2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Bad connecting rod in 4.7L

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 01:52 PM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Bad connecting rod in 4.7L

Hey everyone,

Well, I WAS swapping motors out. I got everything put back together on the new motor after the tone ring swap and then I saw that the connecting rod going to my piston #4 had a flaw in it and had to tear it all back down.

I'm trying to get an idea here of what I will be looking at if I go to get machine work but everyone seems to have their own opinion. I have 8 connecting rods form the old motor, and I have one in the new that is bad. What I want to do is take all 8 rods and pistons from the old 4.7 to the machinist, ask him to pick on to replace the bad one in the new engine, then go through and change all my main bearings and all my connecting rod bearings.

I'm a little nervous because I haven't ever had to do machine work on something like this. V8 is normal to me, the 4.7 is not yet. Has anyone here had machine work done on a 4.7l? Even it is was to upgrade to high performance rods? I assume it has been done before.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:57 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't know how much. But I would suggest calling a few places and get an estimate. Machine work varies depending on what work needs to be done. Hopefully it is not that bad.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:37 PM
brhodes
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry I didn't see this sooner....

The rods on a 4.7 are scored and cracked, not cut and machined, at least that's what my machinist buddy told me today. That's not necessarily a flaw you're looking at.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:52 PM
sl2racer
Veteran

why dont you just take one rod out of the old motor and swap it for the bad rod?

Old 04-08-2013, 05:04 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

just an idea. was the engine with the bad rod over reved? if so there might be other damage in the engine. that is hard to see just by looking at it. just something to think about.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:10 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

You could just swap out one rod but it may through off the balance of the engine, rods should be balanced as a set so they weigh the same.

This maintains a smooth running and trouble free engine that will last many years

The pistons should be balanced as a set also.

Every engine I custom built I balanced every part and made sure they matched and had the crankshaft balanced also, all valves need to match at deck in height all valve pushrods should match exactly in length and weight if possible

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 04-08-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:04 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Old 04-08-2013, 10:06 PM
sl2racer
Veteran

well i have swapped out a rod or 2 multiple times and as long as they are oem parts they are all suppose to be with in a certain tolerance. i have never had an issue with doing this. now for aftermarket/performance parts it is more important.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:14 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Old 04-09-2013, 11:59 AM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure what is going on here, but thanks for the help. However, this thread is over three and a half years old! Why it is revived, no clue. I did find it funny though, a little late might be an understatement. Anyways, to clarify for people so that all of this misinformation isn't out there, here it goes.

The rod was indeed flawed. There is a chunk of metal missing at the cracked interface. When a rod is cracked and put back together with the connecting rod bolts, it is a very clean edge, almost hard to see. Very precise, when it isn't flawed. Another side note, conecting rod bolts are TTY, they must be replaced if you swap out the rods or tone ring.

That being said, you do not need to balance the 4.7 out, I didn't and I have 90K on the engine since this thread was made. The crank is balanced, and the pistons/rods come as a set, pressed together, and you should not balance them, so don't try. It is a pressed method to creating these rods and they shouldn't be machined on like that. Be careful what information you pass out before you cost someone between $100-$200 to go buy a new piston /rod set from the dealer.

sl2, you are correct. The rod/pistons are held to a tolerance at the factory and anything OEM will be fine from the factory. Aftermarket is aftermarket and needs to be looked at differently.

Quick Reply: Bad connecting rod in 4.7L