2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

squeeellll

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 01:08 PM
mightyminder
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ha ha, my alternator is making some noise too, planning to change it out today

Old 06-18-2009, 09:03 AM
mgilorma

so i bought a new alternator and belt last night, but decided to put the new belt on first to see if that would take care of the squeel and it did!!

Until I get in my truck this morning and it makes the same F-ing noise. I'm going to go drive my truck off a cliff.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:23 PM
mgilorma

Update:

The squeak re-presents itself every morning, after a long drive it seems to go away. Changed the alternator which had a slight squeak when I turned the pulley by hand. But to no avail, still squeaks enough to make me want to jump out the window while I'm driving down the street.

Last edited by mgilorma; 06-22-2009 at 08:22 AM.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:25 AM
mgilorma

I had a thought last night while drowning my squeaking sorrows in beer, it sounds like the squeak is coming from the top of the engine in the area of the AC compressor. Could it be an internal bearing in the compressor? The squeak doesn't change if the AC is on or off, but I was thinking about recharging the ac since the recharge canisters include lubricants for the AC system. I don't know what else to do at this point.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:24 AM
mightyminder
Amateur

dude, i am having the same problem. the alternator squeaked by hand so i changed it out and that was not it.

i have narrowed it down to two items and i will let you know what it is. could be a common problem.
either my tension pulley or power steering. pulley is rough to turn and the power steering is wobbly. i know its on the other side but because it wobbles it is moving the belt back and forth on the water pump which may have a possibility to make the noise. i do not think that could make so much noise though

Old 06-23-2009, 08:20 AM
mgilorma

I'm pretty sure its nothing mechanical. I cleaned the pulleys again and then made the mistake of putting belt dressing on the belt and when I put it on it didn't make any noise. But after a while I could see the pulleys getting dirty and apparently the belt dressing makes everything sticky. Today I'm going to degrease the engine and see if that helps. The only other thing that may or may not be an issue is the fact that I got a new tensioner pulley six months ago from advanced auto and the first one I got didn't work at all, the second seemed to work. But I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and get one from the dealer. I guess I wait and see how the degreasing goes.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:05 PM
Loud Pedal
The Total Package

Originally Posted by 00DakR/T
try turning each pulley by hand. If an idler or alternator bearing has gone out it should feel rough turning it.
Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
but in all seriousness try cleaning your pullies and turning them by hand to see if that brings issue out
wow sharp...way to go...that was alread said

Originally Posted by Spidamantnmc
well i went dirtbike riding to day....took my other truck...after getting drunk and riding around for like 5 hours i came back as was like...F it im gonna drive it...welp slowly the noise started going away and now its completely gone....maybe i used to much belt dressing and its finally drying up
thats a good thing...the squeel went away....the bad thing is...u drovez drunk

Old 06-24-2009, 09:58 AM
mgilorma

anywho, degreasing didn't help. Cleaned the belt and pulleys again yesterday, still no improvement. Taking it into the shop tomorrow to get looked at. At this point I'd rather pay somebody to figure out whats wrong with it. I'll post the results.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:39 AM
mightyminder
Amateur

heh, i took it to the shop yesterday and he could not figure it out

i am thinking to try a sledge hammer next, see if that fixes it

Old 06-25-2009, 10:00 AM
Loud Pedal
The Total Package

Originally Posted by mightyminder
heh, i took it to the shop yesterday and he could not figure it out