2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Just introducing myself...

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010 | 10:35 AM
twitchy
|
Professional
Default Just introducing myself...

Hello,

Just introducing myself. I'm 33, married and a proud new owner of a 2000 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x2 CC 3.9L V6. She's got everything I need in a truck except maybe more engine ... but I still love her.

I'm not a home mechanic, but I would love to be able to do some work myself. Someday perhaps that'll be an option... for now I rely on my mechanic...

I've always wanted a Truck, and this was the best option to suit myself and the wife's needs as well. Wife wanted comfort, decent fuel economy, and functionality... I wanted a Truck...

Ford Ranger is essentially a car, with big wheels, so that was out; Chevy Xtreme was too small, but lots of bawls... too small for the wife though, not enough elbow room, and not enough for the Dog... fair enough, that was out too; Ram and F150 are too big (I'm a little guy, and anything bigger than a mid-size is too big for me)

So we found a Dodge Dakota, took it for a spin and fell in love.

She's got dual Magnaflow exhaust, and everything else, (for now...) is stock.

She needs a little work, but she's in good condition... minor rust, typical Dodge 'bubble' over the rear passenger side wheel well... and some rust in the frame. All of which can be cleaned up.

Needing new shocks, pinion seal, and as of this past weekend, the bolts holding the pipe to the header rusted out with the heat and rough highway trip we had. gotta get that in ASAP to get it fixed. Probably something I could do on my own though if I had a shop. Seems like a simple enough job (perhaps a little naive on my part?)

Anyway, I look forward to being a part of the community here.

PICS
These pics are from the dealer, prior to a few touch ups...
I'll take some additional shots later on...

Last edited by twitchy; 07-05-2010 at 01:11 PM. Reason: typo fix
Old 07-05-2010 | 12:32 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

Welcome to DF! I will move this to the 2nd Generation Dakota Sub-Forum, where there is more traffic.

Old 07-05-2010 | 12:45 PM
twitchy
|
Professional

Thanks!

Old 07-05-2010 | 12:48 PM
thunder98110
Champion

welcome, post up some photos!

Old 07-05-2010 | 01:18 PM
twitchy
|
Professional

Added a couple dealer photos...

I'm still impressed that she's only got 84000km (~52200miles)

She's an automatic, which takes some getting used to after having a manual for the last few years.

planned modifications:

- hard tonneau
- new shocks
- finish exhaust piping (sadly the whole assembly from engine to exhaust tip wasn't stainless)
- K&N Air and Oil filters (unless someone can recommend something better)
- new speakers (JBL, on hand, waiting for time to take apart interior panels)
- rims / tires... (currently stock fifteens)

Old 07-05-2010 | 04:55 PM
00dakSport
All Star

welcome twitchy, i like that blue on the truck.

i've said this a bunch already but ill say it again. you could always make your own air intake. alot of threads about it and i got pics of the one i made in my garage album.

Old 07-05-2010 | 05:36 PM
fourpointseven
Professional

Nice to meet you and welcome to the forum! Lots of Useful help and tips here, you will catch on quick. the sky is the limit when learning new tricks to fix your problems

Old 07-05-2010 | 07:31 PM
McNasy
Veteran

welcome to the community. just a heads up, when you pull your door panels, pull up on them and not out. after you take the screws out of course. just a reminder for yall before you break the hooks. i hope you enjoy your DAK! oh yeah, shouldnt a sport have flares? just an after thought.

Old 07-05-2010 | 10:30 PM
twitchy
|
Professional

it's possible the flares were removed, or that they were optional up here back in 2000.
I'm not sure off hand, and would need to research. Either way, she's in good shape, and will be in better shape over time!

Thanks for the heads up on the door panels, I was planning to buy a clip remover, do you think that's necessary? or should it be okay without one?

Old 07-05-2010 | 10:42 PM
00dakSport
All Star

i got my door panels off with just a long flat screwdriver. you probally don't need to buy a special tool.

Quick Reply: Just introducing myself...