2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

noob tuneup questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 09:45 AM
willyb8
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noob tuneup questions

just bought a 01 Quad cab SLT 4.7L auto. looking to change all fluids, wires, distributor, and plugs. i've been searching but haven't found anything that recommends which stuff to get. i figured i'd go with mobil-1 5w30 oil. but what should i get for the diff (regular 75w90 gear oil)? trans-case? tranny? and should i just get the ngk copper plugs and oem wires or is there a better choice. i've ordered a chilton manual but it hasn't come in yet. also, every time i do a search in the faq section i get no results no matter what i search for.

thanks

Old 12-05-2009, 11:27 AM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, I'm guessing you meant distributor cap. But the 4.7 doesn't have one. So don't go looking for one.

Get the standard plugs. More expensive plugs aren't worth it and won't help any.

For oil, go synthetic. Pennzoil and Valvoline are my favorites. Moibl 1 is over rated and over priced. K&N oil filters are good, so are purolator and acdelco. Don't get a Fram.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:49 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on the distributor. Also there are no plug wires. It is a coil on plug setup. Change your plugs with champions. I use 75-90 mobil 1 full synthetic in my diffs and they are doing great. I'll be doing an oil change next week actually. I cannot remember whether your engine takes 5-30 or 10-30 but whatever the manufacturer recommendation is stick with it. The 5.2 and 5.9 take 10-30 and that's all I would use for mine. Whatever oil you choose to use is up to you. I run mobil 1 full syn personally and am happy with it however if the truck has had regular motor oil in it for many miles you will start to find leaks with synthetic as it cleans up gunk better.

Old 12-05-2009, 02:45 PM
willyb8
Amateur

cool thanks

Old 12-05-2009, 02:56 PM
f0x672
Champion

i changed over to amsoil in the engine around 95,000 miles.. as for the transmission and t case.. use mopar atf +4... its already synthetic and these units are designed to work with that fluid. vice versa

Old 12-05-2009, 04:07 PM
bpark8824
Champion

Originally Posted by f0x672
i changed over to amsoil in the engine around 95,000 miles.. as for the transmission and t case.. use mopar atf +4... its already synthetic and these units are designed to work with that fluid. vice versa
+1, make sure you stick with mopar atf +4...

And the 4.7 takes 5w30 incase you were wondering...

Old 12-05-2009, 04:43 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bpark8824
For oil, go synthetic. Pennzoil and Valvoline are my favorites. Moibl 1 is over rated and over priced. K&N oil filters are good, so are purolator and acdelco. Don't get a Fram.
A couple of things I see here. First Mobil 1 is the best out there.....IMHO.... and they actually break oil base to a full 2 micron unlike cheaper companies that do it over the allotted time period as government laws allow. Before you say one is better than the other you need to do your homework. Personally, if you stay with the main name brands you’re in a better position but I know what I'm talking about. Besides I was at Wal-Mart yesterday and Mobil 1 was $22 bucks for a 5qt container and Pennzoil was at $21.75 so I'd shoot for Mobil 1 only because I've done my own testing on their products. This is the reason the pricing is up and down for name brands of Fully Synthetic lubricants.

The best filter is OEM believe it or not. That’s right, Mopar and you can buy them at Wal-Mart as well for $5 bucks. Fram is crap!....LOL….. The Mobil 1 Synthetic filters are $10 bucks and just plain not worth it. I wish I could find the post a user did on all the name brand filters you can even think of and opened them up to show how they were built. OEM was the winner by the way but everyone had at least one issue.

Not saying one company is better then another and there are some great products out there but in reality Royal Purple at $18 bucks a qt compared to Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic 75W-90 LS or LS rated for $9 bucks and I KNOW that it’s fully processed correctly, well I know I’m going with Mobil 1 because of the testing that my family does and my own experiments. Yes you can see I’m partial for Mobil 1 products now which by the way used to be Pennzoil as my favorite and although I was using Pennzoil during the time Mobil 1 was $28 compared to $22 bucks for the same 5qt container during the fuel crisis I am now happy to say the reserves are back down to normal so they are the same price.
One thing I noticed is I used more during the life of the 5,000 mile interval of Pennzoil FS over Mobil 1 FS.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:04 PM
bpark8824
Champion

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
A couple of things I see here. First Mobil 1 is the best out there.....IMHO.... and they actually break oil base to a full 2 micron unlike cheaper companies that do it over the allotted time period as government laws allow. Before you say one is better than the other you need to do your homework. Personally, if you stay with the main name brands you’re in a better position but I know what I'm talking about. Besides I was at Wal-Mart yesterday and Mobil 1 was $22 bucks for a 5qt container and Pennzoil was at $21.75 so I'd shoot for Mobil 1 only because I've done my own testing on their products. This is the reason the pricing is up and down for name brands of Fully Synthetic lubricants.

The best filter is OEM believe it or not. That’s right, Mopar and you can buy them at Wal-Mart as well for $5 bucks. Fram is crap!....LOL….. The Mobil 1 Synthetic filters are $10 bucks and just plain not worth it. I wish I could find the post a user did on all the name brand filters you can even think of and opened them up to show how they were built. OEM was the winner by the way but everyone had at least one issue.

Not saying one company is better then another and there are some great products out there but in reality Royal Purple at $18 bucks a qt compared to Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic 75W-90 LS or LS rated for $9 bucks and I KNOW that it’s fully processed correctly, well I know I’m going with Mobil 1 because of the testing that my family does and my own experiments. Yes you can see I’m partial for Mobil 1 products now which by the way used to be Pennzoil as my favorite and although I was using Pennzoil during the time Mobil 1 was $28 compared to $22 bucks for the same 5qt container during the fuel crisis I am now happy to say the reserves are back down to normal so they are the same price.
One thing I noticed is I used more during the life of the 5,000 mile interval of Pennzoil FS over Mobil 1 FS.
I think you need to more homework on this issue. Dodge does NOT make the Mopar filters. They are made by various other companies and not all are the same. So even though you may by the the same filter at wal-mart each time, the actual filter inside could be different. Some Mopar filters are ACTUALLY FRAM filters. So if you say no to Fram you might want to reconsider the Mopar. They are also Purolators and Wixes. Mopar doesn't require anything special from this makers and just ends up painting them black and stamping a big M on them...

I agree that the Fram filters are junk, they are all cardboard and don't filter very well. I've seen cut up filters and WIX, Purolator, and K&N's filters were the best by far.

There are only a couple companies that actually make oil filters...

Plus if you want Mobil 1, you might as well buy Supertech from Wal-mart. Its the same stuff.

Last edited by bpark8824; 12-05-2009 at 06:15 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:12 PM
RoaminGnome
All Star

arent the autolight 3923 the best for our motors? I know they are for the magnums but Im not sure the 4.7 is a magnum or if it is if the autolights are the best for it.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:05 PM
willyb8
Amateur

Originally Posted by RoaminGnome
arent the autolight 3923 the best for our motors? I know they are for the magnums but Im not sure the 4.7 is a magnum or if it is if the autolights are the best for it.

who makes the OEM plugs? NGK. Champion. Autolite?

Quick Reply: noob tuneup questions