2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

noob tuneup questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 12:48 AM
ptesmoke
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bpark8824
I think you need to more homework on this issue. Dodge does NOT make the Mopar filters. They are made by various other companies and not all are the same. So even though you may by the the same filter at wal-mart each time, the actual filter inside could be different. Some Mopar filters are ACTUALLY FRAM filters. So if you say no to Fram you might want to reconsider the Mopar. They are also Purolators and Wixes. Mopar doesn't require anything special from this makers and just ends up painting them black and stamping a big M on them...

I agree that the Fram filters are junk, they are all cardboard and don't filter very well. I've seen cut up filters and WIX, Purolator, and K&N's filters were the best by far.

There are only a couple companies that actually make oil filters...

Plus if you want Mobil 1, you might as well buy Supertech from Wal-mart. Its the same stuff.

i agree with prety much all of this except i have yet to switch to synthetic, and out of all the conventional oil mobil 1 super 1000 or whatever its called, is by far the best conventional ive ever used. paired with a K&N filter my oil is still clean after 5k.

i will say that Fram is crap and so are the mopars we get here in canada because im pretty sure they are frams. also supertech i did hear was mobil 1, but i think its conventional, not synthetic.

in any case, try to stay away from fram, pretty much any oil and any 8-12 dollar filter wont do you wrong. but personally out of all of them i think the K&N is far better than the rest in terms of construction and quality.

Ptesmoke

Old 03-17-2010, 12:24 AM
Independentfool
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im reviving this thread because i have a noob question.

Why do none of the online parts stores show a fuel filter for my truck?? is it a non-serviceable item ??

Quick Reply: noob tuneup questions