2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Engine just Dies

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 12:12 PM
Captain Obvious
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine just Dies

Hello I have a 2004 Dodge Dakota with the V8. Having problems with the engine shuting off with out warning. It seems like the fuel pump shuts off. I took it to the dealer and they said there was weak fuel preasure. They replaced the fuel pump. After I got it back about a week later still having the same problem. There is no check engine light on. And it dosent happen all the time. It runs great when it does. And everytime I try to take it back to the dealer it runs fine. It has left me stranded about 6 times now and when it shuts down it wont restart from 5 min to letting it sit overnight. Has anybody expeirenced something like this? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:14 PM
varsis
Record Breaker

I would try replacing the relay. Next would be explain how it does, is it straight dead? Or is it just sputter for a bit than die?

If it just flat out dies I would suspect Crank or Cam Sensor. Maybe even your alternator is starting to go bad.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:24 PM
Captain Obvious

Originally Posted by varsis
I would try replacing the relay. Next would be explain how it does, is it straight dead? Or is it just sputter for a bit than die?

If it just flat out dies I would suspect Crank or Cam Sensor. Maybe even your alternator is starting to go bad.

Its just straight dead. But the battery still has plenty of juice. It still cranks it just dosent fire. We sprayed starting fluid in the intake and it started to sputter which would lead me to beleive its not getting any fuel. Where would the relay be located.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:29 PM
matj1990
Veteran

vapor lock ??? umm also could be somthing in your fuel tank getting sucked into the line then returning after sitting ? hard to say had this typ of thing happen when i turned a boat gas can into a tank for a off road truck

Old 12-08-2008, 12:40 PM
varsis
Record Breaker

hmmm, thats very odd... Sounds like the injectors aren't spitting juice. Inaways I would hook up a pressure tester, run the truck until it dies. watch the gauge the whole time, only way you will know if it's something before the injectors. I think some sensor is failing, and believe some electronic stuff can do really weird crap.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:45 PM
Captain Obvious

Originally Posted by varsis
hmmm, thats very odd... Sounds like the injectors aren't spitting juice. Inaways I would hook up a pressure tester, run the truck until it dies. watch the gauge the whole time, only way you will know if it's something before the injectors. I think some sensor is failing, and believe some electronic stuff can do really weird crap.
The only problem is it dosent happen all the time. Sometimes its once or twice a week and sometimes its maybe once a month. I will try replacing some of the relays and hopefully that helps. Thanks for the advice.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:48 PM
varsis
Record Breaker

well, here is something that happened to me once, a bad coil, i would be driving along minding my own business out of no where it would die.

So I would try to start it no luck okay, wait a bit 5 minutes and it would start up again. Believe me electronic stuff can be intermittent...

Old 12-08-2008, 01:42 PM
wink2873
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is it showing any codes? try the key on/off/on/off/on trick and see if any codes come up next time that happens.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:38 PM
rtdakota2001
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you OHM your injectors? check that.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:06 PM
Captain Obvious

Originally Posted by rtdakota2001
did you OHM your injectors? check that.

What does this mean?

Quick Reply: Engine just Dies