2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

squeeellll

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 10:38 AM
mgilorma
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shop said that the idler pulley was actually bad, which is weird because when I sprayed it with wd-40 it didn't stop making noise. But whatever, as long as that fixes the problem I'm happy!

Old 06-25-2009, 05:15 PM
mgilorma

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! Nope that wasn't it. So far all I know is that it is not the alternator or idler. Could be the belt, might go buy the more expensive one. I'm thinking about buying a new tensioner assembly from dodge. Other than that, all that is left is the power steering pulley, ac pulley, water pump, and crank pulley. AWESOME

Old 06-26-2009, 01:25 AM
clipper77
Veteran

my idler puller came off a few hours ago while my truck was running. I thought my steering just went out but then my engine started to over heat. After 2 hours and a call to AAA i went back to the spot to find my belt (fully intact) and a piece of my pulley. The sucker sheered right out of it's spot...took a nice bit out of my fan also.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:16 AM
mgilorma

Update:

I remembered that all of this squeeling started when I noticed that the belt was not in the grooves on the AC pulley. I thought "thats not right", so I put the belt back where it should be and the squeaking began the next day. So yesterday after the shop couldn't figure it out I said F it and put it back where it was. No squeak! The belt is not overhanging the pulley or anything, it is just not completely seated in the grooves, its seated more towards the engine. It was like this for the last 6 months with no problems, so I'm just going to leave it there till I have time and money to look into this crap again.

I'm thinking the extra tension on the belt since its not completely seated is getting rid of the squeak or I just need a new ac pulley. I still might get the dealer tensioner pulley. I saw this show on nbc about the black market for automotive parts and how in china they just copy the part and don't actually get the design from the original manufacturer. So maybe the generic brand tensioner I got from advanced isn't quit up to spec.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:15 AM
mightyminder
Amateur

Originally Posted by clipper77
my idler puller came off a few hours ago while my truck was running. I thought my steering just went out but then my engine started to over heat. After 2 hours and a call to AAA i went back to the spot to find my belt (fully intact) and a piece of my pulley. The sucker sheered right out of it's spot...took a nice bit out of my fan also.
that sucks. you should be happy there was no other damage

Old 06-26-2009, 11:17 AM
mightyminder
Amateur

Originally Posted by mgilorma
Update:

I remembered that all of this squeeling started when I noticed that the belt was not in the grooves on the AC pulley. I thought "thats not right", so I put the belt back where it should be and the squeaking began the next day. So yesterday after the shop couldn't figure it out I said F it and put it back where it was. No squeak! The belt is not overhanging the pulley or anything, it is just not completely seated in the grooves, its seated more towards the engine. It was like this for the last 6 months with no problems, so I'm just going to leave it there till I have time and money to look into this crap again.

I'm thinking the extra tension on the belt since its not completely seated is getting rid of the squeak or I just need a new ac pulley. I still might get the dealer tensioner pulley. I saw this show on nbc about the black market for automotive parts and how in china they just copy the part and don't actually get the design from the original manufacturer. So maybe the generic brand tensioner I got from advanced isn't quit up to spec.
wow, thanks, i am going to look for that today