and 5.9 beer barrel intakes look the same as the 4.7.. just the 4.7s are lighter and create less heat.. you can still replace it with something like a m-1. It doesn't have to be plastic LOL.

Mopar Performance is really taking a down fall on the 5.9 and 5.2 perf. Upgrades. The PCMs, Headers, Heads, Cams, have all been discontinued and can only be bought through group buys.. im surprised they are keeping the m-1 around, but its on national backorder and the price has doubled for the 2bbl... it will be gone soon also.

They are working more on the 4.7 and 5.7 and 6.1 Hemi. 4.7 aftermarket parts are going to be poping up alot faster then you think, and with better tech i woudn't be surprised if the 4.7 puts out some sick numbers in the future.. hell look at the 4.6 v8 from Ford.. in all the Mooostang GTs... 5.2 and 5.9 are getting old. Im not saying they are bad, im just saying perf parts are going to get harder and harder to find...

and yes the 4.7 H/O 3rd gen R/Ts are ugly, but its not just a sticker decal. Look up the info on the 3rd gen R/T..

Old 11-23-2008, 12:07 PM
wingerak92
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I am personally a fan of the 2008 Dakota. A did hear rumours about Dodge getting tight-lipped when asked if they were coming out with a sport style dakota. Maybe with the Hemi. I will not give up hope. I have my eye on a 2008 Dakota SLT in the dealership in my town that, if I can save up a large enough down payment, I will look to buy next June when we have Truckfest. I just need a DD until then. The 08 Dakota I have my eye on has the 4.7L V8, 4x4, Crew Cab, CD/DVD/MP3/Nav System, Automatic, Brilliant White Clearcoat, 6 Alpine Speakers, 276 Watt Amp, Transmission, Power Steering, Heavy Duty Engine Cooling, Captains Chairs. No Leather (Which is the best part). The trucks tarted life at $44,390CAD and is now running for $34,995CAD. It has less than 100km on it as well. I am thinking that jsut a cheap rice burning 4 banger would be best to last me until Truckfest.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:14 PM
bpark8824
Champion

Theres nothing better than a big old in block cam v8 though. I much rather take a 5.9 and put a stroker kit in it w/ a huge cam and some heads than do it to a 4.7. That 5.9 would now be a 408 6.7L. That would be so much more badass than any newer one w/ a 4.7. Plus they look 10x better.

Old 11-23-2008, 02:45 PM
wink2873
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by User2006

and yes the 4.7 H/O 3rd gen R/Ts are ugly, but its not just a sticker decal. Look up the info on the 3rd gen R/T..
Theres stickers and different cosmetic things like a fake hood scoop and different wheels, I looked at one at a dealership while I was getting my ignition lock recall done. Functionally, they are the same as any other dakota with the 4.7 HO and automatic trans. The only truck dodge is making that is somewhat close to a performance model anymore is the 09 Ram R/T. Its a single cab Ram with the 5.7, 4.10 gears and a limited slip diff, plus a different torque converter that will chirp the tires on a 1-2 shift. It also comes with dual exhaust but I think all the 09 rams do now or something. anyway its supposed to do 0-60 in under 7 seconds. Seriously, someone has a new dakota R/T that lives down the street from me... its a joke.

Old 11-23-2008, 03:43 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

and UGLY too, i dotn like the 3rd gens before 08, the 08 i like tho they should offer an SRT-8 dakota w/ a 6 sp manual id buy it

Old 11-23-2008, 05:10 PM
User
Champion

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
and UGLY too, i dotn like the 3rd gens before 08, the 08 i like tho they should offer an SRT-8 dakota w/ a 6 sp manual id buy it
No crap. If they made a Single Cab, SRT-8 6.1Hemi Dakota Supercharged... that would blow my wad.

But they would have to make it in a 2nd gen dakota.. i dont really like the new 3rd gen style... but hell if they stuck a 6.1 s/ced hemi in the 3rd gen... i might buy it, ill just have to drop it, and shave everything. if they made a single cab 3rd gen i bet it would look good.

Old 11-23-2008, 05:21 PM
wink2873
Record Breaker

and chrysler wonders why they're going out of business, 2nd gen dakotas were some of the most popular trucks on the road, then they went and ruined everything.

Old 11-23-2008, 05:26 PM
bpark8824
Champion

The new dakotas are better looking but the 2nd gen was one of the best and most aggresive looking trucks there ever was, and then the new style screams "old people buy me" The new dakota looks pretty good but they do need to make a srt8 dak. A 6.1L would be amazing but even a 5.7L in a single cab would still be awesome. Dodge would never put a 6spd 6.1 in it because it would be too awesome.

Realistically though a 5.7L Hemi single cab r/t should be offered.

Quick Reply: 03 R/T Info