2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Front Brake issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 01:56 PM
pserra
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Brake issues

Just wondering if anyone had problems with their front brakes on their Dakota's.

I have a 2000 Dakota Quad Cab (3.9L 4X4)

The problem I have is that when I apply my brakes my brakes seem to work fine. When I suddenly have to stop, I apply more pressure to the pedal which causes my problems. The brakes act as if I have anti-lock in the frone by releasing, which then causes the stopping distance to increase because it seems the brakes release. My breaking does seem to be a little sensative also. I can lock my front tires easily at times, especially in wet conditions. I do own 2 dakotas. My other Dakota is an 1998 Club (5.2L 4X4) and I am comparing the braking to it.

I have had this problem for some time but thought it was my anti-lock brakes that was the problem. I thought all along I had 4 wheel anti lock but I just found out I don't. I found out by having to replace the driver side front bearing. My truck calls for the bearing which doesn't have the anti-lock sensor which means it doesnt have anti-locks. Checked it at the Dealer through my VIN Number. I double checked and triple checked and it doesn't have anti-lock in the front.

I have replaced my Pads and Rotors 2x's to try and solve this but with no success.

Does anyone know what would cause this problem??

Any help or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Peter

Old 03-30-2009, 03:12 PM
SeaWeedCT

That's correct, you have rear drum abs only, as I do on my 99 Dak 4x4, stupid I know. I had the same problems with fronts locking up in wet, sandy, or any type of non dry road condition. The best solution is getting a better set of front discs and pads, I recommend the drilled EBC rotors and any kind of ceramic pads. I put them on and the difference is huge!! Much more control and better braking. That's about all you can do for the fronts.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:45 PM
big.bryant
Champion

yes 4wheel ABS was only an option and i oftentimes have the problem of my fronts locking up... esp. here in colorado where we get a ton of snow... i recently ordered a new set of drilled and slotted rotors off of brakeplanet.com and although i have recieved them i haven't had a chance to put them on yet... i got two roters with all the pads for 140 bucks which wasn't too bad...

so basically you just have to learn to deal with not locking them up and if you need too i can PM you that site that has the ones that i got.

Cheers and welcome to the forum.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:07 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

I'm not sure if i can lock all 4 or not..but i think i have before...

Old 03-30-2009, 06:16 PM
big.bryant
Champion

ya dodge ABS in the rear tires isn't even all that great, esp when the tires that need the most traction don't have it its pretty pointless

Old 03-30-2009, 07:38 PM
pserra

Thanks Guys, for the response. I now know I am not the only one with this problem.

I guess I will spend a little more on rotors and it should solve my problems.

Thanks again
Peter

Old 03-31-2009, 09:55 AM
pserra

Just a question that has been bothering me???

What happens if you Master Cylinder or Power Booster fails???

Are the symptons in my first post characteristics of a bad Master Cylinder or Power Booster failure????

When I am under very hard braking is when it acts up. It seems to release pressure at my callipers (sort of like anti-lock) and I have to release my pedal and re-apply the brakes and some times even doing this doesn't help. The longer I wait between releasing the brake pedal and braking again the better chance I have for the brakes to work properly.

Some of you guys are suggesting that my calipers and pads need to be better qualities. I do agree with that. It doesn't hurt to have better. But, if I could lock them up or if I am having problems locking them up I would change them in a heart beat.

My symptons are not like that. If I could lock them up it should stay locked until I release the pedal because I have no anti-lock.

Again any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Peter

Old 03-31-2009, 10:33 PM
2daks
Professional

I was thinking power booster until everyone else chimed in. I've had a few go bad on different vehicles over the years and they usually gave you a spongy pedal intermittantly and eventually a "double foot on the brake oh crap am I going to stop" when totally bad. Not sure if thats what your experiencing.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:41 PM
2daks
Professional

I think theres an easy test for the Brake booster. Pump it up with the key off and see how long it takes to bleed off or something like that. Someone chime in, I got sometimers. Maybe "search" the forums?

Old 03-31-2009, 10:59 PM
2daks
Professional

OK, my sometimers got the best of me and I searched it for ya.
Heres the best I found on checking the booster and a good test for the master too. Its from a caravan post but should apply. Now if i can just stop talking to myself on here I'll be OK.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...e+booster+test

Hope this helps at least the knowledge may come in use some time.

Quick Reply: Front Brake issues