2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Can I keep stock size shocks and driveshaft with 2-3" of lift on my 2wd 3.7L?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010 | 12:19 PM
Rantz
|
Veteran

Then it looks like I'll go with 2" of lift when I do move forward with this. I will use lift coils for the front as planned. Then I'll do the spring over axle swap and then put 4x4 shackles and hangers to bring it down. That will net me around 2-3" of lift in the rear.

I need to make sure what it'll do to the rear before i commit to either 2" or 3" lift coils for the front. So maybe I'll do the rear first and let that help me decide what to do with the front. I just don't want to have to drive around with my @ss lifted and not the front.

Old 09-19-2010 | 12:37 PM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by Rantz
Then it looks like I'll go with 2" of lift when I do move forward with this. I will use lift coils for the front as planned. Then I'll do the spring over axle swap and then put 4x4 shackles and hangers to bring it down. That will net me around 2-3" of lift in the rear.

I need to make sure what it'll do to the rear before i commit to either 2" or 3" lift coils for the front. So maybe I'll do the rear first and let that help me decide what to do with the front. I just don't want to have to drive around with my @ss lifted and not the front.
Looks like we're both on the same page. I'm going with V8 coils plus a spacer up front, and extended shackles in the rear. I'm gonna do my front first because that's where I'm having issues, and use that measurement to pick the set of shackle extentions.

Edit- The springs you linked to are $95 w/ powdercoat, the JY quoted me $60 for the V8 springs. Now I'm caught up in a dilemma of what to go with... My main concern is if the suspension becomes over-extended from the longer spring (+3") vs the V8 spring + spacer (2"). Not sure how much difference the extra inch is. The rear, I'm probably going to end up using pinion shims or pulling out the welder.... I'd SOA but don't have the time/resources to put much time into that.

Last edited by magnethead; 09-19-2010 at 12:42 PM.
Old 09-19-2010 | 12:59 PM
Rantz
|
Veteran

Originally Posted by magnethead
Here's the ones my eyes are on. All you need is 2.5" spring width, doesnt care if they're for a ford or chevy. On a 2wd, because the hangers face down, the shackles say "drop", but are actually lift, because they increase the distance between the hanger and spring.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G904000/
How do we know that the dodge ram shackles seen here are the proper length to make 2" of difference with our dakotas?

Do we need to replace the shackles and the hangers?

Old 09-19-2010 | 01:18 PM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by Rantz
How do we know that the dodge ram shackles seen here are the proper length to make 2" of difference with our dakotas?

Do we need to replace the shackles and the hangers?
we don't, and no. It depends on how long the new shackles are vs old, all geometery. Thats why I wan to do my fronts first. That way I can measure how much I gain up front, and try to equalize it in back, or at least level things out

Last edited by magnethead; 09-19-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old 09-19-2010 | 07:22 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

As far the what the FAQ is talking about is the shackle mounts not the shackles themselves. You will have to cut off the rivets of another trucks mounts and cut yours and bolt them in. It is not simple.

I would say your stock shocks will work, but it will not have as much up travel though. But to see how bad it is get a jack and jack up the front end up 2-3in. See if your shocks are toping out, and how much more travel they got. If needed to check unbolt one end and see how much more it can travel above the lift point.

Old 09-19-2010 | 07:34 PM
Rantz
|
Veteran

I'm almost starting to wonder if it would be easier and simpler to just do a body lift. Can a body lift be achieved by the DIYer?

***Edit*** Did an internet search and it seems that a body lift is doable...

Last edited by Rantz; 09-19-2010 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Body lifts are doable for DIYer
Old 09-19-2010 | 07:53 PM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
As far the what the FAQ is talking about is the shackle mounts not the shackles themselves. You will have to cut off the rivets of another trucks mounts and cut yours and bolt them in. It is not simple.

I would say your stock shocks will work, but it will not have as much up travel though. But to see how bad it is get a jack and jack up the front end up 2-3in. See if your shocks are toping out, and how much more travel they got. If needed to check unbolt one end and see how much more it can travel above the lift point.
this is how I was going to do it. Just to measure my total droop (measuring fender to top of tire), subtract my sitting clearance, and see what's left. That will dictate what I decide on for my suspension package.

Quick Reply: Can I keep stock size shocks and driveshaft with 2-3" of lift on my 2wd 3.7L?