2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

I need an expert!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 07:03 PM
dakotachic82
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry I need an expert!!!!!

Ok so heres the deal. My truck needed a throw out bearing which had installed by a mechanic after that got put in i was told it needed a master/slave cylinder assembly so i had that done. Now I learn they say i need a whoe new clutch. I did not have them do that i just took it home. At this point they have had it for a month now and I learned that m driveshafts sat in the bed of the truck for this whole time unprotected and outside. I just took the truck home. Now as I am driving home and babying the clutch it starts maing this horrible metal rattelin noise and if i take the truck out of gear or try to slow down the noise gets worse and the whole truck shakes. I get it to a stop and park it and look under the truck and there is a puddle of fluid under there. Its leaking from where the drive shaft goes into the pumpkin. There is fluid all over the underneath of the truck. What happened here?? Any ideas???

Old 08-31-2009, 07:25 PM
tamcnally
Veteran

sounds like the u-joints probably locked up and took out the pinion seal.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:31 PM
dakotachic82

so what do I do now? you dnt think it was the rear end going out do you?

Old 08-31-2009, 07:45 PM
tamcnally
Veteran

no i really dont think it was but, when the u joint that connects to the front of the rear end was froze up it put everything out of balance and it was making the pinion move up and down in and out, any way that it could move. just a little but not alot, but that being said, it is impossible for a dynamic seal to retain any fluid in anything that is moving up or down.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:49 PM
dakotachic82

So just replacing the u joints and a seal should fix her?

Old 08-31-2009, 07:54 PM
tamcnally
Veteran

it should, but i would replace both u-joints because you said it was outside and unprotected for a month, might as well just be safe. and then replace the seal. and at the same time check the level of oil in the rear end. and if it is ridiculously low i might even say pull the cover off and check everything just to be safe. unless you know you didnt lose that much oil? then put it all back together and you get to worry about your clutch again!

Old 08-31-2009, 08:44 PM
dakotachic82

thank you so much. guess im replacing u joints this weekend.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:51 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

9.25s like to eat pinion bearings (the noise you're hearing), subsequently taking out the seal. I highly doubt the u-joints had enything to do with this. The mechanic would have noticed bad u-joints when installing the driveshaft because they're always trying to find something wrong and charge you more money.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:59 PM
dakotachic82

ok you think its bearings? Trust me this mechanic will never touch my truck ever again im pretty sure they didnt care what was wrong they just wanted it out of their shop. They had it for a month just to replace a throw out bearing and master/slave cylinder. Plus its not just a noise it shakes the whole truck ad gets worse when i try to slow down or take it out of gear.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:07 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It could be a combination of both, tf the pinion is leaking that much I'd bet on the bearings being bad too, and it could just be the u-joints making the noise/vibration but I wouldn't rule out the gears themselves in the diff going bad because of worn out pinion bearings. Assuming your truck has a 2 piece driveshaft, it's possible the carrier bearing may be bad too.

If I had the truck to look at I could point out the problem pretty quick but over the internet it's all just speculation.

Last edited by Hahns5.2; 08-31-2009 at 09:09 PM.

Quick Reply: I need an expert!!!!!