2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Thinking of switching to R/T..

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 03:34 AM
Rakaric
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of switching to R/T..

So...lately I've been thinking it's time to move on to new things. Haha, right now it already hurts just thinking of parting from my current truck. Here's the thing...I'll be moving on to away college and stuff so I'll be doing a little more driving, which is why I'm thinking I want to switch. I don't know if I'll be sticking to my current job or not, but if I don't...I probably won't need the 4x4 as much. The only real downfall is not having a good 4x4 for wintertime. I figured why not just get a 5.9L since the 4.7L is so limited, and just have a little fun? I can get a pretty loaded R/T for 6500 bucks from someone across town...so I was kinda wondering what these trucks go for lately. My truck has somewhere around 101k miles. Tread life and brakes still have a long way to go...and there is not a single problem. How much you think I can get for mine? The sound system is fully loaded and everything runs like a charm. I also have a remote/keyless system installed by me as well...just need a ballpark and previous experiences.

Old 05-15-2010, 03:05 PM
cowboy63645
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't tell ya what yours is worth, but a good place to start would be the NADA, kelly blue book, and get on auto trader, do a search within 100 mile radius of you to see what others are selling for with some of the same options as yours. That should get ya started! Good luck with the sale and hope ya get exactly what your lookin for!

Old 05-15-2010, 09:43 PM
SpencerS
Captain

Honestly, the 4.7 will do you fine for pretty much anything. Its just a great standard truck. The only thing you will be gaining is horsepower from a r/t. But the question is do you really need it?

I dont know about you but since ive moved away to college I am glad to have this dakota instead of my f-250 diesil(although i do miss the 5 speed). The gas mileage is quite a bit better if you dont have a lead foot.

and i also like the look of your truck way better than some bagger r/t. Just my 2cents!

Old 05-17-2010, 01:56 PM
wewanaplay
Veteran

Who says you gotta bag an R/T???

Old 05-17-2010, 04:54 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you sell ur truck can I have your wheels and tires and bull bar lol anyway the r/t is going to have pretty crappy mpg but if it was me I wouldnt get rid of your truck it looks good but it is ur truck and its really up to you id say you can get a pretty good price for your truck.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:14 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's all up to you man, I mean you probably could get 6500 for your truck. Or 6 anyway.

If you want an r/t, I say do it up. In the winter through on some studded snows and you'll be okay for the most part.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:54 PM
Rakaric
Record Breaker

Yea I was thinking about I can get it for 6500, which is funny cuz the Dak I was lookin at is being sold for that exact price...so I actually wouldn't be losing anything....except for the blood, sweat, and tears put in to my Dak. However, I think the work and money is just about even anyway cuz this R/T is pretty much loaded with the typical 5.9 upgrades. The listing's 1 week posting expired so I can't show it for now, but I did get a pic in the email...

Old 05-17-2010, 09:33 PM
SpencerS
Captain

it looks lowered. But hey man its all up to you. Personally I love my truck cause i get anywhere with it. ive bled with my truck like you many times.

and i think your truck looks way better than that r/t. But hey if you really need the street power go for it!

at first glance it will look like a step up because its something new, but just think of when you want to go mudding with your friends or at least going to the dunes with it!

but all in all go with what really makes you happier in the long run!

Old 05-17-2010, 09:56 PM
Rakaric
Record Breaker

Heh, well I haven't had much playroom anyway with off-roading. With all honesty, even though I love my truck...it is also only a first love. I do plan on getting a beater with the R/T, so overall I have the play car, and the economy car...so I'd be spending less money on gas, so it wouldn't all be completely lost. I think getting an R/T would be like a whole new adventure. I had my 4x4 since 2005 and it's been a great run, and I'd hate to see it go, but life does move on. If I had a million dollars I'd keep it, but unfortunately I don't have that soo...yea =P

There are some aspects of this R/T I don't like...the tail lights and random sticker, and the poorly laid out bed stripe...but in my hands, **** can happen, haha.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:32 PM
00dakSport
All Star

looks like a nice find, i don't blame you for going w/ the 5.9

are those tails black? if you don't like em i could trade you my stockers lol
j/k but if there black they'd look sweet on my red truck.

Quick Reply: Thinking of switching to R/T..