2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

can i do it hot?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 06:18 PM
RoaminGnome
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can i do it hot?

Ok this is kinda a retarded question BUT I am going to my parents sunday to work on my kota. It wont have time to cool down (which takes forever by the way) but i have quite a few things Id like to get done.

Can I do my plugs, wires, dist cap and rotor when the motor is hot/warm. Im not going to burn myself to death! I just need to get it done along with my TB swap. Can i do the TB swap when the motor is warm? The haynes manual says not to do anything until its cold but Im assuming that they are just saying that to cover their ***.

Lastly how long with the brake pads be lava hot? I need to replace them the squeaking is driving me insane. The duralast pads just need to be quiet, thats all I ask!

Old 01-29-2009, 06:32 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its all pretty much what you can take lol some things will be hotter than others...i've done oil right after getting back from getting it and other stuff you just gotta watch whats around and see how hot something is before you touch it

Old 01-29-2009, 07:33 PM
batman13
Grand Champion

pretty much you can do it warm, or hot,
just dont go grabbing stuff without being a bit cautious

Old 01-29-2009, 07:35 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I always do spark plugs with the engine dead cold. It's to prevent problems like stripping the threads and to be sure I get the old ones out in one piece and the new ones get tightened in correctly. No need for a torque wrench, just snug them up by feel. Put anti-sieze on the threads of the new plugs so they come out easily next time. I always buy my plugs the day before and start on it the next morning. Others may do it differently but that's how I learned it. Plus I don't want to burn myself on hot engine parts trying to get the plugs out and back in.

The wires, dist cap and rotor can be done with the engine warm I guess. Again, you take the risk of burning yourself. If possible let the engine cool down before starting work. Gap the new plugs, get the wires laid out, get your tools together, etc. while it cools off for an hour or two before starting if you can. You can also do the TB swap while the engine cools off. It won't matter whether the engine is hot to do that.

The brake pads should not be so hot you can't touch them after the truck sits a few minutes. If they are that hot or the wheels are really hot to the touch after driving, you probably have a problem with the caliper on that side. Get some anti-squeal compound and apply it liberally to the back sides of the new brake pads to keep them quiet. I like the red compound made by CRC. Grease the caliper slide pins and slide surfaces with caliper grease and your brakes should stay quiet. I did mine over a year ago and still have not heard one squeal from my brakes. If your old pads are still in good shape, maybe anti-squeal is all you need to get them quiet again.

Jimmy

Old 01-29-2009, 07:42 PM
rtdakota2001
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01SilverCC
Get some anti-squeal compound and apply it liberally to the back sides of the new brake pads to keep them quiet. I like the red compound made by CRC. Grease the caliper slide pins and slide surfaces with caliper grease and your brakes should stay quiet.
Jimmy
X2. that stuff is great.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:08 AM
varsis
Record Breaker

Plugs you can do, but I would just do it cold or you will have a burnt hand.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:13 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

If you are gonna do the plugs hot I would just start em in the threads alittle and let them sit so the heat dissipates into them or you'll have a chance of messing up the threads from overtightening etc... just follow what 01SilverCC did, he has good info.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:57 PM
2daks
Professional

Yep, do the plugs last. I stripped out one about 20 years ago trying to do it hot. By the time you get everything else done it ought to be cooled enough.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:42 AM
RoaminGnome
All Star

ok thanks guys! I was mostly concerned about expanding issues or safty issues. Wasnt sure if hot/warm plugs was a bad idea, there could be fuel in the cyliders or something. I WILL hurt myself its just the way it goes but i will be very cautious about what i touch.

Thanks again

Old 02-03-2009, 04:46 PM
RoaminGnome
All Star

OK so I only got to the TB sunday. Between the cold (the garage isnt heated OR insulated) and that I couldnt get the throttle cable out of the firewall. I swore at it for an hour or more and I just broke the V6 cable to get the V8 in.

I tell ya it makes a difference Im a big fan and I wish i did it sooner.