2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

belt noise but not squealing

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 10:38 PM
ZAKMAN
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default belt noise but not squealing

when my trucks idling every couple seconds ill hear a weird noise coming from what sounds like the belt. its not a high pitch squeal like most belts when they make noise but like a weird sorta grinding noise but the belts not rubbing. ive read of water pump issues could this be it and how would i go about checking the water pump?

also i have a 98 dakota port v6 magnum

Old 02-18-2010, 10:53 PM
chickenlights
Amateur

you could just have an idler pulley going out. take the belt off and spin the pullies by hand and see if one of them feels rough. also you could use a long screw driver and place the tip on the bolt head of the pulley while it is running and place the other end behind your ear. it will work like a drs stethescope so you can hear it grinding.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:04 PM
ZAKMAN
Professional

ill try spinning the pullys and wouldnt a hose like a fuel line do the same thing? id rather not hav a long screwdriver get caught on the pulley and smack me and or my truck lol

Old 02-18-2010, 11:12 PM
chickenlights
Amateur

you want something solid so that it can transfer the vibration. just be careful. you should be alright if you keep it on the head of the bolt that holds the pully on. this trick also works for finding misfires.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:16 PM
ZAKMAN
Professional

allright well im bringing it into school tomorrow so i can check out my blown muffler and balance my wheels so ill ask my teacher what he thinks but i will try wat u told me how hard is it to replace these water pumps ive never done it on one like this all the ones ive done were just a couple bolts and taking the belt off this one looks like i gotta take the fan shroud, fan, and belt off just so i can get the thing off

Old 02-18-2010, 11:20 PM
chickenlights
Amateur

i have never done one on the v6 but i think it is the same as the v8. they aren't that bad. it will take some time but anyone that knows their way around a wrench should be able to do it. just make sure the surface is very clean so that the gasket makes a good seal. i even put a light coat of silicon on the gasket to help it stick to the block and it helps it seal better. but i am not betting its the water pump though

Old 02-18-2010, 11:25 PM
ZAKMAN
Professional

i also forgot to put that when i left my driveway this morning there was what my dad thought was antifreeze in the snow i didnt see it as when i got home it was covered with snow again

Old 02-19-2010, 10:06 AM
Jimbo455

Xakman I would take a good look at the Water pump if there was any antifreeze driping out. Check down at the bottom of the pump assembly for signs of a drip or small leak. I had the same thing happen on my Jeep Wrangler, I left it for a while but it will just get worse.

Quick Reply: belt noise but not squealing