2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

noob tuneup questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 06:44 PM
RoaminGnome
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

champion is OEM but the autolight 3923 runs a cooler heat range and runs better in the magnum engines.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:19 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bpark8824
I think you need to more homework on this issue. Dodge does NOT make the Mopar filters. They are made by various other companies and not all are the same. So even though you may by the the same filter at wal-mart each time, the actual filter inside could be different. Some Mopar filters are ACTUALLY FRAM filters. So if you say no to Fram you might want to reconsider the Mopar. They are also Purolators and Wixes. Mopar doesn't require anything special from this makers and just ends up painting them black and stamping a big M on them...

I agree that the Fram filters are junk, they are all cardboard and don't filter very well. I've seen cut up filters and WIX, Purolator, and K&N's filters were the best by far.

There are only a couple companies that actually make oil filters...

Plus if you want Mobil 1, you might as well buy Supertech from Wal-mart. Its the same stuff.
Here is that study and I stand corrected as it has been changed Engine Oil FiltersOil Filter Study Also found this Mopar Filters In fact there is a lot of info in there.

Now to address the rest of your post.

Oil filters are like spark plugs, everyone has their favorites and you can talk blue in the face regarding who is better. The fact of the matter is, you need to find one that has a good construction then find the best micron filtration on single use because multi-pass will even be better. If I remember right the K&N only had like a 94% filtering capability at 10 micron on single pass?

Now it's my turn.

You have to check the bottom of the container on a 5 gallon jug. If there is an embossed letter "G," this is made by Exxon. If there is a "WPP" this is made by Warren Performance Products.

The difference between Supertech and Mobil 1 is TOTALLY DIFFERENT!......

And as for the Fully Synthetic ATF+4, well you better check into this: ATF+3 & ATF+4 Facts

Old 12-07-2009, 08:35 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't really favor one oil filter over the other. Almost all of them will do the job fine. Your engine is not going to spontanously combust if you put an inferior oil filter in it. The Mopar filters are made by Purolator, Wix, and Fram. If you got a Wix or Purolator it would be a good filter, but you never know. I'm assuming since the ones at Wal-Mart are always the cheapest and made in such mass quantities, I'm guessing they're Frams, but theres no way to tell.

Also I've seen reviews of all the filters and have seen SEVERAL that said the K&N had solid construction and great filtering. I mean I'm not really standing up for them. They're over priced since it's the same as the Mobil 1 filter which is $2 less. (Same company makes both).

I usually use the Mopar ones because they're cheap at Wal-Mart and I know any oil filter you buy at Wal-Mart won't ruin your engine. You could use a bottum of the line Fram filter for the entire life of a vehicle and in the end at 300k miles, it fails due to no fault of the oil filter. Then you could use Mobil 1 or K&N filters for the life of a vehicle and at 300k miles it will fail due to no fault of the filter.

And you're probably right about the supertech. It was just something I heard that Mobil 1 makes supertech. Maybe they make the conventional?

Old 12-08-2009, 12:19 AM
Independentfool
Veteran

you cant be safe with AC Delco anymore either. They are now being made by the same manu as Fram. Old stock of the Delco's may be good for a short while, but....

Stick with Wix, Purolator, or Bosch.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:42 AM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm tired of hearing one brand of oil filter is better than the next. EVERY BRAND HAS DIFFERENT LINES OF THEIR OWN PRODUCT!! I'd buy a fram tough guard long before I bought the cheapest purolator... the tough guards are actually a pretty decent filter despite the rest of the fram lines being terrible. Now I think purolator and wix make some of the best filters, but both company's cheap line of filters are junk. NAPA and Carquest filters are both made by WIX, so you can't go wrong with them, but again, as long as you stay away from the cheap ones. Bosch is also pretty decent. I personally use either the purolator pureone or a bosch filter, simply because they are the best filters (in my opinion) at each of the two nearest autoparts stores to me. I would use wix but I don't like the extra drive to napa just to do an oil change.

It seems to me like most oil filter makers have three basic price ranges for their filters... less than $5, a $5-10 price range, and a $10+ price range. Just be smart and don't use the cheapest ones of any brand, but don't waste your money on the expensive ones either. Use any filter in that midrange for price and your motor won't die because of your choice of oil filter.

Last edited by 95_318SLT; 12-08-2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:29 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

+1.......95 318slt

Old 12-08-2009, 09:36 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I probably won't ever buy a bottum on the line Fram, but in reality it really won't effect your engine any. Unless you own a vehicle with some crazy tolerences it won't make a difference.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:06 PM
willyb8
Amateur

anything else i should change out while i'm at it. is there a pcv or anything ?

Old 12-10-2009, 03:24 PM
chris1974
Veteran

Autolite 3923 is the best for a 4.7 magnum.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:11 PM
willyb8
Amateur

Originally Posted by chris1974
Autolite 3923 is the best for a 4.7 magnum.
found them at wally world for 2.75 for a 2-pack.

Quick Reply: noob tuneup questions