2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

rusted spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 09:37 PM
wlkingdead
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry rusted spark plugs

hey, i'm new here and this is my first dodge. its a 98 dakota sport v6 4x4.
my issue is that i cannot remove 2 of my spark plugs because of rust build-up inside the surrounding collar (can't get the 5/8 to even grip the plug). any tricks to remove the rust? i've tried pb soaking and even shaved down a socket. are there any other rust removers that'll break it up? thanks

Old 09-02-2010, 09:56 PM
Rantz
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't believe pb blaster didn't do it... uhhh How do you feel about taking the cover off to get closer to the plug (if that's even possible)? I'm just guessing here. I'd like to see the answer to this one...

Old 09-02-2010, 11:33 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would try soaking it in pb then letting the truck warm up then shut off respray it then repeat it 3 or 4 times and the last time do it while it is still hot but only thing that would scare me is depending how much rust is in there then when you do get it out how much might go into the cylinder.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:44 PM
Rantz
Veteran

I was fearful of the same thing when I did my tuneup. So I stuck a small vacuum attachment down in there and sucked all of that stuff out.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:47 PM
RPMRamFury
Professional

Don't do it when it's hot. Heat expands therefore making the plug larger. Try to get it as cold as possible, but dont break the plug off. The only other thing I'd suggest is to take a dremmel and take off some of the rust until you can get the socket over it.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:49 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RPMRamFury
Don't do it when it's hot. Heat expands therefore making the plug larger. Try to get it as cold as possible, but dont break the plug off. The only other thing I'd suggest is to take a dremmel and take off some of the rust until you can get the socket over it.
I was thinking I heat a bolt to get it out easier so I thought hey it might work lol

Old 09-03-2010, 09:29 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

There is a penetrant spray called Kroil, or I have seen it labeled Aero-Kroil, it is the best penetrant/rusted bolt-nut loosening spray I have ever used. If you can find it, buy a can and spray the plugs liberally with it and let the truck sit overnight.

If you can't find any Kroil, try the Liquid Wrench penetrant spray. Same method, spray it on the plugs with the engine cold, let it sit overnight, try breaking the plugs loose in the morning. You can also spray it several times during the night, really soak it well and let it sit until morning.

Jimmy

Old 09-03-2010, 06:00 PM
dakota19762
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first tune-up was similar to your problem. I used Channel-locks to pull off the metal cover, then used a long #0 flathead screwdriver to chip out whatever the hell that stuff was (looked like gray ceramic clay or concrete). I used a can of air (keyboard cleaner) to blow out the chips, then I could get a socket on it.... A word of advise to you, go to the auto parts store and get a "spark plug chaser" tool. About $10 and worth it. It cleans out the threads in the cylinder head. But you will have to remove the covers/ sleeves to use it.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...mString=search

Old 09-03-2010, 07:25 PM
LAKOTA169
All Star

Might not work for your needs, but for rusted bolts, a 50/50 mixture of atf fluid and acetone is said to work. Copied this from a old car forum.

PB Blaster=ok. A 50/50 mix of acetone & ATF=Best Ever! Here's the cold, hard facts from the April/May 2007 edition of Machinist's Workshop. They did a test of penetrating oils where they measured the force required to loosen rusty test devices. Buy the issue if you want to see how they did the test. The results reported were interesting. The lower the number of pounds the better.

Penetrating oil . Average load .. Price per fluid ounce
None ................. 516 pounds .
WD-40 .............. 238 pounds .. $0.25
PB Blaster ......... 214 pounds .. $0.35
Liquid Wrench ... 127 pounds .. $0.21
Kano Kroil ........ 106 pounds .. $0.75
ATF-Acetone mix.. 53 pounds .. $0.10
-------------------------------------------------------

Old 09-03-2010, 08:08 PM
bpark8824
Champion

Pb blaster isn't it's all cracked up to be. It's kinda the known brand but as you can see from the table above, it isn't the greatest.

I've never tried ATF and acetone. I will definitly have to remember that next time I can't get some bolts loose. I DEFINITLY could have used that when I changed my shocks. Those bolts were on there....

Quick Reply: rusted spark plugs